Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are my dogs front fangs too long?

colletto
May 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I notice over the past 3 weeks that my boys lower lip is a little raw and sometimes bleeds. It's in the area right where his canine (I think that's what they are called) teeth hit his lip. It's like this on both sides. It now almost looks like a canker sore. I don't think it bothers him as he eats and plays fine, still chews sticks outside (which I thought may also be the cause). If anyone has experienced this, I would love to know. He is a 5 year old, neutered mixed breed. Somedays it looks fine, other days is raw looking and sometimes it bleeds a little. Thanks to all.:usa: :thumbs up

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I don't think that's normal. Is he licking excessively? I ask because sometimes when they lick, their teeth rub on their lips until their raw. To me there's something else going on that is causing the rubbing. I suggest seeing a vet and asking what he/she thinks about it.:)

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I would take the sticks away from him and make sure he doesn't have access to any. Also get him checked by your vet.:pawprint:

OntarioGreys
May 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Have your vet take a look as suggested, sometimes there can be other medical causes for lip problems

SnowDancer
May 8th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I would definitely have the vet check out your pup. My Eskie has rather large canines as well - when he is in a deep sleep the left one in particular hangs out over his lip - but he has absolutely no irritation to his lips. Guess he should have had braces. He tries very hard to take a cookie without his teeth touching your hand but kind of hard considering he is a small standard with a big standard's teeth. Hope everything is okay with your dog.

colletto
May 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks you all, I think you nailed it. He does seem to have allergies, and the Vet told me in the past to give him Benadryl. I hate giving it to him cause it makes him so drowsy. But he has been licking a lot lately and maybe causing the irratation to his lips. But I will call the Vet and have him take a look.

colletto
May 8th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thought I shared a picture of my boy Bubba. Love to chat with all dog owners. Sorry cat owners, but I never owned a cat so although I love all animals my passion is puppies.

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Such a cutie! I love his little cheek fur..:)

Oh, wait... That's his neck..:o