Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bones and dogs

Spoiled
December 30th, 2003, 11:59 AM
I'm having a problem knowing what bones to give my dog. Does anyone know if cornstarch bones are good for dogs? I've heard of rawhide bones being bad for dogs, and sticking to the inside of their stomachs and making them sick, but are they really that bad?
Also, my puppy doesn't like to give up his bones. Its a very bad habit, because he growls or bites at anyone who comes near him when he's eating. How can I teach him to not be aggressive with his bones?

Carina
December 30th, 2003, 12:15 PM
I don't know about the cornstarch ones....the pressed rawhides seem OK though, they don't really get digested but at least they'll pass through in little bits. Have you tried nylabones, or cow hooves?
I also give my dogs large raw bones to chew on (never ever feed cooked ones.) Like soup bones. They LOVE them.

Resource guarding...quite common. Here's an article that explains it better than I can:
http://k9deb.com/foodguar.htm

Simple thing to do: Get some really yummy treats, like hot dogs or whatever your dog gets real crazy about. Offer him the treat while he's got his bone. When he goes for the treat, calmly take his bone away. Make him sit (or do SOMETHING) and calmly give him back the bone. You don't want him to think you are going to randomly steal his stuff, but that he gets something even better if he gives it up.

You can also work on a "drop" or "leave it" command using non food items. Once he gets good at it, escalate to teaching him drop with chewie bones.

Catt31
December 30th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Wasn't someone mentioning on here about Bullies (aka Bull penises) for dogs to nibble on?? LOL Sounds appetizing, but hey, dogs like Cow tongue and pigs ears, so why not penis?!?!?

daisy18216
December 30th, 2003, 01:08 PM
I never heard of that before Catt31.

Cow's tongue sounds gross.

Pigs ears my dog's have every now and then.

Luba
December 30th, 2003, 04:00 PM
DON'T get pigs hoofs

They smell like S**T to be blunt and they are awful nasty things!!

The ears I've given ya.

I just replied to someone regarding their great dane chewing.

Rawhide is very bad for dogs digestion. Quite often they chew or rip off hunks of rawhide and just swallow it. It does not digest with stomach acids and ends up lodged in the intestine quite often causing blockages and hence surgery. NO RAWHIDE!!

Spoiled
December 30th, 2003, 04:14 PM
I have heard before about rawhide being bad, but I wasn't sure, because the lady who we bought my puppy from said that human toothpaste can be used for dogs, that we should give my puppy cow's milk, and other TOTALY untrue things. I didn't know if I should believe her.

So pig's ears aren't rawhide? Great. I'll try to buy some as soon as possible. Does anyone know where to get "bullies"? They might be good to. I've got a nylabone, and he seems to be using it OK. We've gotten one uncooked bone for him to, but he chewed the meat off it too fast! They are kind of expensive.

Would cornstarch do the same thing as rawhide? I just want something good for my puppy to clean the tartar off his teeth. He is a small dog, so he tends to get more tartar.

Carina
December 30th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Hehe, I posted about giving my dogs bull penises for Christmas! But they were quite expensive, and the Rotties ate them in ten minutes. Oh well.

It's funny, I feed raw (whole bones & all) for years and the only time I've ever had a dog choke on anything was Cooper choking on the knot of a rawhide he'd chewed off. Scared the beejeezus outta me! I know rawhides can be a problem, I have to say I've given them to dogs for years without incident, though I don't any more. Plus most rawhides, pig ears, etc are often cured with various horrid things, especially if they're from Asian countries. I don't recall details though.

Daisy, if you think pig tongue is gross, well I've gotten entire cow heads fur & all from a local processor for my dogs. These things must weigh 70lbs easy and it's really quite a sight. :eek: I've only done it in the dead of winter when it's real cold.

