Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Freecycle Free Pet Trade!!!

Stacer
May 11th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Have you heard of the website Freecycle? If not, it's a good site to trade or get rid of stuff that you no longer want. It was originally set up to reduce the amount of stuff that went to landfills by allowing members to post their unwanted items. Unfortunately some people have taken to trading and giving away unwanted animals on this site. A member of this online community has started a petition to end the practice of giving animals away via this website community. The concern is that the people taking these animals will not have the animal's best interest at heart, and that the possibility of abuse is very high.
If you would like to sign this petition here's the URL: http://www.petitiononline.com/pettrade/petition.html

Hopefully the moderators of this site will put an end to this.

mafiaprincess
May 11th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Some freecycle groups have banned pets as an item to get rid of, some put it to a vote and not many I don't think were won.. and some groups were made aware why free pets is bad, and got back nasty nasty responses telling them to get of freecycel if they didn't like it. So I unsubscribed with a few others I know.

mummummum
May 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I think the petition you are posting relates only to Tucson (and you are in Toronto no?). There are a quite few Freecycle groups in Toronto (along with freeTOreuse and a new Canada-wide group) and each group polled their members as to whether they wished to allow the posting of animals wanted or for offer. if you a re a member of a group, it's certainly a topic to revisit on the group's Cafe site.

Stacer
May 12th, 2006, 05:04 PM
This petition is for London, ON group. I received an email from my mom about it (she lives near London) and she asked me to pass it on to anyone I thought might sign it.

The first paragraph of the petition gives background info and says that Freecycle originated in Tucson, but the petition is actually for the London area.
"The Freecycle Network was started in May 2003 to promote waste reduction in Tucson's downtown and help save desert landscape from being taken over by landfills. The Network provides individuals and non-profits an electronic forum to "recycle" unwanted items. One person's trash can truly be another's treasure!"

lezzpezz
May 12th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Here's what I wrote:

"Please do not allow animals to be given away on this site. These animals may end up in truly unsave and unhealthy, abusive environments. There are other more appropriate and trustworthy channels available for rehoming pets. Please redirect posters to willing rescue organizations whose entire purpose is to find safe homes for animals in need. "

I read all of the signatures and noticed that a local animal behaviourist, trainer and columnist, Yvette Van Veen, as well as the head of ARF Ontario in London, also put on very clear comments against postings of this nature. That is wonderful!

For the record, I also make a point of personally emailing almost every poster that wishes to "dump" a pet, and suggest that they contact one of the many rescue/foster groups (ARF included), that take great care in rehoming animals in need. I ask that they email me if they require contact info to one of the many rescues available in London and area, and also tell them WHY it is unsafe to just post their pet for anyone to pick up....

Believe me...I have been called names, told to mind my own beeswax and told that "I would never just give my pet to anyone! I love my pet and would be very careful to not just give it to anyone!!" Right.....

I can only hope that by giving tips on how to screen for an appropriate owner, and what type of scenarios to watch for, that I may have prevented some terrible situations from occurring. I know that just by planting the seed and putting in my unwanted 2 cents worth, I may have made the giver THINK before he/she just gave away an animal....

All I can do is try. I swear I do this on average twice a day to London pet posters on various site...can't help myself! Another is London Ontario Classifieds. I emailed the moderator of that site as well (as Freecycle London) and he, (London Ont Classifieds) emailed back that people are free to post whatever bullpucky they wish...no stopping animal giveaway posts. At least I tried.....and I will continue to share my delightful insight and opinions to those that post such ads.

I am on the case in London!!:D

rainbow
May 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
The freecycle group I belong to here does ban animals.:thumbs up

Stacer
May 15th, 2006, 05:46 PM
lezzpezz. you're awesome.

jrfrenzy
May 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
The Mod. of the Durham Freecycle group has also banned the posting of animals. :pawprint:

I had thought it was standard procedure. Very disappointing to hear it's not a universal policy. :mad:

Kate

lezzpezz
May 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Just doin' my part....I learned most of my schtick from you guys here on Pets.ca! I came aboard a few years back (WOW!! seems like yesterday:D ) and learned so much about fostering/rescue and just plain ol' common sense, that I feel compelled to share the wealth with the "uneducated".

I have heard of sad cases where people have given away their pet, and when they went to follow up on the wellbeing of the animal, the phone # given is disconnected, the house doesn't exist and they are panicked to find out where their "beloved" pet has ended up!

