Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hiding

Dano_61
May 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Hello

I have adopted a 3 year old Cat, he was in a shelter with other cats when i got him and before that with a elderly lady with 2 other cats. We have only had him for 2 days and i know there is a adjustment period when entering new surroundings.
He seems to hide alot, for hours at a time, where ever he can find a spot. When he does come out he is very friendly. I have never owned a cat before and i know their sleeping patterns are different than dogs. They like to sleep in the day, is this normal to hide so much?
Also any tips on handling the hair problem, wow i have to throw out all my black clothes lol , he is pure white (quite a handsome boy ) i know it's the time of the year for them to shed but would a grooming be a good idea ?

Dan

badger
May 9th, 2006, 06:36 PM
It all sounds pretty normal to me. Just let him do his thing, keep the litterbox clean and the food on tap. If he is friendly, maybe when he comes looking for affection you could try playing with him, anything on a string will do, whatever reinforces the connection. But let him set the agenda.

If he'll let you brush him, even better. Start around the head and neck, and be prepared to stop if he objects. Use a soft brush to begin with, later on he might let you use the kind with metal bristles (tipped with plastic), which is more effective. You didn't say if he was long-haired or if he was a good self groomer. Quite apart from the shedding, long-haired kitties usually need help to stay tidy and the less hair travelling through his system the better.

I've got a cuddly white boy too AND I'm fond of wearing black. Stock up on those sticky lint rollers and get out the vacuum cleaner is all I can say. After awhile a daily whip-round becomes routine. Plus my kitties are no longer allowed in the clothes closet. I don't know how it happens, but the hair seems to jump vertically onto anything hanging there. The few hairs that remain I wear as a badge of honour!

Thanks for giving this guy a home. He may not know it yet, but after shelter life, he's in heaven.

dmc123
May 9th, 2006, 07:03 PM
I agree with Badger.

Mine did the hiding thing after Simon (mixed breed dog) came to live with us. They like to be in a small dark place, mine loved the hole in the cover on my box springs :) Eventually they came around.

Your new guy has to get used to all the new stuff, smells, sounds, everything. He will come out when he is ready.

Good luck.
Diane

Mishkamax
May 9th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hiya Dan,

Just read your posting. Firstly I've been owned by several cats over the years. Depending on the breed (I've always gone in for the messy furry ones) but most cats love to hide away in some nice quiet (and preferably dark warm) place and sleep away their day, usually they will get more active at night, early evening, remember they are night stalkers! I use an old wives trick to get my cats settled in any new home, and that is to rub butter on their feet, just a little, worked for me, they always settled in great.

My first two (I always get them in pairs) were sisters (Azzie and Little) and black tipped white chinchilla's and they both lived till they were 16 years, my second pair, a tabby and tortie longhaired, brother and sister this time (Boris and Azzie). Boris just recently passed away in January and Azzie the year before.

If you have long haired cats you must do some serious grooming all year round (daily), or you'll find some pretty horrendous hair balls dumped on the carpet! (Or the bed if your really unlucky). Also to help them I used to serve a small tin of tuna in oil every week this'll help them digest the hair ball. Cats love to get groomed, use a nice soft brush, maximum purring! As for the black clothing, mmmm well sellotape worked for me. Get a scratching pole too, cats love to rip up soft furnishings, with a lust for scratching leather sofas.

Have fun, cats are wonderful creatures and if your really lucky and they like you, they'll take home presents for you, hopefully dead, but I've had quite a few live ones dumped on my bed.

Best Regards, Ramona

Dano_61
May 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Hello

Thank you for all your help, JD is a short hair, thank god, still tons of hair. I use a soft brush right now and he loves to be brushed. I am unsure of his past but is very nervous the smallest noise and he is gone for an hour. I think he needs a cut, hair seems long and matted even after a good brushing.
He seems most comfortable down in the basement when he does come up stairs it is only to eat and drink, i am guessing this will change when he gets comfortable with the house.
He is eating now and havnt seen him use the litter box , oh no, where is he going ? no bad smells that i have noticed.
I am sure all will work out, he is a great little guy, very affectionate

Dan

cpietra16
May 9th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I have 2 foster cats (since December 2005)and one sister made her self at home within a month and the other sister has now, 5 months later, come out of her safe bedroom to visit the kitchen. She even walked past the dog which she has been hissing at for 4 months. Give them space and they'll surprise you.

Dano_61
May 10th, 2006, 04:05 AM
hello

I am see a change already, this is day 3

Thank you

Dan