Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Picked up my lab - quick question

happyhappy1
May 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Picked up my lab, thanks for all the advice by the way. Very nice dog. Adjustment going very well, no real problems. She is learning to be gentle (non jumpy, licky with the kids). But, one thing that puzzles me, she is a very serious calm dog. Good for kids I know, easy to train too. But, she does not play. What she does do is follow us around kids, husband and I ect in a perfect heel position all day, we sit she sits. Not even interested in eating very much unless I put her in a room and shut the door, then she eats. Is it abnormal to have a lab who for lack of a better word does not frolic? We got her from a breeder, she is a ten month old English Lab.

phoenix
May 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM
she probably needs some more time... her following you around makes me think she is scared she'll be left and she is trying to keep her eye on you.

isabelleo
May 11th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I brought home my lab mix pup at the end of April, and for the first few days I was convinced I had the most laid-back, sleepiest dog in the world. He was the devil in disguise. After he felt at home he started acting out more and more, wanting to play and jump up on people, and destroy objects left around.

Not to say you won't love your puppy even when she's destroying your things, pooping on your floor, and running around like she just woke up from a long nap (I know I still love Casper). Maybe she won't have as abrupt a change as mine, but she's probably just settling in right now.

LibbyP
May 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Not to worry happyhappy1, right now you and she are in the honeymoon state, once she feels more comfortable with all of you and her surroundings she will blossom and her true personality will arise(:angel: /:evil: ) just give it some time - relax and enjoy your new girl:pawprint: