Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I have some pet problems!!

angel012086
May 9th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I have 3 dogs...2 are shih tzus and one is a beagle dalmation cross. the shih tzus are 3 and 2 years old and the beagle/dalmation is almost 1. The shih tzus are neutered, the other is not. I also have 2 cats, a male and a female. We just adopted the male, he is almost one, the female is almost 2.

I have 2 questions.

The first one is referring the the beagle/dalmation cross. He is very hyper and barks a lot. He mostly barks when he is outside. I run a dayhome so when the temperature is suitable, I boot the dogs outside so they leave the kids alone. But his barking is horrible...He will sit and bark and bark and bark and I am at my wit's end. I do not know what to do. He is also insanely hyper and that is just not good when I have children around. Do you think the hyperness could just be because he is still a puppy? (He will be one at the end of the month). And what can I do about the barking? I try to ignore it, I try to punish him but it just isn't getting better.

My second question is about the new cat we adopted. He hasn't been around dogs before and hisses and growls at the dogs, and the same with out cat, even though he has been around cats before. The dogs and our other cat don't like him either. Any suggestions as to how to get them to be friends, or do we just have to wait and let them take their time?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!:)

SarahLynn123
May 9th, 2006, 04:12 PM
About the Dalmation X, my understanding is that this is a very very energetic breed that needs alot of exercise. How much exercise does he get, and how often? Aslo beagles tend to be very vocal from my experience! Im sure your dog is barking becasue he is bored and wants to be with you. How long is he outside alone for during the day?

I dont have much experience with cats, as I only have 1, but lots of people do here and should be on shortly.

Sarah

jessi76
May 9th, 2006, 04:30 PM
so much wrong here, but I'll do my best....

1. get the beagle/dal mix neutered. asap.

2. a daycare + 3 dogs + 2 cats = conflict of interest for everyone involved, IMO. Perhaps you should look into sending your dogs to a doggy daycare or hiring a dog walker to come and exercise your dogs, while you have the children in the house. Additionally, I think it would help if you could spend an evening or two at obedience classes w/ the beagle/dal pup. Where did you get all these pets from? are they ALL suitable for children? What ages are the kids in the daycare?

3. the new cat should of been introduced properly to the rest of the family pets. SLOWLY. he should of been given his own space to start, then slowly introduced the other pets scents. this takes time and patience.

I really don't know what more to say, it seems you've created a very hectic situation.

chico2
May 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I agree with Jessi 100%,about the cat,it is a very slow process,you cannot just put them all together and hope for the best.
When I introduced my youngest cat to my 2 older ones,even though he was a small kitten,I had to keep them seperated for quiet a while,had to give them enough time to get used to the different smell.
Also,even if your new cat is used to dogs,he is not used to your dogs and is probably terrified:sad:
Dalmation/BeagleX???I would love to see a pic..and Good Luck,with cats,dogs and kids:p

mumfie
May 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I regularly have 4 or 5 under 5's in my home along with my 4 cats and scottish terrier. I've found the trick is to ensure all the cats, kids and dogs have their own "safe area", into which others do not go I achieve this with a variety of child gates, outside pens etc. not all my cats get on with each other or with the dog but if they can avoid each other at close quarters things seem to run pretty smoothly (most of the time). Try teaching the dog to bark on command, its then much easier to teach them to stop barking. Neutering is also a good idea.
Good luck

Beaglemom
May 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I agree with everything that has already been said. Your Dalmation/Beagle cross is a very active mix. I believe that the reason your puppy is hyper and is barking constantly is due to the fact that he is not getting enough exercise and has a lot of pent up energy. He needs to be exercised more. Beagles bark when they are bored, excited and happy. I believe your dog is barking in the backyard for a couple of reasons, boredom and pentup energy.

Please post pictures if you can, I would love to see them!

angel012086
May 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Wow! Lots of information. I'll try to address everybody's answers.

