Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wellness

bellajane
May 9th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hi There!
I have had my 5year old yellow lab on Wellness Super five mix (chicken) for a few years now. Since they changed their formula, she has had diarrhea. I have had her checked and rechecked by a vet, had a toxic panel done on her feces and a routine stool sample. She is free and clear of all of these things.
She is acting normally and drinking and eating normally. Has anyone else had any problems with Wellness' new formula??
Thanks!

Prin
May 9th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I don't feed it but I have heard of dogs having trouble with it... It sucks because they didn't tell anybody, so basically, everybody changed foods without doing it gradually.

Personally, I'd fast the dog for 24 hours and then give a half a portion and see what happens... If the diarrhea comes back, I think you might have to change foods.:rolleyes:

Denwishy
May 10th, 2006, 12:56 PM
When did they change the formula? Is there something wrong with the new one now?

rainbow
May 10th, 2006, 02:31 PM
The formula changed when Hagen started manufacturing their food for them. I'm not sure of the date but I think it's within the last six months. I don't feed it to my dogs but I've read that alot of people are having problems with their dogs since the formula changed.:pawprint:

Denwishy
May 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Oh geeez. I just switched my dog to Wellness fish and potato formula too!!!!

Do you know what kind of problems are people having?

mafiaprincess
May 12th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Prin, they did tell people. The new batch of bags came with a tag on the front that told you they switched the formula, it was richer, dogs liked it better, but to feed less for the first like week, cause it wasn't the same as the old wellness.

But that said, I am like a day feeding away from being done that bag of wellness and I didn't think it agreed with my dog as well as the old stuff did.

sammiec
May 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I had just com here to post something about this food.

I didn't realize the forumla change, I'm pretty busy and don't have time to read over the bags... I just assumed it the same. :(

Briggs has had sores on her side for a couple months now. The vet had no idea where they are coming from. She's constantly itching and hair is falling out around the area... I eliminated everything BUT her food because she's been on it for a couple years now I never thought that it could be the culprit.

I guess I will be switching brands. :(

mafiaprincess
May 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
That's awful.. I'm sorry about your dog. Mine started itching her ears more.. but it could also be enviro, but nothing that major.

It was a pull of little booklet stuck to the front of the bag rather than a part of the packaging. I read it, but it didn't totally click that the food wasn't a little different, it might be a lot different.

jesse's mommy
May 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM
We just switched Jesse to Wellness a few weeks ago and she loves it and has no tummy problems with it at all, but then she has a rock for a stomach.

The only thing that has ever bothered her was something dead she ate in the backyard when Daddy wasn't really watching her (then he gave her a ton of treats to try to cover up the smell in her mouth), but she was fine in a day. :rolleyes:

Prin
May 13th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Even if a dog has been on the same food for years, don't assume it isn't the culprit. Doggies tend to become allergic out of nowhere sometimes..

I guess the wellness change is like any other food change- some dogs will change well, and others won't agree with the food at all, so you just have to keep trying.

It doesn't mean that Wellness is bad- especially not if they did actually try to tell people- but it just isn't right for your doggy.;)

Does anybody know what changed? Whatever it is, it would be handy to know if your doggy is allergic to it.