Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle Owners

kspj2
May 9th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Does anyone that own a Beagle that have been neutered? I have a 5 months old Beagle name Bailey. I want a comment from anyone about it and how the Beagles reacted after being neutered?

Kelly

SnowDancer
May 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I had a male Beagle many years ago and male Dachshunds after him and now a male Eskimo who was neutered at 7 months. No personality changes whatsoever. Only difference is that I no longer needed to worry about the many unspayed females who were determined to have their way with my hot looking boy toys! Many people told me not to worry that their dogs were a lot bigger than mine - well, dogs are able to bend over. I realize that the pups would not have been my responsibility - except of course if I happened to find a basket full of puppies on my front steps. Please have your Beagle neutered as soon as vet agrees he is physically ready.

Daisy_Mae
May 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I have a beagle. He's around 5 years old and I took him in about 3 months ago. He was a stray and wasn't neutered. I had him neutered and the vet sent me home with pain medication. He recovered in a little over a day. He was a very anxious dog and it did help calm him down. It also helped with his need to mark everything in the house. I have had no personality changes for the worse if that is your concern. I *think* I was sent pain meds home because he was older and it's supposed to be quite painful. Some people thought I was cruel for doing it at his age. I am told that sending home pain meds isn't standard but it helped and he had no complications or major pain.

I neuter/spay all my pets for their health, safety and ethical reasons (not contributing the the pet overpopulation)

Beaglemom
May 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Neutering helps prevent marking in the house. It also helps with roaming. A neutered dog will not have the urge to go and search for that female in heat in the neighbourhood. Neutering is also recommended for health reasons. A neutered dog will obviously not get testicular cancer. Neutering also prevents prostate problems, such as prostate enlargement which can cause a perineal hernia which can lead to other more serious problems. I would highly recommend neutering. I had my female beagle spayed at 6 months, before her first heat. She was perfectly fine after her surgery and was back to normal, playing and just being a regular beagle puppy.

Daisy_Mae
May 10th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks Beaglemom, I was too lazy to type out the health benefits!:o