Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is not eating or drinking

Doodah
May 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I have a 9 year old siameese cat named doodah. last week my family took her to the vet to have most of her teeth removed because of the bad condition they were in. the vet sent her home in hopes she would eat the next day. The next day she wasnt eating or drinking and we gave her one more day but still nothing. we took her back to the vet where he force fed her through a syringe and gave her an IV of water for 2 days. when she still wasnt eating he sent her home thinking mabey she needed to be somewhere comfortable to her so she would eat. again a 2 days later she wasnt eating or drinking so we took her back and the vet gave us a syringe and some wet food...we have been giving her the right amount of food but after feeding her she throws it all up a few hours later. I have noticed a lump on her shoulder, and she seems dehydrated because her skin doesnt settle quickly when i lift it. she also seems like she is loosing weight. She gives low pitched howls for a little when i walk away from her but when im there she purrs. Along with that she wont even clean herself. My mom says doodah will get some nutrients from the food force fed to her b4 she throws up and soon her liver will get back to normal. IS SHE RIGHT? I think my cat looks worse and IS SHE GETTING ENOUGH FLUIDS BY FORCE FEEDING HER WET FOOD? also WHAT MIGHT BE THE SUDDEN BUMP ON HER SHOULDER?

Lucky Rescue
May 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM
IF your cat's teeth were in such bad shape they had to be nearly all removed, she may have some damage to her organs - kidneys, liver etc.

If she can't eat or drink, and vomits what is force fed to her, she won't last long.

I think you need to take her back to the vet and find out just what is wrong with her.

shredy
May 11th, 2006, 11:10 PM
As far as the lump on her shoulder, did the vet give her subcutaneous fluids? These are usually given in the shoulder blade area, and will be a lump until the fluids are absorbed. If they haven't done that yet, it is a good option if she is not drinking. Fluids are far more important than food and until you can figure out the underlying problem, keeping her hydrated is VERY IMPORTANT. I really feel for you, it is so hard to see them sick. I would call the vet and they can teach you how to give the fluids at home, or you can go in daily to have them done. I'm a vet tech and it really is a simple procedure (not a IV). Good luck! :fingerscr

heidi van s
May 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM
If I were you I would take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. I have been in this situation very recently it started end March and I now I am still tube feeding my sick cat! Don't wait because animals deteriorate very quickly if they cannot eat or drink.
I hope it is not too serious! See my posts on "sick socks".
best wishes
heidi