Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I keep my new boston-URGENT-

wardo
May 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I have a boston terrier called Rambo, he is My best friend and has been the best dog anyone could ever ask for. I leave him at my house for 8 hours a day by himself, I felt like buying him another boston would be good company for him. Me and my wife also love watching him play with other dogs as it makes us feel very good when we see him happy.But now that I have bought this new boston, he is not even playing with the new boston and is stealing every little toy I give the new boston. They sit on opposite ends of the room and Ram seems very down. It is really disapointing because I bought this dog to keep him Ram company and be his best friend. It has ONLY been 5days but it kills me to see my Ram like this- I truly mean it kills me!The new boston is called Rocky and he is very good dog, just loves my wife-follows her everywhere she goes and has only had 1 accident in 5days.I also have a 1 year old babyboy,which I feel maybe this is too much to handle for me and my wife. We have been contimplating returning the dog everyday because of these feelings of it being too much and how my dog is reacting to this, maybe we should take him back?Both our parents have said they wont take 2 dogs when you go away on vacations and they both think we are CRAZY to have 2 dogs. I am almost feeling like maybe this isnt normal to have 2 dogs and a baby. Please any comments on what we should do here and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jayson

Luvmypit
May 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Whats normal really? Lots of people have two dogs. More often then not and most got another to entertain the other. My parents had two dogs and 4 kids at one point. We all handled it fine.
Unfortunantly you got a second dog for all the wrong reasons. So you set this whole deal up to fail.

You expected way too much from this dog and when he obviously didn't rise up now you want to return him? I wonder what methods you used to intorduce two dogs and especially one dog to anothers already claimed territory? That could be a good reason why they are not bothering with eachother now. I don't know how you introduced them so I can't comment further on the dogs behaviour.

I am not really sure where your parents get this information from but having two dogs is completely "normal".

I personally feel bad for the boston who got thrown into a situation and now he may have to suffer at a shelter b/c humans didn't do any proper research before aquiring a new dog. did you get your dog from a reputable breeder that will take your boston back?

Part of me says you should live with the choices you made but the other part says give the dog up so he/she can have a chance at a family that gets him to love him for him and not what he can or cannot do for you.
I may sound harsh but its clearly a human error and who will suffer? The dog.

wardo
May 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Thank you for your feedback, it is not being harsh but honest.
I introduced them by opening the door and letting the dog in the house, didnt really think about it at the time. What do you think now that you have this info?
You are right about alot of points but I cant change how I feel, I wish I was 100% about this so I wouldnt be racking my brain with this. Do you think the dogs will become friends? I bought the dog from a pet store who made me sign a contract saying they will give back 85% percent only when they sell the dog again, I am not sure if they can hold me to this. But I called the pet store and told him how they dont get along and how I may want to return, he said to give it time and they will come around.I would appreciate hearing some more feedback to this.

LibbyP
May 10th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hi wardo, I think Rambo is in a adjustment period;) , 5 days is not long enough(in my opinion) to know either way, and as far as having to dogs - also small dogs might I add, your parents need to give you a break, I could (maybe) see her point if you had two lrg/xtlrg ones romping around a toddler,(but even then I think its fine as long as everyone is careful). There are alot of benefits having two dogs, they keep eachother company, play time is double the fun and alot of kennels(if you need to board) because parents won't watch them, second dog is at a discount, ask the neighbor, take them with you.... but it would be better to decide before long as vet bills double, food etc... plus emotion attachment:sad: - good luck:fingerscr

wardo
May 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Libby I know I need to decide, I almost dont want to make the descion myself. I have to tell you I fliped a coin 6 times in a row, and each time I said if it comes out heads we keep the dog and each time it came out heads 6 times in a row. Dont know if this means anything, let me know what you think..
Rambo is everything to me and it is likeing sticking a dagger in my chest when he is sad. ANy comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jayson

jawert1
May 10th, 2006, 02:25 PM
If I had given my 2 dogs only 5 days to adjust to each other and being in a new home together, I would have certainly returned the both of them to the shelter. Both have VASTLY different personalities, much like humans do and over time, I've not only gotten to know them both, but they both settled in just fine. You can't change how you introduced the 2, but you CAN give them time to settle in. Your older boston is also going through major changes - new baby, now a new dog. I'm not surprised he doesn't want to be social, I don't either in the face of upheaval like that. IF you choose to give them time to adapt, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how everything will gel. Best wishes and please keep us posted, there are plenty of folks here that are more than happy to offer helpful tips on how to make this new arrival transition easier :)

Luvmypit
May 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Wardo,

What you should have done is allowed them to meet on neutral territory for example a park.

I think they just need time togther. Has anyone snapped at the other? Any growling or agreesion issues so far? If not that is always a positive sign. They could just be wary of eachother. I may also suggest that you show your original dog that he/she is still the alpha by feeding the 1st dog first, petting the 1st dog first ect....This will curb any need to defend territory or alpha status in the home. Don't let the other dog think the new dog is taking over. Both should clear on their rolls in the house.
Im not sure what to do with the toys other then buy more for both dogs, I am sure someone soon will be by with some more help on that.
I respect your honesty for sure. I don't think you are an aweful person I just think it was an impulse buy which any live thing shouldn't be.

