Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with cat in labor

Ellen Bonnos
May 11th, 2006, 10:46 AM
My cat had a breach birth this morning about two hours ago and the kitten was born dead. I don't have funds or transportation for a vet or animal hospital right now, and I need help! She had two litters before with no problems. I felt moving kittens still inside her and I want to know how long will they still be okay. She isn't meowing like she is in labor and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ellen

100%doglover
May 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
You really need to get her to a vet asap, otherwise Mom and kittens might not make it. Call around, I'm sure you can find one that can help and work out a payment plan for you.

badger
May 11th, 2006, 10:58 AM
If you absolutely can't get to a vet, the best you can do is keep her comfortable and hope for the best. Try not to be anxious around her, she will pick up on it and it won't make her task any easier. Offer her a little food and water. I have heard that there can sometimes be gaps between kittens but I'm not sure at what point it becomes a real problem.
When this is over (if she survives), PLEASE get your cat spayed. She does not need to go through another difficult birth and there are too many hungry and homeless cats out there already. I beg you.

Ford
May 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately, the only advice that will be of any help is to take your cat to a vet. This is a life-threatening situation, and the longer you wait, the worse the situation will become.

This is an emergency situation. Please do what you can to get your pet to a professional, and please let us know what happens.

Pet Emergencies (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23923)