Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

obsessed cat

crazyk1020
May 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Hi 'yall, I just have a quick question about a qwirk that my big boy has. He plays fetch (just like a little dog) with these little poms that I buy at Walmart. At first it was really cute, he'd play for about five-ten minutes and then would lay down and nap or go play with his brother. Now it is an all night/day thing. Whenever my fiance and I are sitting on the couch he will sit right next to us and get up in our face and meow and cry, rub against us and bring the ball right in our laps. This goes on until we go to bed or throw the ball, (but then it starts all over if we stop). We try pushing him off of our laps but then he continues on the floor and rubbing against our feet and legs and crying and making those awful yowling noises. He will follow us around the house with it in his mouth, and even if we take it away he will still contiue the behavior like he had one. I mean it isn't a huge deal, but I am not sure that it is "normal" or healthy for a cat to be obsessing like this. :confused: I mean growing up I always had labs and they did obsess, but you took away the toy and they 'forgot' about it, he just doesn't (and he's a cat!). Is there anyone who has had a similar experience with this? We do pay tons of attention to them, and I am home most of the day since I am a student and work only part time on weekends and a couple evenings, my fiance comes home about an hour after I leave on those nights, so they get tons of affection and play time. He is physically healthy also. I also don't want to rid him of the behavior completely because I think he really does enjoy playing fetch, I am just worried he is taking it to an extreme. Any info or suggestions are welcome!!! :)

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 03:13 PM
We used to have two cats that would retrieve. We thought it was really cute as did all our friends as no one had ever seen one cat, let alone two of them, "play fetch". But once we stopped and got up they would go off and find something else to do. Does he not play with his brother any more?

Also, do they have any other toys to play with? Try hanging one of those dangling ones in a doorway or get one of those round circle ones that have a ball inside that they bat along a track.:D

crazyk1020
May 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM
They do have tons of other toys to play with. He only plays with his brother occassionally now, which I feel bad about :( . I think his brother may feel "left out." I have hanging toys, mice toys, paper bags, balls in the track as you suggested. The only time he plays with his brother is when we go to bed and they are left to the rest of the house, then I hear them rumbling and tumbling up and down the stairs throughout the house, just like a WWF wrestling match :D . I am just concerned about his obessive behavior with these poms, because even if we take them away he goes looking for them and then sits by us just like he has one there for us to throw. The yowling and crying is the worst. We try very hard to ignore it, but when he jumps up on your chest and does it right in your face, it is really difficult.

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
LOL...he is persistant !!! What if you tried putting one of his poms into the track circle toy?:D

chico2
May 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I cannot really see it as a problem,kind of cute actually...but if it is a constant,I suppose it could be annoying to some people.
I too had a cat(Peppi)who loved to play fetch..
I'll have all three of my cats,surrounding me every night if I watch TV and they'll meow and paw me until I get their treats:D
Maybe you should get him a laser-pointer,it has my cats climbing the walls:D to divert his attention from the ball and fetching,but again it involves you playing with him.

crazyk1020
May 8th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I have never considered a laser pointer, maybe that is something that would also involve his brother. I don't have a problem playing with him, I do it everyday, they both get at least 45 minutes of individual play time with one of us. It is just he goes above and beyond that. It literally lasted from 4:30-10:00 last night of constant yowling, even after we would play fetch for an hour and he would fall over in a heap of panting tired out kitty, he still persisted even though I know he was exhausted. We had to put it away and then the yowling started again...comparable maybe to a 2 year old temper-tantrum :D ?!? Maybe I will have to go get a laser pointer so his brother gets to be involved and turn it into "family play time" instead of just his brother and us. Thanks for the wonderful suggestion!! :D I really enjoy all the input that is given on this forum, I enjoy hearing other people's stories and experiences.

chico2
May 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Wow,from 4:30-10:00,he must have been exhausted,my cats would not be able to play that long.
With the laser-pointer you can involve both cats,just make sure you do not shine it into the cats eyes,I've read somewhere it could be dangerous.

Dano_61
May 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Hi'

Lazer pointers are very dangerous, on both humans and animals, i work for a division of the CSA, testing products before they go to market and we tested them. Not sure what the intended use was meant to be but i am sure it wasnt to point them at someones eyes, many recorded cases of temporary blindess if they pointed and make contact with the eyes.

Dan