Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Relieving on the deck???

Toby
May 8th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on how to train my 10.5 week old lab not to relieve itself on the deck? In order to get outside from our family room there is an upper deck and stairs that lead down to ground level. Sometimes our dog Toby (not always) relieves itself on the upper deck. Previously, we were gating the stairway to the upper deck but he would continuously bark and whine. Once we removed the gate, and he was free to go up and down the stairs the barking and whining stopped instantly. But unfortunately when we leave him outside through the day he doesn't always go down the stairs. Any advice would be great!

mafiaprincess
May 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Not leaving him alone outside?
If you aren't there to correct the behaviour there's little you can do about it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Toby originally posted Does anyone have suggestions on how to train my 10.5 week old lab not to relieve itself on the deck? In order to get outside from our family room there is an upper deck and stairs that lead down to ground level. Sometimes our dog Toby (not always) relieves itself on the upper deck. Previously, we were gating the stairway to the upper deck but he would continuously bark and whine. Once we removed the gate, and he was free to go up and down the stairs the barking and whining stopped instantly. But unfortunately when we leave him outside through the day he doesn't always go down the stairs. Any advice would be great!

Gosh I have the exact same set as you - and Joey was relieving himself on the deck all the time . But truthfully our deck was being replaced so I didnt fret about too much.

Now since we have replaced the upper deck and Joey is now going on the grass or the rocks. Dont ask me why - If he knows I am watching him he will go down the stairs -when he pees on the grass he gets lots of praise. Knock on would he hasnt peed on the stone patio yet.

I would say if you can go out on the deck with him and guide him down the stairs - praise him when he pees on the grass. Perhaps take him on leash if you need to. I do this with Joey guide him to the stairs - he goes down does his business and comes back up again.

or you could get a new deck :p Your puppy surely wouldnt want to get the nice new wood all dirty. :D

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 06:41 PM
The only way you should be training a 10.5 week old puppy is to take him outside and go down the stairs with him.

Take him to where you want him to pee and poop and when he goes praise him and bring him right back in the house. Also you should not leave a 10.5 week old puppy outside unattended.:pawprint:

BusterBoo
May 8th, 2006, 08:13 PM
During the winter, when there was snow on the deck, Harley (age 3 1/2 yr) would pee in the snow. The gate was opened to allow him to go down and I just kept telling him...."all the way down" or "down to pee" and he evenutally clued in.

You still have a very young puppy who will need your guidance and patience. Just keep reminding him to go all the way down. :)

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on how to train my 10.5 week old lab not to relieve itself on the deck? In order to get outside from our family room there is an upper deck and stairs that lead down to ground level. Sometimes our dog Toby (not always) relieves itself on the upper deck. Previously, we were gating the stairway to the upper deck but he would continuously bark and whine. Once we removed the gate, and he was free to go up and down the stairs the barking and whining stopped instantly. But unfortunately when we leave him outside through the day he doesn't always go down the stairs. Any advice would be great!
If he's outide alone all day, chances are he's hanging around the door trying to see you and to be a part of the family, so odds are in favor of him relieving himself where he hangs out all day, right?