So, if I can enlighten folks to the resources at my fingertips, I WILL! and make everyone happy all around!

:grouphug:

lezzpezz
May 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM
This just appeared on Freecycle London Ontario and I offered to be a pet moderator! It's a step in the right direction!

Date: Wed May 24, 2006 5:25 am
Subject: Admin.Wanted a couple of pet moderators artsonline2003
Send Email
Invite to Yahoo! 360

The selected moderators will become part of the freecycleLondonOntario
moderators team, and will be directly responsible with the help of one
of our other moderators for pet posts.
WE are recently without a pet moderator, and need one atleast badly.
Nes
freecycleLondonOntario

I figure if I get my foot in the door, I can make some changes somehow....

Open to suggestions here.....would like the whole thing abolished but at least by moderating, I can help the animals somehow.:pawprint:

doggy lover
May 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I signed the petition. Next they will be selling there skin\kids on there.

Stacer
May 24th, 2006, 06:36 PM
definitely a step in the right direction, lezzpezz. Hopefully you can make a difference.

CyberKitten
May 24th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Our Freecycle does not have "free" pets but alas, an advertiser arrived on my doorstep today and there are free kittens as well as free labs!!! And some of the kittens are Siamese Himmis, believe it or not. There is also a free GS, what do ppl think? Gawd! I called the number but had to leave a message. I may post my own ad about why free is not good, These ads did not even say "to a good home". Gawd!!!!! I am appalled!

I do have a notion to go and get the meezer Himmies and bring them home and then find good homes for them, once they are spayed /neutered/vetted et al. I wonder if they are even 12 weeks old though? Whatya think?

mafiaprincess
May 24th, 2006, 07:07 PM
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/ makes me more sad than looking at craigslist. They have a bunch of the most major cities, people looking for stupid stuff, like 'purebred chi pup for under 100 and stuff.. along with free pets and things. It's heartbreaking.

CyberKitten
May 25th, 2006, 05:01 AM
OMG!! I looked at that site MafiaP, I should not have - it is utterly depressing! Free cats - a Siamese that is 10 yrs old, (Gawd!), ppl looking for pets by posting their young daughter's picture - one can imagine who might show up at their home. It's all deplorable!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

lezzpezz
May 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks Stacer. I have to try to help. Here's the latest from Freecycle Admin. followed by a posting for a free dog...ANY DOG! Sheesh! And then, my response to her, which I also sent along to the Admin, to show I mean business!:thumbs up

From Admin:

ubject: What is a pet moderator? artsonline2003
Send Email
Invite to Yahoo! 360

FreecycleLondonOntario allows the gifting of pets, we believe it is
imperative that every pet has a home. Part of the freecycle mandate is
to create a gifting community.
We also want to help members find the best home possible for pets. Pet
moderators are moderators that give advice to members offering and
asking for pets, to insure that they have good homes. We are in need
of a new pet moderator, so I have posted an admin. message asking for
help yesterday.
Our members are generous with thier desire to help, and the response
was very heart warming. We have narrowed it down to three volunteers,
which we will be contacting later today.
thank you,
freecycleLondonOntario

**I have no idea if I am a candidate for this....may be too scary for them:p

Post for free pup:
-- In freecycleLondonOntario@yahoogroups.com, "If you want it, come get it :)" <skool_gurl692000@...> wrote:
>
> any puppy 6 to 8 months able to pick up in london,
>
Have you checked the local shelters? They are full of dogs looking for homes. All of these dogs are already vaccinated, spayed/neutered, have been assessed for personality and temperament, (ie: good with cats, children or best as only dog in household), all things that you would have to pay for and consider as a responsible dog owner anyway.

By adopting a dog from a rescue/foster group, you really get a pet that is suitable for your lifestyle and situation and an appropriate pet can be placed with you.

If you would like any contact info, please feel free to contact me.

lezzpezz
May 25th, 2006, 09:12 AM
As for the person posting for a free pup...I highly doubt that she will EVER be allowed to adopt from any respectable rescue/foster, as it is apparent that no money is gonna be spent on a "free" dog.....It will be an eyeopener for her to say the least if she does take my advice. :fingerscr

lezzpezz
May 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Subject: OFFER:female cat downtown drunken_cowg...
Send Email
Invite to Yahoo! 360

i have a female tabby cat that must go as my allergies can not take it
anymore....she is fixed so if interested please get back to me ASAP
as i need her gone

"i need her gone" Sad isn't it?