2 things that did stand out to me that I want to clarify are the pets with the dayhome and introducing the cat to the rest of the four legged kids. Firstly, with the dayhome, I keep the amount of time that the dogs are around the children to a bare minimum. All three dogs love kids, and all the kids I have love dogs, but I feel that it is too stressful of a situation for them to be around each other too much. The dogs have their own "bedroom" where they have plenty of toys and lots of room to run around and play, and I make sure that they get to go outside frequently so that they do not get bored being cooped up inside. The other thing was, I guess maybe I wasn't clear about this but I absolutely did not introduce the new cat to the other animals improperly. He has his own safe haven in the house where the other animals cannot get to him. I let him come into the house and familiarize himself with the house before I introduced him to the other animals, and when my husband and I did introduce them, we did it one animal at a time with me holding the new cat and him holding the other pet so that they would feel secure and safe and not be able to get any closer to each other than what is appropriate at this stage. Basically just enough so that they could see each other, and that was it.

Jessi had a few questions I will answer. Firstly, though, the reason we haven't neutered Joey yet is because our vet really does not like to do that (he feels that as long as you are going to be a responsible pet owner and have all the same sex dogs that it only causes unneccessary pain), plus we had a very bad experience when we neutered one of our shih tzus and are nervous to put Joey at risk.

Secondly, putting the dogs into a doggie daycare or hiring a dog walker is not really an option for 2 reasons. One, my days are usually at least 14 hours long and I don't think we could afford to hire care for them for that length of time, and secondly, I am in a small town in which those options do not exist to me. The same as the obedience classes. I would have to travel 2 hours to be anywhere where those things would be offered and that is just not feasible, unfortunately.

You had wondered where the pets came from, the shih tzus came directly from the breeders who my husband and I are friends with, and the dalmation beagle cross came from another family friend. The one cat is from my mom's farm, and the new kitty was rescued from a home where he was not able to stay at in another town. We only have had the new cat for a day, so I do not know firsthand how he is with kids, as he was hidden away in his safe place most of the day, but all of my others adore kids. The children's safety with my animals is a non-issue because they have all been around kids their whole life and enjoy children. My only concern in how hyper Joey is. Also, the kids I care for range from 18 months to 4 years old.

Another thing I noticed a lot of people asking was how much exercise Joey gets. Between walks and his running around the backyard chasing the other dogs and his toys, he gets a good 3-4 hours of exercise per day, I would say.

Wow, lots of typing. lol I hope that I have touched base on all the responses and clarified some stuff. I also want to ask mumfie if you have any suggestions on going about training Joey to bark on command. I'm afraid I won't know where to start! lol I have trained many dogs to do many things, but that is something I have always failed at.

Another thing was, as much as I appreciate all the responses, I feel that most of them were criticizing what I have done, and not offering advice on what to do to improve Joey's barking (other that exercise...do you think what he gets is enough?:confused: ) and is there anything that we can do to help the new kitty along the way to making friends with our pets, or do we just have to wait? If anyone can offer me any more advice than what I did get here, that would be great. And I'd really like to hear some of your tips, mumfie:)

Meagan

PS: I am going to attempt to load some pictures.:thumbs up

angel012086
May 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
That one was of Joey...He is a bit bigger now, but that is one of the most recent pictures I have on the computer. Basically he is the size of a beagle with dalamtion coloring. He is very cute.

I'll try Casper next...

angel012086
May 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Okay, that was Casper with what I call his "Elvis smile" lol.

Next is Mozart. He is the oldest.

angel012086
May 9th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Naomi...(she is the cat we had before we got the new kitty)

angel012086
May 9th, 2006, 06:13 PM
...And Theo (Theodore)...Sorry those pics are all so big:sorry:

chico2
May 10th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Thank's Angel,what a sweet bunch,beautiful kitties especially the orange one:love: I hope you get the problems resolved:fingerscr

AshleyMic
May 10th, 2006, 11:10 AM
I have never heard of a vet that does not recommend spaying/ neutering. You can be the most reponsible pet owner but accidents happen, what if your furbaby somehow got out and impregnated another dog. Being a responsible pet owner means doing everything you can to ensure that no more unwanted pets are brought into this world. I understand you may be hesitant after a bad experience but please reconsider as it really is the best thing to do for your pup.
Good Luck

Beaglemom
May 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM
First, I would like to say that you have beautiful furbabies!

Teaching Joey to bark would be the first step in teaching him quiet. Once he learns the command, if you find him barking too much, you could always tell him quiet. I've never taught a dog to speak, but have taught them quiet.

