Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Me Help My Dog, Nose Problem

twiztidmafia
May 9th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hi my names Chad, and i am the proud owner of 2 siberian husky mixes, they are brother and sister, both up to date on all shots, the one in question has never had any problems, my female has been spayed and has has a history or ear mites and sarcoptic mange....that has/is being treated with revolution...to my concern, my male has a slightly swollen nose, runs, clear watery liquid, and has a pinkish tone to the inside, as well as crusty spot along the outter edge of his nose, as well, seems the slits on the side of his nose are much longer than my females...any ways any ideas of what might be bothering him, he does not really experience any trouble breathing although he does seem to pant more often/for longer periods than my female.

Please respond with any advice you may have regarding this situation.
Thanks
Chad

Prin
May 9th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Have you been to the vet yet?

twiztidmafia
May 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
not yet, i was kinding hoping to get an idea of what is wrong with his to see if there is n e OTC or even rx meds to treat this before i goto the vet, just left about a week ago with my female with a almost 200 dollar bill, so im still kinda in shock from that....thank you whitewolf for deleting dbl posts btw

White Wolf
May 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM
No problem. Keep in mind, this site is not a substitute for a vet visit and members are not permitted to post specific medical advice.

twiztidmafia
May 9th, 2006, 08:58 PM
not looking for precise advice, just maybe an idea of what it might be

OntarioGreys
May 10th, 2006, 08:16 AM
The nose description makes it clear what is wrong :( I am going thru this myself, your vet may or may not due a tissue biopsy, mine did not as there are 2 possible answers lupus or Pemphigus and they are both treated the same way regardless what name we call it

Here is a link to check out and click on the link on this page called DLE Diary for more info with pictures http://www.rr-oona.com/DLE/DLEmain.html It is written in 2 language so select the britsh flag to view in English

You will need to go to the vet, most vets will treat using cortisone creams and daily prednisone, long term use on a daily basis of prednisone can have some very terrible side effects, I lost a dog in the past to it who also had and auto immune disease but it affected his skin instead of his nose. This is not to say I would never use the prednisone, but I would prefer to try and manage the disease as long as possible with the treatment below if the disease continues to worsen then I would use the prednisone as it is preferrable to letting her suffer with ulcerated skin that would likely become infected even though it might shorten her life considerably

One of my own dogs has this , hers has disseminated and now affects her lips and vulva, if you look at the treatment page , With my current dog I using the alternative treatments that is shown on the site
Tacrolimus (Protopic 0.1%, Topical 0.1%) which is an ointment applied to the nose to help heal the nose

Tetracycline & niacinamide (antibiotic & vitamin B3) and the Vitamin E and Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids These 3 have to be given daily for the rest of their lives, and are given to prevent or reduce to number of flare ups there is no cure this is a disease it has to be managed, it will go thru phases where it will heal and then flare up again but each successive flare up will leave more and more scar tissue.

Since they are littermates watch your other for skin or nose problems as well, as this is genetic so she may have the same or the one that affects the skin
In the link above some of the pictures in the diary are of Oona and some are of her brother Topi who also has

Discuss your options for treatment with the vet and understand what the side effects of the drugs are, for long term use

If your dogs were purchased from a breeder let them know, as the breeding pair should not be used again for breeding because it is a genetic disease.

Toonces
May 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Hi there,

I really hope it is not Pemphigus it is such a nasty painful disease. I had a foster dog that had muchiod Phemphigus and he had a long hard road to recovery but he is fine now and on a low dose of Pred every other day to control his outbreaks and so far so good he looks fantastic now with no relaps here is a good link to a site that describes the different kinds

http://www.allergyearskincare.com/autoimmune.htm

Good luck with your baby

Toonces
May 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Here is another usefull site

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pemphigus_foliaceus.html