Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teeth Scaling...?? What?

Twix04
May 10th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Can someone please explain to me what teeth scaling is? I've now read it in two different books about health care/grooming yet neither of them bothers to explain what the term actually is.

Sorry if it's a stupid question!!

If it's a procedure done by a vet, how much does it cost?

Beaglemom
May 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Teeth scaling in dogs and cats is like having our teeth cleaned by a hygienist. It is the removal of tarter at and under the gumline using a special tool, the scaler. It is normally done at the vet's office under anaesthetic as most animals hate to have it done and will fuss a lot, especially when trying to get under the gumline.

By the way, no question is a stupid question. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification, we are all more than happy to help.

shredy
May 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
As far as cost, there will be a base charge for a dental cleaning, and it can go up from there if they need to do extractions. They never know until they start the procedure exactly what will need to be done. My vet charges about 200-300 if there are no complications. You should be "brushing" your dogs teeth regularly in between yearly dental cleanings. How old is your dog?

Beaglemom
May 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I just wanted to post a link to a website that shows pictures of dental cleaning being done at a clinic.
http://www.darkstarfamily.com/dental-health.htm

Shredy is right about the brushing. By brushing your dogs teeth regularly and feeding a good quality food, you can keep the professional dental cleaning to a minimum and possibly never need to have it done.

chico2
May 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
We descale one cat a year if he needs it,it's too expensive to do them all every year at $300+,gingivitis can lead to all kinds of problem in a cat/dog.
We tried brushing our cats teeth and that is not going to happen again:D

Twix04
May 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Both my dogs have just turned a year and we do brush their teeth. Troi is super good about it but Jaidyn is fussy. So it's basically like when we go to the dentist and he uses those sharp metal tools to scrape the plaque off our our teeth?

Saying that just reminds me that it's been awhile since I've been to the dentist. Yikes. I hate the dentist....

technodoll
May 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM
not to beat that old drum again but... raw-fed cats n'dogs NEVER need dental cleanings... their teeth stay bright white, gums tight and pink, throughout their entire lives. the big meaty bones that are part of the diet act as nature's toothbrush. plaque and tartar and dental rotting are a by-product of feeding commercial food (dry & canned) to our pets :yuck:

OntarioGreys
May 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I have one dog that needs dentals done every 9 months to a year most with extractions , because his teeth are extremely porous tartar builds up extremely quickly even with brushing, but it is necessary otherwise the bacterial infection that form can damage his heart and other organs, we have tried sealants , gels,liquids that are added to water to help prevent formation, chews, dental foods, raw bones etc but none have helped to extend time frame between dentals, Nikki has only had one dental in 8 1/2 years and Callie who passed away at 9 1/2 only had one as well at 3 and her teeth were tartar free when she passed away, so each dog will be different in their dental needs regardless of food or brushing