Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat litter poll

kayla
May 12th, 2006, 08:08 AM
What's your favorite type of cat litter? I'm new to the world of cats and am trying to figure out what the best type of litter to use is. Which one is the best odour controller, the healthiest for the cat, best for the environment etc etc?

Also does anyone know if there is a type of litter you can use in a compost heap?

jessi76
May 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I use Arm & Hammer Multi Cat Clumping Litter. But I also put down a layer of regular baking soda first, then top it with the kitty litter. Although the Arm & Hammer brand has some baking soda in it, I find doing the layer in the bottom of the box helps immensely. Controls odors great. Then when the cats use it, and scratch, it mixes in.

I don't compost, so I can't answer that question. I just scoop daily, bag it, and toss in the trash.

LM1313
May 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Be careful about dirt from the garden, it can contain parasites.

I've used various litters for my kitties.

Corn litter - Digestible, clumping, flushable litter. Great if you have young kittens who accidentally step in their pee. Clay clumping litter can be harmful to them if they digest it while licking off their paws, but corn will go right through them. However, it is not great for odor control, even the "multi cat" version.

Clay clumping litters - All the "odor eater" ones I've tried have been very good at controlling odor and the clumps get VERY hard, which makes them easy to scoop. However, you have to make sure the cat doesn't ingest it while grooming. Not flushable.

Pine litter - I've tried the kind with little wormy pieces of pine about a half inch long and that stuff is worthless. However, the stuff that is ground fine into tiny pieces (the size of normal litter) seems to work pretty well. Very "pine scented." It's what I'm using right now. It's also flushable.

My kitties prefer anything with very strong odor-controlling smells because they're very serious about hiding their pee, but they're okay with all the other kinds I've tried as well. Luckily they aren't too picky! ;)

~LM~

lilith_rizel
May 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I use Cat's Pride clumpin litter. It's pretty good for keeping the smell down... But I also clean the litter box daily, and have a covered box. But with two kitties using it (they rarely use the other one I have in the house) it's pretty good....

happycats
May 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I love pine (the sawdust looking kind)I have 5 cats! It's the best, less odour, non-tracking, light, much less is needed, safe, all natural, and compostable!! What's not to love?
Unfortunately I can;t use :sad: My son developed really bad allergies from it, so do be careful, as someone in your home may be sensitive to it.

kayla
May 12th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Interesting so many people have chosen pine so far, I had never even heard of it before doing a little research online today. I've never seen it either, I will have to keep my eyes open for it. Compostable too, that's great!

chico2
May 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I've tried all kinds,even Yesterdays news which is made from recycled news-paper,my cats went on strike:p
So I am back to clumping litter,I was worried about the dust,Pet Values own is 99,9% dustfree.
It's not only ingesting the clay you have to worry about,the dust can cause even more harm to a cat,especially in an enclosed box.
I clean mine every day and change the entire litter every 2 weeks.

cpietra16
May 12th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I've been using pine for a long time...It available at Zellers...it the only plave I've seen it. It great...and its flushable.:D

PetFriendly
May 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
We use wheat based litter as it clumps really well, is pretty much dust free and keeps the smell down.
before that we used the purina multi cat clumping stuff for the same reasons as above!
They weren't crazy about the switch to wheat but didn't quite go into strike mode ;)

kayla
May 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I had some foster kitties last year who went into strike with Yesterdays News, and I know other cat owners who have said the same thing so I haven't tried it again. I am currently using the crystal litter which is pretty good since it doesn't have the dust factor, but I was hoping for something a little better for the environment. I find the layer of baking soda on the bottom really helps too. Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try to find the wheat or pine litter and give it a try next time!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I dont have a cat but if I did it would be clumping for sure. That is only if I cant get him to do his business on the toilet. :D

kayla
May 13th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I was thinking of toilet training but read about it and apparently it's really unnatural for cats to squat like that over the toilet and can cause damage.

rainbow
May 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I use the clumping litter as well. I was thinking of switching to Yesterday's News but after reading the posts here, I definitely won't be now.:eek:

I've never seen the pine ones but will check out Zellers the next time we go. What is the brand name and does it clump?

I've also never seen the wheat or corn based ones. What is a brand name and where are they available? We don't have any large pet stores near us so the only places close enough would be Zellers, Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire.

LM1313
May 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM
The corn-based one I used was World's Best (or World's Finest). I should add that the litter itself had a really weird scent. It really hits you, especially when you first open a new bag!

The pine one I'm using right now is Nature's Miracle. :) It does clump and is also flushable!

kayla
May 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Is it flushable for a septic system too?

jiorji
May 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I was thinking of toilet training but read about it and apparently it's really unnatural for cats to squat like that over the toilet and can cause damage.

But cats squat like that in the litter box anyways. And toilet training is safer as there's no inhaling of litter dust or dirty paws or kitty litter all over the house.

The problem with toilet training is that it takes quite a while to get right. Fussy kitties are very sceptical.

SnowDancer
May 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
We were using clumping clay cat litter - our cat weighs 23 lbs. and the dog 24 and he loves to "help" clean the litter box - no matter where we try to hide it. Not good for him. So since cat has been trying to kill me anyway for 16 years I have started to close him off in a couple of rooms when husband is at work. BUT, new problem was that cat started to dip all 4 paws into the wet litter and splatter in everywhere - including in my face. So we tried Swheatscoop and it is much better - but very expensive. Somehow my husband is going through a $29.99 Cdn. bag every 2 weeks with this cat. I figured forget Yesterday's News based on comments from people buying cat litter at Pet Smart. Quite a few like the Swheatscoop but not the price. Some are now mixing a couple of brands. A co-worker of my husband's swears by the silica. Might try that next.

