Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sores on top of head of dog

Chuck
May 12th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I have two VERY large Anatolian/Peranise Guard Dogs for my sheep. They all of a sudden developed scabs like sores on the top of their head. Too big to take to a Vet. Could call one out but?? We are experiencing wet warm weather here and immediately treated them with Right Guard dog and flea treatment. Pored iodine on the top of thier heads on the sores. I am very worried that something else needs to be done. They are just such great big lovable caring animals. Can anyone suggest a home remedy for those sores. The female shows that they are sore when looking at them.

chico2
May 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I have no idea what it could be,but a little befuddled why the dogs would be too big to take to the vet:confused:
I am hoping you would not have to carry them(just joking:D :D )
Jokes aside,they probably will need to see a vet,since they both have it,I assume it's something contagious.
Love to see a pic of these BIG dogs,are they Irish Wolfhounds???
Welcome to the Forum!!

BMDLuver
May 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM
As you have a vet most likely for your livestock, I would suggest that you give him a call and have him take a look at the dogs. Most Farm vets still remember their small animal rotation and that would eliminate the problem of having to take them in to a vet's office.

OntarioGreys
May 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
I have no idea what it could be,but a little befuddled why the dogs would be too big to take to the vet:confused:
I am hoping you would not have to carry them(just joking:D :D )
Jokes aside,they probably will need to see a vet,since they both have it,I assume it's something contagious.
Love to see a pic of these BIG dogs,are they Irish Wolfhounds???
Welcome to the Forum!!

These would be a anatolian shepherd/ Great Pyrenees crosses, a males would be around 125 lbs, a little difficult to put 2 in the back seat of a car

This is an anatolian
http://www.anatoliandog.org/OMAR.JPG

And the great Pyrenees
http://www.puppydogweb.com/caninebreeds/dogimages/greatpyrenees_pdw.jpg

I agree, they should be checked out by a vet

Chuck
May 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I just might get one of them in a trailer, but it will have to be quick and as soon as the other one sees what is going on he/she will have no more of it.
These are HUGE guard dogs and WILL NOT leave the sheep. You cannot even get them to go into another pasture until the sheep are there already. Most of these types of animals are very very protective and not putting up with human interference. Even the owner. These two are spoiled and very lovable but dedicated to the sheep, and stuborn as all get out. They have been letting me doctor their scabs and even allowing me to inspect other areas. BUT on the guard at all times. They seem to know I am trying to help. If the one I am working on wimpers the other is on top of me attempting to push me away. It is an amazing thing to behold. Called the Vet and he will not come out for a week, but told me to give them a penecillin shot and then see what happens. Hoping it is not mange. The hair does not seem to be effected just blood matted. Will Dr. this weekend and call another Vet. Only a person that has experienced these animals can understand or appreciate.

chico2
May 12th, 2006, 04:18 PM
OH wow!! I see what you mean,beautiful dogs though:pawprint:
I hope the vet can make a house-call :fingerscr

chico2
May 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I am sorry Chuck for joking,I have zero experience with this kind of thing,the dogs sound amazing and I hope you'll find a solution:thumbs up