Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need help

ekellerman
May 9th, 2006, 10:42 PM
My daughter has a boxer that is about four. She rescued him about a year ago, he was boney and not taken care of when she got him, he became fat and sleek. About four months ago he started having what looked like a few hive spots. Later it covered almost his entire body and his coat became brittle. He still eats but is losing weigh. She has taken him to two vets who have wormed him, given him shots charged two hundred dollars and then say 'I have no idea". They performed blood tests and other lab work. He is constantly scratching and seems miserable. I will do what it takes as she adores him, but I am exasperated with the results I get from the vets and it is almost useless to miss a day of work to be told,,don't know. Does ANYONE have an idea of what to try. Tried the benadryl, tried lotions. tried changing the food.

shredy
May 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Have you tried a hypoallegenic food, most people will tell you to avoid corn, but there are foods that are very specific for allergies. You can have him tested to see what his allegies are. Also, I use a special shampoo for my dog everytime she swims in the ocean (she has terrible allegies after swimming). It called SebaLyt Shampoo. You can get it from the vet, you need to ask if this would work for you. If nothing else is working, try the allergy tests. Good Luck!!

OntarioGreys
May 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Has your vet ruled out auto immune diseases and hypothyroidism?