I believe that Joey may need some more stimulation. I know that my beagle gets bored, fast! What kind of toys does he play with? Does he have any mind stimulation toys? This would keep him occupied and he would bark less.

Daisy_Mae
May 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Aww..lovely family you have. I especially love you new guy, I have a soft spot for beagles, being I have one!

I can't help with the barking, if I could I would had my neighbours yappy JRT trained by now!:(

I can tell you from experience with owning 6 very different cats that what you have done so far is good. Although having the other pets meet your new kitty by holding them isn't the best idea. Most cats don't like to be forced like that. Having his own place is your first step which you have taken care of. A gate of some kind or something where the pets can see each other but not touch is better then holding them close to each other.

I had a behaviourist help me with my 3 cats that were not getting along and the male was beating up the females. I diligently followed his plan for 4 months and by the end all I accomplished was giving the 2 females less fear of him. They donít get along but they worked it out themselves as to their comfort levels and they just avoid each other and respect each otherís space. Ultimately your pets will decide for themselves how to co-exist but they need your help in giving them space so they are not scared and uncomfortable. All my pets have their own ďspaceĒ

I have 1 cat that hates dogs. Her personal space is the basement. It took 3 months for her to be comfortable enough to come upstairs and be around the dogs. Cats take time to adjust. She hisses at them and they walk away from her. The dogs have learned she means business and they are to leave her alone. I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and no matter what I did, they decided how it was going to be!

Be patient, donít force any of them to be around each other and they will be ok. Good luck!

angel012086
May 10th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks, guys:) My world revolves around my babies and they are all so spoiled rotten. Things have gotten a little better with the new kitty. He will venture upstairs when the dogs are outside. Him and the other cat aren't crazy about each other, but they tolerate each other.

Mozart (one of the shih tzus) will squeeze through the gate at the top of the stairs (the shih tzus fit through it, but the beagle doesn't...we have a second gate at the bottom of the stairs that the shih tzus can't get through)...But yeah, Mozart will go to the bottom gate and watch Theo, and Theo will tease him by coming close to the gate. Earlier this morning, Theo even jumped over and they sat and watched each other about a foot apart, so that was great. Casper (the other shih tzu) will go down and Theo teases him too, but hasn't come over the gate to him yet.

Joey is scared of Theo and barks at him which of course scares Theo, so those 2 will probably be the ones that take the longest to get along. Joey is also the "baby" of the family, and he is the only one that hasn't had to deal with a new baby coming home. Naomi was the second pet we got, and looking back, Mozart (the oldest) hated her...Casper was okay because Naomi was still little when we got him and Casper was, of course, only 10 weeks(he's the other shih tzu, by the way) and Mozart had actually known him since Casper was born and had picked him out to bring home...But all three of them hated Joey. And now they all love each other. I think my biggest issue is that all of the others had been babies when they came home and Theo is not, so he is set in his ways, as are all the others so it seems like there is no compromising.

As for the barking...Well, here's a story...Our next door neighbour is the police sergeant in town (it isn't his house, it is owned by the police dudes) and him and his wife have a little terrier named Rico...Rico is great friends with our dogs and they are all always "talking" to each other through the fence...And even when they aren't talking, Rico tends to bark a lot, as does my Joey...So they don't mind that Joey is loud because so is their dog...But they're moving because he's been transferred, so let's hope that the new sergeant is as good about Joey as he is!

I have been trying to get Joey to bark on command so that I can get the little butthead (I love him, but he can be a butthead...lol) to be quiet when his barking isn't appropriate...So far I have had zero luck. My biggest fear is that I will get him to do it, I'll reward him for it and then I'll never get him to shut up! lol When we got him I would always give him a treat when he came inside from being in the yard when we were training him to go to the bathroom outside, so Mr. Mischevious spent the summer asking to go out, and then turning around and running back in before we even closed the door and going straight for the treat cupboard. lol

Even though we are nervous to have Joey neutered, it will probably get done in the next little while. We just had such a horrible time with Mozart when he got done and we're really nervous to go through that again.