But your on the right track seeking advise. I hope what I said helps. I am sure others on this board have more to offer.

Hope it all works out. Just give it time and be patient. Also dogs sense tension and probably can sense your uneasiness between the two of them. That certainly won't help. Also take them for walks together and that should help form a bond.

Luvmypit
May 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Your older boston is also going through major changes - new baby, now a new dog. I'm not surprised he doesn't want to be social, I don't either in the face of upheaval like that. IF you choose to give them time to adapt, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how everything will gel. Best wishes and please keep us posted, there are plenty of folks here that are more than happy to offer helpful tips on how to make this new arrival transition easier :)

Great point! Makes a lot of sense!!!:thumbs up

wardo
May 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Thank you Jawful, I appreciate the feedback.
I have never felt soo uncertain about something as I do with this, I feel as though Rambo gives me everything I need to be happy so I dont know if this dog was a for the worng reason. I want Rambo to have a best friend as I do with him and thats why we bought Rocky. I also love seeing him play as I mentioned. But this descion is still not 100% either way, please more feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jayson

rainbow
May 10th, 2006, 02:39 PM
You don't decide whether or not to keep a dog by "flipping a coin":eek:

How old is Rambo and how long have you had him? He is used to being the only one and five days is not long enough to expect your dogs to be buddies. You can't just put them together and expect them to get along right away. You need to spend time with them together playing with them.

BOTH your parents AND your wife's parents think you're crazy to have two dogs. For what reasons? Lots of people have more than one dog and cats and babies and everything works out just fine.

Writing4Fun
May 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Rainbow, I think the 'coin flipping' thing was an act of desperation. I sincerely doubt Wardo would actually let a coin toss make this decision for him. ;)

I don't have anything to add about introducing them. I agree that more time is needed. During that time, every effort must be made to ensure Ram gets all the attention he's used to and then some.

One last thing, if you do decide to give Rocky up, please don't return him to the pet store! Please find a Boston rescue near you who can take him, place him in a foster home and find the absolute perfect new family for him. A pet store will put him back in a cage until he is purchased again, or, if he gets too old to be marketable or if he gets ill, they'll just kill him to cut their losses. You should know that pet stores are among the worst places on the planet to get puppies.

I also agree that there is nothing 'abnormal' about having two dogs and a young family. My brother has two rather large dogs (who are older and have been in the house for some time) and a small daughter, and everyone is getting along just fine. ;)

Best of luck!

Daisy_Mae
May 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
I think you are brave Wardo for coming on here and admitting you might have made a mistake.

This is what I think, you sound like an animal lover and your wife too so I think if you kept the dog you would take care of him. As for the issues with them not getting along, its too early to tell. I have a very dominant female who I knew in the back of my head that she was quite happy being the only dog. I brought home several foster dogs and never felt a need to keep them until I brought home our beagle Charlie. Its has been 3 months and what started off as growling, barking and getting generally upset with Charlie has turned into 2 dogs that happily co-exist together and will chase each other around outside and play. It's not an ideal relationship, they aren't best friends but they like each other now and that says a lot for my 2 misfits. My dogs are both adult rescue dogs.

That being said, with all the issues with my 2 dogs and them not getting along, I am sure you are in a much better position having a well balanced adult dog and a new puppy.

I am quite sure they will get along with time so what you need to really focus on now is if you can financially care for 2 dogs and have enough time for them with a baby too. If you can honestly say you can care for both until their last day on this earth then you certainly should keep the dog and have some patience waiting for the 2 dogs to get along. If you can't, it's best to give that dog up so its stands a better chance at a good life.

I would also suggest you not worry about the refund and take the puppy to a reputable rescue or humane society where they will screen for a GOOD home not just any home that has money to buy a dog from a pet store.

Sam

wardo
May 10th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I called the pet store they said they would take him back, then I called my wife to tell her she said make sure you say bye to him. My heart stopped!
I dont think I can do this!!!
I dont know what to do here...

SnowDancer
May 10th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Please look for a Boston rescue. I hate to say it, but as much as your wife loves your new pup, I think she is relieved at your decision and is hopeful that by the time she gets home, the puppy will be gone. I would not return the pup to the pet store - the chances of him being purchased are not great and remember, you will only receive 85% refund on resale of pup - and try proving that it was your pup that was re-sold. I think your pup would have a much greater chance with a reputable rescue. I also think that at this point in your lives you do not need 2 dogs - you just aren't ready for it - love is not enough. As for your parents refusing to babysit 2 dogs, well you can't blame them for that - it is always best to allow for the fact that your dogs might have to be boarded, travel with you or you will stay home. Actually same goes for grandchildren. We stayed home for many years until we found a great boarder for our dog whose health permits him to be boarded - and we now have only the one dog. Best of luck to you.

jjgeonerd
May 10th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Is this real? :rolleyes:

Just give them time. 5 days is nothing. I'd give it at least a month...try to play with both of them together...get them interacting. They just met...why would they be best friends already?

