Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ringworm Outbreak

anderl00
May 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
I hope someone can help me. I have a litter of 8 - 8 week old AKC registered English springer spaniel puppies. When they were about 3 weeks old I noticed a small spot on one of the pups. Over the course of a few days it grew larger and I suspected ringworm. I inspected the other 7 pups and found 2 more with small spots. The first vet that saw them incorrectly diagnosed demodectic mange and put the entire litter on invermec. After one week the lesions were growing and getting worse...I still suspected ringworm although the mother dog had no lesions (she's generally an outdoor dog). We have 2 indoor dogs (cockers) and neither of them had any signs of ringworm nor did our outdoor cat or any of us. A 2nd vet was CONVINCED it was not ringworm and diagnosed impetigo brought on by strep or staff likely passed to them during birth. He put them on Clavimox but he agreed to culture for ringworm anyway as I wanted to be sure and rule it out. 7 days later he called and confirmed the culture was positive. I was sick...they were misdiagnosed twice and being treated for the wrong thing for over 2 weeks. We immediately put them on Fluvicin (I think that's the name). They get one pill every 4 days and have had 4 treatments to date. I'm also using conofite topically. These pups ended up loaded with ringworm spots. Some of them had as many as 12. They are due for one final dose of Fluvicin on Thursday and then supposedly "cured" even though some of them still have lesions that are moist and pussing. Some of them have dried up quite nicely but have not grown back their hair. I think they would have recovered faster if I could keep each one apart from the other but just don't have the facility for that. Once these pups are cleared of this they are perfectly beautiful, AKC registered puppies. Is there something else I should be doing for them? How do I advertise and explain their condition w/o scaring people away. I don't expect I'll make the same $$ as I normally would get but would like to at least make back what it has cost to care for them (pushing $800 now). They are getting too big for their kennel and I need to try and start finding new homes. Do you know of a breeder who would be willing to buy them at a discounted price? If worse comes to worse I will have to try and give them away. We are not large breeders. In fact, we've had only 3 litters in 7 years and never, ever had a problem. I'm very overwhelmed and just need some advice. Sorry to be so long-winded.

Lucky Rescue
May 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
This can be a very difficult thing to eradicate, since it's so highly contagious, since the spores float all over the place and can be carried on your hands and clothes.

How do I advertise and explain their condition w/o scaring people away.

Even if the lesions are gone, animals can be "silent carriers" of ringworm without showing signs themselves. You must tell anyone interested in these puppies about their ringworm.

Do you know of a breeder who would be willing to buy them at a discounted price?

Buy them at a discounted price for what purpose? Unless the parents are both show champions and have titles in something, and you know if any of the puppies are show/breeding quality, they should be spayed and neutered before going to homes. AKC registration means nearly nothing at all and is NO indication of quality.

If worse comes to worse I will have to try and give them away.

You bred these puppies and are responsible for them, and giving them away for free is very unethical. If YOU, their breeder, thinks they are worthless, why would anyone else not think so too. Do you know what happens to animals given for free?

I suggest you not breed anymore if this is your solution to a problem.

erykah1310
May 9th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I was going to do some quotes but Lucky Rescue summed it all up!

And as far as them "getting too big for their kennel" IMO they should be home raised. INDOORS. But thats my opinion.

I had a litter of 10 pups before and they were Rottie mixes, they lived in my house, and even when they were 12 weeks old and peeing EVERYWHERE I didnt mind. At least I was able to start them off on house training and there was less of a risk of infectious things from outside!