Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog, with little kids

lilith_rizel
May 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Ok, hubby's grandfather's dog will be coming to live with us in a week or two. From what I have seen of her, she doesn't take to strangers really well, and rather "yappy" when they are around. I was wondering what the best way to get her used to the kids being around, and how long I should keep the kids away from Princess. I am thinking about keeping both kiddos off the floor as much as possible, for a week or so, so Princess can get used to seeing them around. Also, any suggestions on making this transition as smooth as possible. Princess has only had hubby's grandfather as an owner, no one else, and she is a pretty old little gal at that... so I'd imagine this is going to be really hard for her...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
What about sending something to your grand parents with the kids scent on it so the dog would at least get used to their smell before she came to live with you.

Also from what I recall your kids are quite young still- and the older one is starting to be mobile now - could you instead seperate them with a baby gate at first until they get used to each other more. I think that would be easier than keeping them off of the floor.

Good luck :D

LibbyP
May 10th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Hi lilith_rizel, Okay I have some questions, how old are your children? Have they ever meet grandpa's dog before? What was the reaction on both sides?If you answer these for me I might be able to offer alittle more help, we brought a 3 yr old 130lbs rescue into our home that was very afraid of our children(15mos & 3yrs) at first now they are the best of friends and she(Libby) follows my daughter everywhere if she can, talk to you soon:)

lilith_rizel
May 10th, 2006, 04:25 PM
The reason why Princess is going to live with us is that hubby grandfather passed away yesterday. However, hubby will be driving back home to pick her up, so maybe I will just put one of their blankies in the carrier for her to lay on, on the trip back home.

As far as the kids go, one it 18 months, the other is 5 months. Neither have met the dog yet. But both have been around dogs before. The oldest is pretty good at not pulling on ears, tail, and fur... She knows it isn't allowed with our cats, and has gotten pretty good with just petting them nicely, or not pet them at all...

Joey E.- I have a fairly large play pen that I could put up for the girls to be in. It has mesh sides, so they will be able to see each other. The gates won't really work in out house. We have so many island type walls, and the doorways are pretty big too... one measuring 8 feet!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 10th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Lilith orginally posted = The reason why Princess is going to live with us is that hubby grandfather passed away yesterday. However, hubby will be driving back home to pick her up, so maybe I will just put one of their blankies in the carrier for her to lay on, on the trip back home.

Sorry to hear about your hubbys grand fathers passing. :sad:

The reason why I mentioned the blanket/scent thing is that I remember reading when a new baby is coming home from the hospital to give the dog the babies blanket or piece of clothing to get used to their scent - I thought it could apply to your situation as well. :D

I think the play pen sounds like a great idea - it sounds like too the your oldest does have a good respect for animals already so your off to a good start IMO. I know the younger ones like to grab onto things such has ears, tails etc.(Babies and their death grips :D ) But it sounds like Princess wouldnt voluntarily approach your youngest daughter anyways.

Good luck and its good to see you back too. :D

chico2
May 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Lilith,be prepared for a very sad dog.
My son took in a 13yr old Sheltie,who's owner had passed,the poor dog spent the first few weeks at the front-door waiting for the owner to come for her.
Now,almost 1yr later,she's fine gets along great with my sons JRT,even put some weight on.
She will definetly mourn her owner,so be patient with her,she'll come around with lots of love and care.

LibbyP
May 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I have to agree with Chico2, don't be surprised if she goes off her food for awhile, keep offering add smelly good stuff if needed. Sorry for your loss, it's very kind of you and your family for taking this dog into your home. The playpen idea is great, is she crate trained? when babies are out and about , might help to put her someplace safe where she can still see them but cannot get hurt,my children too are very respectful of animals and their space, very important to teach at an early age. Okay like I said before our big dog was very afraid of the kids so they would give her treats that she would only get from them (very smelly and oh so yummy), we don't approach the dog with the youngest in our arms, my sister-in-law would put peanut butter and cheez whiz on their toes - just so she would think that the kids were the best thing ever, be patient things won't happen overnight, she's going to be confused for awhile, best of luck hope this helps alittle:fingerscr

lilith_rizel
May 10th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I understand that Princess will be very sad for a while. It's to be expected. No different than a human's grieving... I also packed a VERY used blanket of the girls'. One I plan on just letting Princess keep.

From what hubby said, Princess isn't even house broken, and just goes on newspaper... so we are going to do our best to get her going outside, or atleast use puppy pads, or a little box.

I just hope things don't get too stressful on her. But you can bet she'll get lots of love from us here. I guess hubby has been thinking about getting a small dog, being that we have been taking care of our friends' dogs on and off for a while now, and will have them back for two straight months this summer, possibly.

Anyways, I have to finish getting things ready for hubby and his trip. He's planning on leaving tomorrow around 9, after traffic has died down some. I tell ya, living by Washington DC sucks for traffic! LOL... can't wait to get moved somewhere else.... Oh, did I tell ya all that hubby re-enlisted, and is going to go career in the Army!!! YAY, I finally get to travel places!!!

badger
May 11th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Lilith, is there any possibility he'll be sent to Iraq? I hear they are scraping the ground for new recruits. And when you get sent abroad, is there any provision for pets?

Good luck with the doggie. I think it is very sweet of you to take her in. I was just thinking the other day what would happen to my cats if I keeled over. Gotta make a plan. Anyway, once she has adjusted, I'll bet she gets a new lease on life being with such a young family!

chico2
May 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Badger,sorry for highjacking,but that's what happened with Trixie..her former elderly owner did not take her out much.
Now it's a joy seeing her enjoying the grass and the out-doors,she certainly has a new lease on life at 13yrs old.

Lise
May 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Baby gates are great.I think the most important thing is lots of love,make her feel secure again and make sure she has a place that is her safe zone that the kids understand is her place to be left alone(once they are a little older)sounds like you already know what you're doing though good luck.She's very lucky to have you.

lilith_rizel
May 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM
hubby has a 1 year stabalization, before he can be deployed. And if he would get deployed into a battle zone, the family wouldn't be able to move there, so Princess would stay back with us. However, other places may have you get the pet a bunch of shots, and tests done... I'm not sure though...

And I will try to post pictures as soon as possible after we get her. We don't have a digicam anymore.... so it may be a little while...

Lise
May 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM
My sisters boyfriend is stationed in Iraq.He was just back here in Feb on leave.Hope everything works out okay for you and your family