Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Green Discharge from males penis

Twinklebean
May 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Hi I have a 8 year old male Rotty and he has this constant green discharge dripping from his penis. I do not notice a smell but this is constantly happening even to the point that I have to mop the floor every day due to the dripping he leaves.
Can you tell me what this is caused from and how to make it stop?
Thanks Twink

jesse's mommy
May 10th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. Have you been to a vet yet?

Twinklebean
May 10th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Not yet as I just moved to this area and havent been able to find one that seems to take care of animals the way my old country vet did. I took him in a year ago for a worming and it ended up costing me 200 dollars so Im checking out prices but found this site and thought I would aty least ask if there was anyone that could help

technodoll
May 10th, 2006, 08:56 PM
It's called smegma and totally normal :) Here's some info, see the last part for info on that fluid

What Are the General Functions of the Canine Male Reproductive Tract?

The scrotum, because of its thin, hairless skin, its lack of fat, and its ability to contract toward the body, functions as a temperature regulator for the testicle and epididymis. The temperature within the scrotum is generally several degrees lower than the abdomen, which is essential for the normal manufacturing and maintenance of sperm.

The testicles perform two major functions that are largely complementary. They produce sperm and testosterone, a male hormone.

The epididymides are the organs where sperm are stored before ejaculation. In addition, they slowly transport sperm to the ductus deferens. The length of the epididymis and the slow transport of sperm are important in allowing the sperm time to become mature.

The ductus deferens transports sperm from the epididymis to the urethra by using strong contractions of the muscle wall.

The function of the prostate is not entirely understood. It is believed to be essential in providing an optimum environment for sperm survival and motility. It may secrete substances that activate the sperm and make them motile. It may also secrete substances that protect sperm from the acidity in the urethra that comes from the passage of urine through the urethra.

The penis is the male copulatory organ. It contains vessels and connective tissue specialized to produce an erection, which facilitates penetration of the penis into the vagina of the female.

The prepuce acts as a moist protective covering for the non-erect penis, and is capable of secreting smegma, a thick, lubricating liquid.

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Any green discharge from anywhere that is so profuse it's dripping on the floor must be checked out by a vet.

There could be infection that needs medication.

Prin
May 10th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Some whitish fluid is normal, but not dripping green fluid. He definitely needs a vet visit because the infection spreads.

the gang
May 10th, 2006, 09:53 PM
asap to the vet please, like a child green is normanly means infection, good luck, please let us know.:fingerscr

lpn169
May 11th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Green is a sign of infection.....go to the vet.