Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Demodectic mange in Pug

Pugs Rule
May 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Hi all,

I am new to this site. I happened upon it searching for info on mange. My pug is 11 months, was diagnosed last month with generalized demodectic mange. I didn't help that the first 6 scrapings were negative, and we had to do a biopsy to confirm the mites. We are treating with Ivermectin, and have switched to a more nutritious diet (thanks Prin, I have read several of your posts!)

Does anyone hear have any experience with mange? I've read nothing but scary things for the last month.

Thanks!

BMDLuver
May 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM
The ivomec works wonders as does a good diet. It's a slow process but it does clear up.. a lot of it also has to do with age. Has your vet also given you a script for Vanectyl P? It really helps to clear it up along with the ivomec in our experience.

jessi76
May 9th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Soon after I brought my dog home when he was 8wks, we began the battle w/ demodex.

At first, it was only 2 spots, and we (our vet and us) decided to leave it alone, and see if it cleared up by itself (which it sometimes does do). My dog developed more spots, and we decided to use Goodwinol Ointment for a while instead of the Ivermectin. It took a while, but with diligent use (twice a day) for a few months, the Goodwinol ointment DID clear it all up. Also, most pups will outgrow this mange by 8-10mths old.

I did also put my dog on a high quality food, which helped ALOT.

How old is your pug?

lpn169
May 11th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Post says it is 11 months old...
Sorry, no experience with mange. Hope he heals quickly!

Pugs Rule
May 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM
He looks a lot better this week, his energy is back up and he seems to finally have stopped throwing up from the Ivermectin! So I am relaxing a bit. Now if only his fur would grow back, he looks like a science experiment gone astray! We will be back to the vets soon for some follow up scrapings.

BMD - we had him on Vanectyl twice. It helped the symptoms a lot, but made him extremely hungry. 10 mins after feeding he would throw himself against the closet door where the food was. So we decided no more steriods for him!

Thanks everyone for you support! :)