Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat won't use litter box

benandzoe
May 11th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Hello....I am new to this site & hope I am posting properly. I have a problem with 7 year old cat --he is a male & seems to have a problem using the litter box. We inherited him from my sister when he was 3-- she moved away. Everything was fine with using the litter box . She came home for a visit 7 months later for 3 weeks & then she left. Ever since then, he will urinate in the litter box but refuses to do his other business there!! He will always do it on the floor ( which happens to be cement--thank God!! ) I have tried picking it up & putting it in the litter box so he will know, sometimes I cover it with litter --sometimes not.... Have even tried spraying diluted lavender oil on the spots where he goes. Could someone please give me some advice on how to stop him from doing this?? The female who is 8 years old is a sweet little thing who knows how to use the litter box. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

ZonkaDaisy
May 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Is he nuetured? Have you tried putting the litter box where he is pooping? or maybe have two litter boxes one for each?

jessi76
May 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM
how many litter boxes do you have? The reason I ask, is it's generally best to have one box per cat. Some people even have one box per cat plus an extra. I have 2 cats, both female, and 2 boxes. Strangly enough, my girls tend to pee in one, and poop in the other.

Have you tried using a product designed for pet smells instead of the diluted lavender? Nature's Miracle is one brand name. It's an enzymatic cleaner. It neutralizes the scent - the lavender just masks it, but the cat can still smell it.

benandzoe
May 11th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Hi it's me again.....yes Ben is neutered...and yes I have 2 separate litter boxes. Have even tried different brands of litter.....some scented --some unscented....makes no difference, have tried placing the litter boxes apart from each other, tried placing them side by side, also a little further apart from each other which is how they are right now.