Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We have a ton of construction going on around us, how to get dog not to bark....

happyhappy1
May 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
We have a ton of construction around us right now. 15 feet away and 25 feet away to be precise. It will be going on for months. There are so many construction people around us at all times. How do I keep the dog from barking at them? I do not want her to become people agressive, plus she is loud.

Corrie
May 11th, 2006, 11:35 AM
happyhappy1, I am going to watch this thread closely to see what advice you get...cause I am in the same boat!
Construction starts on May 23 for us for a big backyard reno and I can only imagine my little Westie is gonna be letting me know every minute that a bunch of men are in her backyard!

Dog Dancer
May 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Well we've had a house under construction next door to us for a year now (will it never end!!!) and the dogs used to bark at the people all the time. We know the owner and he knows the dogs so we've kind of encouraged the people who are there a lot to talk to them if they get barking. So meet and greet may help - if you can introduce your dog(s) to some of the workers and let them sniff around a bit (the dogs that is) it may help to releive their anxiety at all the action. It did for us. Good luck.

jessi76
May 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think it's different if the constuction is near your home vs. being IN your backyard. IF we had a construction crew in our yard, I would make a point to introduce the dog to the crew. Let the crew give the dog a treat or throw a toy. basically ensuring that the first meet & greet of the crew is a positive one, and continually letting the dog say hello. Not to disrupt their work, but a quick hello when they arrive or when they take a break would probably be helpfull.

we had the cable guy come to our house a little while ago - Tucker was allowed to greet him, and I gave the guy a treat and told him to ask for a sit before giving it. Tucker happily complied, sat when asked by the stranger, and then got the treat. While the guy was in the house installing new cable lines, Tucker layed quietly in his crate. The cable guy actually told us he wished more customers took the time to introduce their dogs to him, that it's alot easier to work without a dog barking AT you.

I use the command "ENOUGH" when Tucker barks needlessly. I allow a few "alarm" barks as I call them, just to alert me to something - but after that, it's ENOUGH. I got his attention, said ENOUGH! firmly, and rewarded quiet behavior. He eventually got it.

DRN
May 11th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I think you are going to have to use trial and error, and I also think different things work with different breeds. I have cockers so I can't help with breed specific information, but here's what (sometimes) works for me:

1. I agree you should take your dog out on a leash and go as near as you can to the construction workers. If you are lucky, they might even ask to pet your dog. If the dog is near the workers, hears the noises, and has you with him - there's a chance he won't continue to see it as a threat/surpise and he won't bark.

2. One of my dogs only barks when I'm with him, probably because he wants to protect me. Other dogs are more territorial and they bark because they are protecting your home. Try to figure out which category your dog falls into. If he's protecting you, the chances are he is only barking when you are there and you can tell him to be quiet, distract him, etc. If he's protecting your home, you might consider giving him something to relax him for the first couple of days (like pet formulations for fear of thunder). Always ask your vet first.

3. You can try bribery. It's one of my favorite techniques. During the first few days of construction, whenever your dog barks tell him to be quiet and reward him with lavish praise and a treat when he stops barking. Do this repeatedly for a couple of days - you might want to gradually decrease the size of the treat but always continue to praise when he stops barking. I've had dogs respond as quickly as 2 days, including my neighbor's dog that barked and barked. (Of course, I first asked their permission to give their dog treats.)

4. If nothing seems to work, take comfort in the fact that the construction work will probably be so loud that no one will hear your dog.

Best wishes and good luck.

happyhappy1
May 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks I will give it a try, construction will be ongoing till January!

SnowDancer
May 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Was a nightmare for me for over a year - and hasn't gotten much better. Workers were extremely rude and broke many laws - I actually had to go to police and was afraid for my dog. One thing though - since he was used to hammering and the sounds of buzz saws going 24/7 - clicker training did not work for him - just another construction sound.