As for toys, the dogs have a lot of different chew toys and stuffed toys (some with squeakers, some not). They have lots of balls, there's a kong around somewhere and a bunch of other stuff. The thing with Joey is, he doesn't really play with the toys, other than the balls. The only time he plays with anything but a ball, it is when one of the other dogs has something and he will steal it from them. Does anyone know of any toys I can get him that he might be more interested in and that would stimulate him? I haven't really seen anything that we don't already have.

Thanks, everyone!:)

LM1313
May 10th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Dalmations are a VERY active breed. They used to run along behind stage coaches as guards--that should give you an idea of their energy needs, LOL! I'm not sure about beagles, but I think they're very active as well and tend to be a "barky" breed. He's probably lonely . . . do you have toys outside for him? Kongs?

Regarding the cat, I wouldn't force the issue as long as no one is actually fighting and getting hurt. Try giving everyone lots of treats while they're in the same room (so they get positive associations from being around the other critters) and don't let the dogs chase the cat.

But be aware that some animals will tolerate each other, but not become friends. Like our cat Phantom . . . She pretty much ignored the dog, despite being raised with her since kittenhood. She wasn't afraid of the dog and she didn't hiss at the dog, but they never interacted or cuddled up together. It just depends!

~LM~

kaytris
May 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Dogs are pack animals - and beagles even more so - the outside barking is telling you he's bored and lonely. I would up his physical and mental exercise ... although romping in the backyard seems like a lot to you, its probably not enough. How long are his walks? Can you play fetch with him outside?

Instead of putting him outside during the day, I would either crate him for a rest time, or baby gate him in a room so that he can see whats going on.

What went wrong with the first neuter? Was it the same vet that you use now?

rainbow
May 10th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Does anyone know of any toys I can get him that he might be more interested in and that would stimulate him? I haven't really seen anything that we don't already have.

Try one of those "treat balls". Put a portion of his daily food amount in it and he'll have to work at it to get the kibble out.

angel012086
May 11th, 2006, 11:13 AM
When we got our shih tzus neutered, we got them both done at the same time. Casper also had a cherry eye and an umbilical hernia, so he was doped up on puppy painkillers for about a week, so that wasn't so bad (other than the fact that we had to hand feed him for almost a week because he couldn't walk to the dish, let alone sit or stand up long enough to eat...but that's another story...lol). But with Mozart, he was in soooooo much pain for about 2 days after and he couldn't lay down or sit...We had to actually lay him down on his side because he couldn't get to that position because he was in so much pain. The vet had no idea what was wrong and said it was probably just that he didn't handle the pain very well and gave us painkillers for him. The only problem with that was he had a reaction to them and he was incredibly sick for days after that. So not only was he in intense pain from the neutering (to this day we don't know what his problem was but I'm sorry, I know my dogs and I know that is wasn't that he was just being a baby...There was something seriously wrong)...So he was in pain from the neutering and sick from the meds...So I am not eager to have to do that again. And with my vet having discouraged those surgeries in the first place, and now discouraging us from getting Joey done, my husband and I just want to make sure that it is really worth it.:(

angel012086
May 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Ooooops, I forgot to touch base on some stuff. We do have one of those treat ball things (you mean a kong, right) but I don't know where it is. I have a hunch Joey probably chewed it apart and ate it. lol But seriously, he is really bad for that. Whatever he can get his little paws on, whether it's his toys or not) he is always on a search and destroy mission. lol But I will pick up another one the next time we are in the city and see if he will refrain from eating it, rather than what goes inside of it.

As for his walks, we usually walk about 1 km a day. I have had a lot of issues with teaching Joey to walk properly on a leash (I think it is the hunting instinct with the beagle in him because as soon as we go out his nose goes straight to the ground and he just cruises sniffing his way around our route) so walking him for a kilometre is like weight training for a very long time.

As for crate training, we do put him in his kennel when we are not home, but when if he is in it and he can see or hear anyone, he barks and whines and moves around so much I'm scared he is going to tip the thing over. lol And I have yet to find a baby gate that he can't jump over...Even 2 on top of each other he can clear. To be honest, he can jump just as high as our 6 foot fence in the backyard, thankfully he hasn't realized he could jump over it yet (knock on wood) but he can jump that high.

