Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

adopted dog with hip dysplexia

susieqt
May 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
One of my customers adopted a Golden Retriever from a shelter about two weeks ago. She just found out the dog has hip dysplexia (sp?). Her vet has quoted her a price of over $4,000 to fix the problem. She wants the shelter to pay for it.

My question is: what do you think would be fair in this dilemma? Should the customer return the dog; should she pay for the operation herself; or should the shelter foot the vet bill?

I should add that the dog showed no signs of any hip problems while he was at the shelter.

What do you all think?:confused:

kaytris
May 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
second opinion time...you may want to send the xrays to Guelph or another vet college.

Not every dog with hip dysplasia requires surgery.

poodletalk
May 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Susieqt, I adopted a dog from a shelter as well that had hip displysia, the shelter didn't realize he had it. That being said, they offered for thier vet to do the operation at the rate the shelter would have gotten, but I would have paid the bill.

I am very fortunate, my dog still hasn't needed the operation, it has been five years now. He takes glucomine every day and I make sure his weight is down and he gets plenty of excerise for muscle mass.

Does the dog need the operation ASAP? I would seek a second opion either at St.Hycanthies (sp) or at my vet in St.Lambert.

coppperbelle
May 11th, 2006, 08:40 PM
One of my customers adopted a Golden Retriever from a shelter about two weeks ago. She just found out the dog has hip dysplexia (sp?). Her vet has quoted her a price of over $4,000 to fix the problem. She wants the shelter to pay for it.

My question is: what do you think would be fair in this dilemma? Should the customer return the dog; should she pay for the operation herself; or should the shelter foot the vet bill?

I should add that the dog showed no signs of any hip problems while he was at the shelter.

What do you all think?:confused:

That is a difficult question to answer. If she decides to return the dog to the shelter it will probably be put down. I doubt the shelter has the funds to pay for such an expensive operation so I wouldn't count on them for financial support.
Is she certain that the dog has dysplasia? Maybe it would be a good idea to get a second opinion. Many levels of dysplasia are managed without surgery so maybe it is not necessary to operate.

susieqt
May 11th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Her vet seems pretty certain it is hip displaysia, she had x-rays taken.

kaytris
May 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM
there are different grades of hip dysplasia, and the dog may or may not need surgery now, or at some point in the future. There are alot of management protocols which may postpone or even eliminate the need for surgery. The vet school in Guelph evaluates many hip xrays, my recommendation would be either to get the dog looked at by another vet, and/or have the xrays sent to Guelph.

Boubou
May 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
But who should pay for all these costs? It is a very difficult thing to answer - certainly she would be refunded or be able to adopt another dog, but the dogs best interest is the question here. It is definitely hip dysplasia, confirmed by the xrays taken by her vet. He says the dog needs surgery. The customer wants the shelter to pay all the costs. Legally, I don't think a shelter has to pay for surgery. Morally, that's the issue here. I'm curious to know how other shelters/rescue groups handle situations like this. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, what did you do?

susieqt
May 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Kaytris, for your suggestions. I know that dogs don't always need surgery and the dysplasia can be managed. Hopefully the new adoptees will look at all these alternatives.

mummummum
May 12th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Wow - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concepts of "customer", "returns policy" and "repairs policy". As an adoptive Mum it never occurred to me to think of myself as a customer. I saw/see myself as the final link in the hand-to-hand and heart-to-heart rescue chain - if that makes any sense. When The Lad came home as many of you know, he was desperately ill for over three months and DID tally up 4 grand in Vet bills. Again - it never entered my mind that I could "return" him or request payment for his medical "repair" bills. All this talk of customers, returns and repairs makes me think of used cars. What's next - the "As Is" section ? "Scratch and Dent" sales? Sorry if I'm going on a bit -- it's just an alien concept to me.

susieqt
May 12th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I know exactly what you mean, Mummummum. I would never adopt a dog and return him/her for any reason, nor would I expect any shelter to pay for any vet bills that may incur after I have adopted an animal. I think what Boubou was saying is that from the adopters point of view, the shelter should pay for all the vet bills. That is why she used the term "customer". In my first post where I asked "should she return the dog", I asked that question as the new owner admanately does not want to pay the vet bill and the shelter in question does not have alot of money. In no way was I implying that the dog SHOULD be "returned", like a dress at Walmart.
I am not sure if I am rambling or making sense.........

LM1313
May 12th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Uh . . . why should the animal shelter have to pay for the surgery? It sounds like they weren't deceitful about the hip dysplasia, but simply didn't know about it. What if the dog had had allergies that the animal shelter didn't know about? Would the adopter expect the shelter to pay for the medications because the dog was "defective"? :sick:

The animal shelter where I adopted my kittens from offers a month of free pet insurance with the adoption, so that if problems arise the adopter can use the insurance to pay for them. That seems like a pretty good policy to me. As far as I know, it's offered on all their animals, regardless of age. (They must have some special deal going with the pet insurance company.)

~LM~

mummummum
May 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I know exactly what you mean, Mummummum. I would never adopt a dog and return him/her for any reason, nor would I expect any shelter to pay for any vet bills that may incur after I have adopted an animal. I think what Boubou was saying is that from the adopters point of view, the shelter should pay for all the vet bills. That is why she used the term "customer". In my first post where I asked "should she return the dog", I asked that question as the new owner admanately does not want to pay the vet bill and the shelter in question does not have alot of money. In no way was I implying that the dog SHOULD be "returned", like a dress at Walmart.
I am not sure if I am rambling or making sense.........

Oh - no, I didn't think you were implying "the customer" was right - sorry if that's the way it rambled out. It's just a WEIRD way to think - on the part of "the customer" that is.

Frenchy
May 13th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Suzieqt,I strongly suggest that your customer ask for a second opinion, $4000.00 is a lot of money,and the dog may not even need an operation.If it doesn't show,I don't see why he needs to go under the knife.As for shelter policy,when I adopted Bailey (from a shelter) I find out later et my vet that he was heartworm positive and had lots of different allergies.I adopted him,he was my dog,I took care of it.Never did I tought about asking the shelter to help.And they told me he was about 3 yr old.My vet's opinion;5-6 yr old.Unless you adopt from a very good breeder,you never know with what you will wound up.I didn't mind one bit,Bailey is the best dog!

jiorji
May 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I agree with LM...why should the shelter pay?? Don't they have enough to worry about feeding so many mouths anyways?? Plus maybe they didn't know. Many pets who arrive at the shelter don't get a full check up, and xrays aren't part of a regular vet visit. How would they have known?

I think she shoul return it because from the looks of it she wants a carefree pet. If you're not willing to adopt an animal and give money when he/she gets sick, for whatever reason, then why do you have it? That poor dog was lucky enough for someone to adopt it and find out her hip problem. Who knows how long it would've suffered if it stayed at the shelter.

So this woman should think long and hard. Animals get sick just like humans do. If she's not willing to fork the money over, then don't get a pet!

What's she going to do in a few years if this dog gets another medical issue?? Call the shelter up again to have them pay for it?

And i realize that it's 4,000 bucks we're talking about here, and it would be a pain in the bum to get a dog and have to pay so much on it right away, but the way I see it is: you've adopted this being to be its guardian, act like it, or give it back to a more responsible person.

i hope the dog gets the operation so it can releave the pain :love: