Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

At my wits end!

tr_a_ce
May 8th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Someone please help me. My cat is excessivly urinating where ever he wants to! I've tried everything to get him to stop......I have two litter boxes because I have to cats, I clean it out every day. I mix baking soda in the litter to neutralize the odor. I've actually caught him urinating in the chair he sleeps on all the time, he always goes for laundry and the door mats. I've rubbed his face in it, which was devistating for me, but I just don't know what else to do. I'm just at my breaking point and I have no idea how to control him.

Desperate for help!

jawert1
May 8th, 2006, 12:22 PM
First off, don't EVER rub your cats nose in an accident, they aren't dogs, and do not equate punishment with the offence. Secondly, a cat going in it's sleeping spot is usually ill, so it's time for a vet checkup to make sure he's ok physically. Also, if he's not neutered, he really needs to be. Please take him to the vet to make sure and don't punish him again - it's useless and abusive.

tr_a_ce
May 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Okay the last thing I am is abusive to my cat.

No he is not sick, he just had a vet check up and is in operfect health.

And he is fixed.

I take the very best care of my cats. The have the best food I can buy for them, lots of toys, they get plenty of love and attention.

But when you've tried everything.....and nothing is working.....it's to the point where I can't take much more. And rubbing his face in his mess was a last resort.

Please don't use the word abusive to me or anyone else you may respond to. You don't know me and I'm highly insulted you would say something like that to me.

Frenchy
May 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I think the only way to find out is to take your cat to the vet and ask for his urine to be tested.

SarahLynn123
May 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hi Trace, I know what your going through!

First off, I have a male neutered cat aswell and he all of a sudden started to pee everywhere!!! It turns out he has crystals in his urine and and an infection. He peed everywhere because it was painful to pee in his litter box (and everywhere else) so he kept moving places.

Male cats are very prone to this because, as I understand, they have a narrow urethra which is easily blocked and dont drink enough water by nature.

I would check this out first, take him to the vet and have his urine tested. They will know the same day they get the urine if this is the problem. Its generally a simple fix, just pills and canned food. It doesn't cost much either for the test, $45 or so.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Sarah

jawert1
May 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Trace I didn't call YOU an abusive person, but the behaviour is and I stand by THAT aspect of my statement. I have no doubt you take GREAT care of your cats, otherwise you wouldn't be on this forum seeking advice. As Sarah stated, crystals in cats are tough to spot other than in behaviour, only a vet can diagnose and a normal check-up wouldn't show this. Good luck at the vets and hope your cat is better soon.

Lucky Rescue
May 8th, 2006, 01:03 PM
When cats do this, there is a reason for it - either a stress reaction or a physical problem, so you can see that "rubbing his face in it" when he is stressed or sick is inhumane. NOT saying that YOU are cruel, but this action is.

As has been pointed out, a regular check up would not reveal the presence of crystals, or a urinary tract infection. Both of these are VERY common in neutered males, especially if they eat dry food only.

You need to take your cat back to the vet for this particular problem.

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with the others that a vet trip is necessary to get his urine checked. It sounds like an infection or crystals. Please let us know the results.:pawprint:

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM
At the risk of sounding like "me too", I would take your kitty to the vet asap. No matter how healthy he was at the most recent vet visit, his behaviour is anything but and cats usually are attempting to communicate something when they urinate inappropriately. It can be a physical prob - ie crystals - or it could be some psychological. Any new things in his life? Any trauma? And remember that cats are scared easily - several studies indicate this and thus he needs help in some way.

Please do not hurt him by rubbing his nose in it. Cats do not understand that kind of punishment or ant punishment for that matter - they only know the person they love is being mean to them and they do not know why. Cats respond to positive reactions - praise him when he does well.

If you have two cats, what is the dynamic between the two? Do you have the minimum 2 boxes plus one? Perhaps he needs his own box- some cats just do!

Good luck!!