My dogs get mostly raw bones for chewing, like beef ribs, shanks, soup & marrow bones. I take them away after a few days when they start getting dried out.

mona_b
December 30th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Knuckle bones are great.The smoked ones and the smoked ham bones are even better.My guys love them.And they smell so good.LOL....I am a little iffy on the pigs ears.My dad had cut out an article in the paper a while back about them.Darn if I can remember what it said.But I think it had to do with Samonnela.I will have to look for it.I was giving my dogs the pigs ears.But after reading the article,I stopped.I didn't want to chance it.I get the smoked knuckle bone and ham bones at our pet store.

Spoiled
December 31st, 2003, 10:31 AM
Are knuckle and ham bones expensive? Also, I'm not sure if our petstore sells them.:(

Lucky Rescue
December 31st, 2003, 11:32 AM
I never buy the smoked bones at the pet store. They are very expensive and loaded with nitrates and other things that are not good for dogs.

Go to your butcher or the meat counter of your grocery store and ask the butcher for beef ribs (I get a slab of about 6 or 7 ribs for 5$ and cut them up) marrow bones, or knuckle bones. They are very inexpensive and good for dogs.

The marrow bones should be no longer than 4 - 6 inches so the dog can get the marrow out. These may give a dog soft stools at first, but it's no big deal.

Catt31
December 31st, 2003, 12:13 PM
Oh my God Carina, a cow's HEAD??? EWWWWWWW!!!! Your yard must be hilarious on shopping day!! Penises, heads, bones, etc....does it look like a boneyard?? Hehehehhehe!! Too funny...but I bet your dogs LOVE it!!!

What about Dentabones? They seem to be popular, and I know my sisters give them to their dogs! They also buy from the butcher.....he saves them the scrap bones and such and they get them for cheap cheap!!!

We don't have a dog yet, as we live in an Apt. but SOONNNNNN we will rescue one! Although I'm afraid once I walk in there my heart will break and we will end up taking 10 home!! Better look for a house with a BIG yard!! hehehee What are the odds of rescuing a dachshund?? Slim to none??

Lucky Rescue
December 31st, 2003, 12:49 PM
Catt, the odds of adoption a dachshund are very good. There are over 900 on Petfinder alone. People often dump them when they get them without doing any research and come to realize these are not docile little cartoon characters.

If you really want one, you can get lots of info Here (http://www.drna.org/)

Catt31
December 31st, 2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks Lucky!! I've checked out Petfinder today too!!! I'm sooo happy!!! It wasn't loading the profiles of the dogs, but I will keep looking!! We have some time until we move into our house, so that we can find the perfect rescue dog!!

Spoiled
December 31st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Well, I'll go and find some beef bones then.:p How on earth would you cut them though?:confused:

Lucky Rescue
December 31st, 2003, 01:33 PM
The beef ribs come in a slab, just like pork spare ribs (only much cheaper!) You can separate them the same way you do the pork ribs.

Beef ribs must be plentiful in Alberta!:D

mona_b
December 31st, 2003, 02:48 PM
Also,when you go to your supermarket,check the meat isle.They also will sell knuckle bones.You can get 2 in a pack for about $2.00...I boil them and give them to my guys.They love it.The Dentabones are also very good.I get the large ones.

Spoiled
January 1st, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys:) . I'll go to the store and get some as soon as I can. I guess he'll have lots to chew on after this:p !

melanie
January 5th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Hey Spoiled,
if you want to clean your dogs teeth there is a wide range of dog tooth paste and tooth brushes available. just ask your vet, the tooth brushes are good, they are a rubber tube thing that slips on the finger and it has brushes on the end, they are also relativly cheap. my dog cant have hard stuff (stick accident with her tongue) so i have to clean her teeth i do it arund twice a year or when needed. hope it helps:D

Luba
January 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM
btw

U CAN use human toothpaste on dogs as long as it's fluoride free
(which i use anyway)

Health food shops folks!

melanie
January 5th, 2004, 08:26 PM
oh i forgot to mention, dog tooth paste is flavoured, we alternate between chichen and beef flavour, but there are many more (my girl would just love a cow poo flavour, that is her favourite flavour), with charlie, the taste it makes the job alot easier:p

Spoiled
January 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Dog toothpast! I'll have to get some!