I want to say that I know it seems like I am shooting down everyone's advice, and I do not mean for it to seem that way. I am really thankful to you guys that you are offering me suggestions, it's just that I really do think I have tried everything! I was in Walmart yesterday and went to pick up some rawhides and saw one of those collars that shock the dog if they bark or jump or whatever, and I was actually tempted to buy it which is absolutely horrifying to me because I do not believe in physical discipline, whether it is to an animal or child or whatever...So I'm realizing that I really am getting desperate:sad:

Has anyone every seen those shows Supernanny or Nanny911? They need one for pet parents, and I am so number one in line when they do! lol

Melei'sMom
May 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Hi Angel. Where abouts in Alberta are you. If you are near Edmonton, I can tell you about some great places to get good deals on supplies for your pets.

I see that you have gotten lots of good advice already, so the only things I have to add are...
Please don't use the shock collar! :eek: IMO they are cruel and useless.

And seriously consider getting your pup nuetered. You may actually see him calm down a bit after, no scientific basis for that, just personal experience that fixed pets are calmer.

And welcome to the bords fellow Albertan and shihtzu momma :D

jessi76
May 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Ooooops, I forgot to touch base on some stuff. We do have one of those treat ball things (you mean a kong, right) but I don't know where it is. I have a hunch Joey probably chewed it apart and ate it. lol

my dog is a toy destroying machine. he's destroyed 2 black kongs thus far. as for the treat ball things, not those are not kongs, those are actual balls or cubes that the dogs knocks around, and treats are randomly dispensed. Some toy names are, Talk to me Treat Ball and a Bustercube. pet supply stores (petco, petsmart) carry these. another toy I'm currently using and my dog has NOT destroyed (yet) is the Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude (same concept as KONG), but the Busy Buddy line has other treat-dispensing toys. The manufacturer is Premier. here's a link: http://www.busybuddytoys.com/

I think it is the hunting instinct with the beagle in him because as soon as we go out his nose goes straight to the ground and he just cruises sniffing his way around our route

you can use this instinct to tire him out. Hide toys & treats around a room for him to "hunt".

as for the neuter, I can understand that you don't want to go through that ordeal again, but it is healthier for the dog to be neutered. Perhaps someone in your area could recommend another vet to you.

good luck!

angel012086
May 11th, 2006, 06:14 PM
No worries about the shock collar...I think they are cruel and inhumane...I was just so frustrated with him that I was actually tempted and I was horrified with myself (he has been being a lot worse this past week, usually I just suck it up and ignore him when he's getting on my nerves). I know that even if I had given into temptation and bought it, it would have gone back to the store without ever being opened...Even if I didn't think they were a horrible thing to use, I would never be able to inflict pain on one of my babies just because he likes to talk to me (as annoying as that talking can be...lol),

As for those Busy Buddy toys, they look awesome! This line totally sold them for me..."Each Busy BuddyTM toy is made with a different and unique chewing experience in mind and helps redirect potentially destructive chewing behavior into positive playtime."

And I promise I will seriously consider having Joey neutered. My logical thinking tells me it's the best thing to do for everyone, but then there's that irrational 'they-hurt-my-babies' thoughts that go through my head that make me think twice. lol

Melei'sMom, I'm about an hour and 15 minutes east of Edmonton...I'm in the city rather frequently, though. I would love love love it if you could let me know of those places to get good deals on pet stuff! Is it just toys or everything? It would be great if I could get a good deal on dog food...We go through an 18kg bag in 3 weeks(:eek: ) and we buy Alpo so although it's not the most expensive one, it's definately not cheap. I would also love to see a picture of your shih tzu baby if you have one. I used to dislike small dogs a lot but when I met my husband he already had Mozart and I fell in love with him. They're like little teddy bears:love:

mafiaprincess
May 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM
How much does it cost you for an 18kg bag? Alpo is actually a bottom of the barrel food full of really sketchy ingredients. Better quality foods you often feed less of because they aren't full of fillers, and often work out to being cheaper in the long run.

jd23dog
October 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
wondering if you still have problems with joey- I have had a dalmation beagle before so maybe i could help ya

Dogastrophe
October 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM
This thread is over a year old. :pawprint: