Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Preventing gallstones from reoccurring?

KimberlyBC
May 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hi there,
My husband and I have adopted an 8 year old mini schnauzer. Just prior to her adoption, she received surgery for the removal of 2 golf ball sized gallstones! She must have been in terrible pain and I can't believe her previous owners just dumped her somewhere instead of treating her, or at least letting the SPCA know (she was picked up as a stray). Anyhow, she's in our safe, loving home and I just wanted to know if there's anyway I can prevent this condition from reoccurring thru her diet or other methods?

The SPCA recommended Hill's prescription diet s/d for stone control, but the vet said that's just to dissolve the stones and is not for long term. The vet recommended Hill's w/d for weight control, but she is not overweight. Other people have suggested to me that fat can cause the stones to reoccur, so that's why the w/d may have been recommended.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
May 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I think you mean bladder stones? Minature Schnauzers are a breed that is VERY prone to this problem and not much can be done to truly prevent them.

You can read about this here:
http://www.mscc.ca/stones.html