If you decide to not keep it, I second the option of giving it to a rescue. Pet stores that sell puppies suck. Think of the puppy, not your wallet.

the gang
May 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I SAY [KEEP THE DOG] what made you get the pup at a pet store??? there are so many rescues needing homes, i hve 4 min pins its time that the dogs need, when i was younger i had 2 kids 3 dogs and 1 cat and hubby was a truck drivenr long distance plus i babysat 2 kids if i can do this so can you sometimes it takes a couple of months, try your hardest, i would hate to see the little one going back to the pet store good luck to you keep us posted:grouphug:

rainbow
May 10th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Is this real?

Hmmmm....I was beginning to think the same thing.;)

Frenchy
May 10th, 2006, 06:50 PM
:troll: ???

jawert1
May 10th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'm beginning to think not, sad when ppl treat pets like they should be iPods - work properly right out of the box with no work involved

Milo_we _miss_U
May 10th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'm beginning to think not, sad when ppl treat pets like they should be iPods - work properly right out of the box with no work involved
I have to agree.

Coopersmum
May 11th, 2006, 11:15 AM
If it IS a real posting, I find it odd that after all this incredible helpful information on keeping this poor dog, AS WELL AS info about NOT to return to the pet store, that that last post would come accross the way it did.

I knocks my faith in the decency of people that after all that, (and only FIVE DAYS of a chance for the little guy) that he would be returned to a pet store rather than a rescue for no other reason than MONEY!
I am happy I don't have to live with that dog's mental health and chance at life in exchange for money on my chest...

Once again though, what comes around goes around....

jessi76
May 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I knocks my faith in the decency of people that after all that, (and only FIVE DAYS of a chance for the little guy) that he would be returned to a pet store rather than a rescue for no other reason than MONEY!
I am happy I don't have to live with that dog's mental health and chance at life in exchange for money on my chest...

did I miss something? Which btw, is entirely possible... but, I didn't get from wardo's posts that he wanted to return the dog BECAUSE of money, he only stated what the contract was that he agreed to. From what I read, he's thinking of returning the dog because his other dog has not yet accepted the newcomer as his best friend, and he's worried they may never be friends.

Wardo, Rambo HAS a best friend already... YOU. That said, you took a new life into your home, and I think you should honor that commitment. Even if Rambo & Rocky are not the best of friends right now, giving Rocky a much needed loving home with Boston experience is the RIGHT choice. It's not the easy choice, but as in life, the right paths are often the most difficult, yet also the most rewarding.

please, give it time.

Coopersmum
May 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
did I miss something? Which btw, is entirely possible... but, I didn't get from wardo's posts that he wanted to return the dog BECAUSE of money, he only stated what the contract was that he agreed to. From what I read, he's thinking of returning the dog because his other dog has not yet accepted the newcomer as his best friend, and he's worried they may never be friends.

Money that he'd get back returning pooch to the pet store from which he came, rather than to a rescue where he'd have a better future, but not produce the 85% refund.... If this little guy HAS to be returned, which i think most of us hope is not the case, it would be far better for the dog to go to the rescue.

mummummum
May 13th, 2006, 01:03 AM
I called the pet store they said they would take him back, then I called my wife to tell her she said make sure you say bye to him. My heart stopped!
I dont think I can do this!!!
I dont know what to do here...

:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:
Hmmmm....just a little too much like an episode of "As the Stomach Turns".

OntarioGreys
May 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
It seems that Wardo came here looking for approval from other pet owners for returning the pup to smooth over his own conscience and ego as the decision was already made prior to posting to do so, I have seen the same thing happen on other forums, despite others giving advice, as you have noticed not once did Wardo comment on any of the advice, within 2 hours of asking for feedback adn claiming to be so heartbrokenig and racking his brains a phone to return the dog was made, anybody that truly wanted have things work out, would have further discussed the advice given, which showed he had no intent on keeping the pup. On that day when I read his 3:22 post I knew this was already the case had wrote a reply but deleted as I knew my anger would not have change the circumstances and likely would have only got me in trouble instead :o

rainbow
May 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM
:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:
Hmmmm....just a little too much like an episode of "As the Stomach Turns".

I totally agree !!!! His last words were "I don't think I can do this!!! I don't know what to do here...." That was three days ago and up until that point he was answering just about every post.

heeler's rock!
May 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Wardo, if you're still reading what's posted here, let me share my story....

My oldest dog, Red (red heeler), was my only dog for years. When she was 7 (she's now 10), I got a border collie pup from a breeder and named her Kia. I introduced Kia and Red the same way you introduced your puppy, and I found nothing wrong with that. Red hated Kia, and wouldn't let her within 10 feet of her! Kia, being resiliant as most puppies are, didn't care too much and kept trying. It took a while, but now Red LOVES Kia! We've added another dog into the mix named Helix (blue heeler cross) and they all get along wonderfully.

We also had a baby in October, so I don't think there's anything crazy about 2 little boston terriers and a baby.

You need to give the dogs time to adjust to one another or you will constantly live with the question, "what if?".....