Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat eating dogs food

bitterest
May 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I know cats are not suppose to eat dog food but my 15 yr old loves the puppies food so I switch off each day between dog and cat canned food each get half of can but they have their own dry foodall the time is this harming my cat?

mafiaprincess
May 11th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Cat food is higher in protein, dog food is lower. Is just not as healthy to give the wrong species food.

By switching off, the dog and cat get the same can per day, or just the cat is switchigng back and forth between cat food and dog food?

Also, depending upon brands.. I've seen some stuff in dog and cat food that I really wouldn't be comfortable giving the wrong pet.. but there's a lot of food I wouldn't feed the 'correct' species for the can either so...

LM1313
May 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Phantom (cat) would take it into her head to crunch a few pieces of the dog's food every once in a while. I have no idea why! Her own food was up higher than the dog could reach . . . otherwise the dog would have inhaled it in an instant!

bitterest
May 11th, 2006, 10:38 PM
each day the cat and dog share a can one day its dog (mighty dog) and one day its cat (friskies) I no its not the best but when I got puppy she was half starved and I was told to give her cat food for weight so I did and no changing her to dog food is hard cause my cat wants her food and he wants cats food so I figured switching was my best bet plus they have dry food so I think the nutrition is there. I just worry cause I dont want to hurt my cat or dog