Where do I start?

I guess by giving her the contact info for the usual rescues/fosters.....

:(

mafiaprincess
May 25th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I know CK, it is awful. I had never heard of the site until a friend started showing me posts..
It's one of google's top hits it you type in free pet.

Ed U KayShawn
May 25th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Hey I've got great news. The Haldimand Norfolk freecycle will not accept freecycle pet ads as well. They feel it is too risky. They went so far to include list several rescue groups in Ontario on there post. They recommend you call your local shelter or local rescue!! That is sooo Swwweeeet! I hope more freecycle groups will follow.

:grouphug:

lezzpezz
May 25th, 2006, 03:04 PM
--- In freecycleLondonOntario@yahoogroups.com, "honey.manko" <honey.manko@...> wrote:
>
> Hey everyone!!! I'm looking for a husky puppy or a choc. lab puppy. I
> have a little girl who absolutely loves dogs. Anyone knows where I can
> find one please let me know!!

Sigh...I am getting sore fingers from typing replies!!:o

lezzpezz
May 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM
From Freecycle moderator:

hi,
you are actually one of 3 we have chosen,
get back to you in abit

So now I can get in there and get busy.....

Just answered the last post for the husky/lab pup.....polite but factual as usual....

And freecycle still wants me in there!:highfive:

rainbow
May 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Excellent news lezzpezz :highfive: Congratulations :highfive:

Stacer
May 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM
awesome lezzpezz, maybe you can eventually convince them to abolish the free pets. Until then, you can educate the masses:)

lezzpezz
May 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Actually as I read thru the rules, they are quite stringent toward those looking to rehome a pet. I am surprised! I can even just delete as a moderator if it looks fishy, but the preferred method is to guide politely and suggest the best ways to interview and find the right person to give your pet to. Kinda like the advice I have already doled out to a few folks.

Here's another one from a different forum that I am not sure what to say to:

Description
We are looking for medium sized puppies in the London area. Breed doesn't really matter. Will pay reasonable price.

Anyone else figure a new backyard breeder cropping up??

Any ideas how to reply and fish out what's really up with this post??:evil:

Georgiapeaches
May 29th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Actually as I read thru the rules, they are quite stringent toward those looking to rehome a pet. I am surprised! I can even just delete as a moderator if it looks fishy, but the preferred method is to guide politely and suggest the best ways to interview and find the right person to give your pet to. Kinda like the advice I have already doled out to a few folks.

Here's another one from a different forum that I am not sure what to say to:

Description
We are looking for medium sized puppies in the London area. Breed doesn't really matter. Will pay reasonable price.

Anyone else figure a new backyard breeder cropping up??

Any ideas how to reply and fish out what's really up with this post??:evil:

Have you seen the latest two "free cats" on our local Freecylce? Have you contacted them? Both are older cats...one with diabetes :(

lezzpezz
May 29th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Hi GP!

Seen them and replied to the one with diabetes. The other had been replied to by one of the other 2 new pet-specific moderators. Fron now on, pet posts do NOT get posted unless a pet mod has reviewed it and offered up lots of advice, guidelines and things to watch for when interviewing a prospective adopter!

Once you see a general ad "posted" for public viewing, that means it has been inspected by one of the many moderators. Many posts are simply deleted if they are not written to follow the specific guidelines set by Freecycle. For instance, if I submit an ad but don't word it correctly, the appropriate moderator will email back and say they are cancelling it, could it please be re-worded as per the rules. Weeds out a lot of riff-raff.

In cases of pet posts, we 3 mods are asked to be polite and offer suggestions for what to look for when rehoming their "beloved animal". We then use our discretion and can mention rescue/foster info, ask for pet's health info etc., and pretty much lay it out that using a free forum to give away one's pet has it's drawbacks and to be cautious and ask for help if needed.

I am actually pretty happy with the guidelines they have set and glad that these folks took some pretty clear and positive steps with pet postings, so I think that this may curb some of the uncaring posters and make the ones that wish to follow thru, take notice and think twice!

erykah1310
November 22nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
Im wondering why you are reviving threads from months ago, to tell us that nothing pet related is welcome, but you insist on posting a link to your site in your signature???:confused:

Have you consulted the mods here about posting the link to your site???