Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten - Female or Male?

alenka_ru_ca
May 10th, 2006, 12:39 PM
:pawprint: Hello everyone! :pawprint:

I am planning to take a kitten from my parents' pair. The mom is a pure Siamese, and the dad is a mix-Siamese (looks identical to a Havana Brown). I can't really decide whether to take the femal or the male. The female is a little more aloof and kind of "has-her-own-business" kitty. She is still affectionate and playful. She's very alert and reacts to everything very quickly - she reacts (doesn't really get scared, but looks around to see what's going on) to noises of any sort right away (while the other two kittens remain calm). She's much easier to get meowing (e.g. if you hold her in your lap and she's got her own business to take care of, things to explore). Her temperament seems to be very-very similar to her mother's. She's also larger than the other two - I guess, she was conceived first. She's absolutely stunning! :queen:

The male kitten is smaller (I guess, he's a later baby). He's not as alert as the girl - very calm. He's playful, but not as readily as the girl. He's much more affectionate though - likes to sit in your lap and be petted. However, even though he's fascinated with your hands, he doesn't seem to realize that they are of a live being! He's very scratchy, and would climb your leg disregarding you screaming :(. When we needed to wash his paw (he stepped in his own poo :o), he was absolutely terrified of water (he did all he could to get away and sreamed bloody murder!). Even though feelings towards water are not as important, I wonder how scared he will be of the car, of strangers, etc. He also likes to be up high to see everything - he always climbs up to your shoulder, when you pick him up.

I have read a number of articles about the differences between females and males, but I can't really decide which would be better.
Both me and my husband are going to be working full-time. And, while we would like an affectionate kitten, we don't want him/her to be too dependent, as we won't be there for long periods during the day. Also, since we plan to neuter/spay the kitty, we don't want the playfulness to go away with that.

Does female personality change with spaying? What about the male's?
How do baby traits translate into adulthood? If the kitty is scratchy now, will he remain this way? And, if the baby doesn't like to sit in your lap, will that change with age?

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Btw, they babies are seven weeks now. I am planning to leave the one we choose with the parents until 12-14 weeks (I read they grow up being a little more secure that way).

Thank you very much,

-Elena-
:ca:

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2006, 01:07 PM
If no one is going to be home all day and if you have no other pets, I suggest you take two kittens.

One kitten is going to be lonely and miserable with nothing to do and no company all day. Also, it will be very needy and you aren't going to get much sleep. Kittens are most active at night and after being alone all day, it's too much to expect a kitten to stay alone all night too.

Two kittens are much easier, as they will play, cuddle and sleep together when no one is around.

Most kittens are too busy to spend much time sitting on your lap unless they are already tired. YOu can keep kittens from scratching you by making sure you never play with them with your hands - always use a toy like a feather wantd or something on a string.

Spaying and/or neutering is necessary. Without it, female cats are in heat nearly all the time, and males will spray and want to go out constantly to fight and search for females in heat. Spaying and neutering doesnt' change the personality, just stops undesirable behaviors caused by estrogen and testosterone.

A side note: please ask your mother to spay and neuter her cats. There are TONS of kittens homeless already, including MANY Siamese and Siamese mix kittens. Just check Petfinder. Breeding more is not a good thing. If she wants kittens, there's lots she could give a home to.

LM1313
May 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Lucky's right, two kittens will keep each other occupied and are actually MUCH less destructive than one kitten, as they can play with each other instead of getting bored and shredding the drapes.

Definitely spay and neuter, it will make no difference to them that they're brother and sister. Also, please do try to get your mother to spay and neuter her cats. I adopted my Siamese kitten from the animal shelter and there were several other Siamese there at the time too--being a recognizable breed does not keep animals from being homeless or put to sleep. :(

~LM~

alenka_ru_ca
May 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
My parents' cat are being neutered/spayed in a couple of weeks. This is the last litter :). We wanted to get the pair's baby as a pet, having the advantage of knowing the personality.

rainbow
May 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I agree. I think you should take both kitties. Two are definitely better than one for all the reasons that Lucky said.:thumbs up

kayla
May 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I agree that you should take both, it is so much fun watching two kittens play and cuddle together. They even help keep eachother clean! I have a male and female, the male is much more laid back, the female more playful, they love eachother to bits and I would never consider getting just one kitten again, two's the way to go! :)

LibbyP
May 10th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Hi alenka ru ca, I have to agree with the rest two kitties are much better than one, this way you would have the best from both, lap kitten and a talker, which is why (alot) of people like the breed,:crazy: I know because at 2:00am they feel that they have something to say - to bad for you ;) , I have to say I have two siamese one of each and they are VERY different, my m/n loves high spaces to look down on things and my f/s is quite happy to curl up in her bed and have a snooze, best of luck, send pics new babies are too cute:pawprint:

Stacer
May 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I agree too, 2 kittens is the way to go. We got our 2 last summer and I had convince my husband that getting 2 would be alot easier and more fun than one. And we both work all day(gone for up to 10 hours a day), so we felt that we needed 2 to keep each other company. And we find that it's not really that much more expensive to take care of 2. A boy and a girl will get along very well. Good luck, hope you decide to take them both.

Lucky Rescue
May 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Kittens raised in total isolation from their own kind often have behavioral problems (aggression, biting) and fear issues. They mature having no idea how to interact with other cats, making it nearly impossible to add another cat later if you wish to.

We won't adopt a kitten to people who have no other cats and who are not home all day, as we feel this is inhumane.

We wanted to get the pair's baby as a pet, having the advantage of knowing the personality.

It doesn't work that way, and you can get kittens who are totally different than either parent. That is no reason to breed - to get pets.

happycats
May 10th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I answered on the other post :) (dble post)

LM1313
May 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Another reason to get two is that Siamese can get a little neurotic and start eating wool and fabric if they're lonely.