CyberKitten
May 14th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I loathe everything about clumping litter of any kind - perhaps iot is in part bec it is not at all advisable of course to use it with kittens (since they like to sample things) But even adult cats pick stuff up on their feet and I would worry about that. I just for some reason do not likke the whole clumping thing, if I can call it that, lol

I use Yesterday's News.

I am not in favour of cats being toilet trained- YY's mom was but reverted to her natuaral ways after she had babies. Studies are not beginning to show it is not good for the cat - arthritis, etc.

kayla
May 14th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah this is what I've heard too. I wonder if you could get a special sort of toilet seat so they don't have to squat in such a weird position? It seems like such a good idea but not if it's going to cause health problems in the cat!

Brat
May 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Pine for the past few weeks.. We absolutely love it. We were using clumping litter and I found that our place stank even though I would clean the litter twice a day. With pine, I walk by and smell wood all the time.. I love it :) I scoop and flush twice a day. However, one of our cats does not seem to be too fond of it.. He has been having his way with our carpets and everything else. :( I need to find a solution.

kayla
May 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
My sister has been switching over to Yesterdays News and her cats don't like it much so she is adding it bit by bit to their old litter to get them used to it gradually. Have you tried this?

Brat
May 14th, 2006, 06:03 PM
My sister has been switching over to Yesterdays News and her cats don't like it much so she is adding it bit by bit to their old litter to get them used to it gradually. Have you tried this?

I'm going to start doing that tomorrow. I just need to buy some more of the old litter.

glasslass
May 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
My cat was fastidious. She wanted the litter box scooped right away and wouldn't use it again until it was clean again. The clumps made it easy to get it all out.

Stacer
May 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM
We've tried both corn and wheat litter. We found that the corn litter had a strange smell and didn't clump as well. So now we're sticking with Swheat Scoop. It's clumping, flushable and compostable. It's expensive, but we really like it and so do the cats. Flushable was key for us since we live in an apartment and wanted to be able to get rid of the stink immediately and not have to worry about scooping and putting into garbage bags. And it's not too bad for tracking all over the place, you can't really get away from tracking completely though.

PetFriendly
May 16th, 2006, 07:38 PM
The wheat stuff we use is called Swheat Scoop and it says 'Biodegradable and flushable' onthe bag so I'm thinking it would be ok for a septic system. I buy it at PetValu (a smaller pet store and have also seen it at Berry's Pet Store), its kind of expensive but well worth is since it lasts longer and absorbes better (who can put a price on not smelling kitty poop ;) )

Sneaky
May 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I use Petcetera Brand Clumping Clay litter.
I did use the Pine stuff, but found it to be way too
expensive and it didnt last very long at all,
basically one pee and the whole box has to go.

I like the clay, not as good on smells, but I add baking
soda and scoop daily into the litter locker.
I have a huge igloo shaped Booda catbox,
so it gets changed every 2-3 weeks or when it smells
bad, and I wash the litter box out with warm water and
soap once a month as well.

But - no more litter box soon. My cat is going to be an
outdoor cat as of tomorrow woohooo.

chico2
May 18th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Oh no SneakyPete,why would you throw him/her out not a good idea:sad:
Mine do a lot of their business when they are outside with me,but I would NEVER leave them out alone..

Sneaky
May 20th, 2006, 01:49 PM
My cat is going to be outdoor, as we live in a peaceful place
with very little traffic. He watches our other cat go outside
and I dont think its fair to him.
So, I got him all his shots up to date, and out he goes!
Hes staying close to home anyway, which is what our other
cat does, and it works well.
I am a strong believer in cats being allowed outside.

Mareva
May 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I tried the corn litter from Provigo (big green bag) and it worked quite well if the litter was scooped everyday. I went away for 3 days and I came back to a terrible smell! So you need to scoop everyday if you want to avoid the smell when using corn.

I would think it is compostable too. Are you aware that if you are using cat litter in your compost you must avoid putting that compost in a vegetable garden? There is a risk of transmitting diseases or parasite to your vegetable and then to yourself when you eat them. But it would be great for plants!

PetFriendly
May 20th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I would think it is compostable too. Are you aware that if you are using cat litter in your compost you must avoid putting that compost in a vegetable garden? There is a risk of transmitting diseases or parasite to your vegetable and then to yourself when you eat them. But it would be great for plants!

How can pig, sheep and cattle manure be ok and cat litter not? Do you know how many cats use your garden when you're not looking?! How come cats are different?

Sneaky
May 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I have heard you shouldnt use cat manure on a veggie garden
because the food we feed them makes their poop very acidic,
and can burn and kill plants.

Mareva
May 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM
What I was referring to earlier, and what makes cats different than cows or pigs: cats carry the toxoplasma gondii in their feces. If you ever heard that pregnant women shouldn't take care of a cat litter that's why. This pathogen can cause brain damages to the foetus. I re-read my reference to make sure and it says the composting process won't kill the pathogen so when you apply compost to your garden you are spreading the pathogen in it. Now, It isn't clear if it's eating the vegetables or working in your garden that would cause you to catch the disease. It's rather harmless to adults (you'd feel like you got a cold) but as I said, can be real bad for a foetus. I hope this answers your questions.

cpietra16
May 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM
I gave birth to 3 healthy babies...and I scooped all thru my pregnancy...Having said that, I'm not saying that every pregnant woman should scoop...there is always a danger, but I researched and confirmed with my doctor...If you've been around cat poop all your life, chances are you already carry the virus...so your baby is safe....then again I sometimes wonder about my 5 year old daughter;) ...but my doctor assured me its the 5 year old virus that has consumed her:p

PetFriendly
May 21st, 2006, 09:47 AM
oic

I'll take a guess that the pathogen is in the dirt, and by playing in the dirt you may get it in your mouth. Thanks for the explanation!