Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy spitting up after eating

Lump of Kohl
May 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
My 9month old long hair Chihuahua has spit up:yuck: after eating for his last two feedings. He gets fed twice a day, Solid Gold's Wee bits and a dab of Merricks wet for taste(he is a finicky eater). I say spit up and not vomit because its a very small amount(last night two pices of kibble, this morning about 8--wee bits kibble is super tiny, think button to hold down the collar on a mans shirt). Also the pieces are coming up WHOLE!:eek: Which is leading me to believe he is not chewing his food! He is not a chewer at all. Doesn't like greenies, chew toys, rawhide, crunchy treats, or furniture. The only thing I have been able to get him to chew on is this huge hambone(:p you should see him its too funny, the bone is bigger than his head) and fabric--I didn't give it to him it was his bedding-- when I first adopted him and he was having separation anxiety. I will call the vet but does anyone have any other ideas?:confused:

Oh I just opened the can of Merricks yesterday and I keep it in the fridge and he has been eating the Wee Bits for 2-3 months now.

Lucky Rescue
May 8th, 2006, 09:23 AM
For a dog that tiny, I would try dividing his food into 3 meals a day, so his stomach won't get so empty.

Also, for the canned food, are you warming it a bit before he eats it? If he eats quickly, gulping ice cold food could cause a little regurgitation.

I"m no vet and these are just suggestions, but of course if he continues to do this, a vet visit is a good idea.

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I agree with warming up his canned food a little before feeding it to him. It's much too hard on his stomach when fed cold straight out of the fridge.:pawprint:

Lump of Kohl
May 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I will try warming it but I use so little I don't think it will make a difference. He gets 1/4 cup dry with maybe a 1/2 tablespoon wet(just enough to give him some flavor). And he has been eating that way for over 2 months (I adopted him in January).

Is it okay that he is consuming his food whole and not chewing? He wolfs it down pretty fast. I was thinking to take him back to just dry as he paces himself with it much better(and chews) since he doesn't really want to eat it that way.

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
If he is eating too fast try putting a ball or kong in his dish with his food. That way he'll have to push it around to get at his food so it should slow him down.:D

OntarioGreys
May 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM
It is likely he is just eating to fast, use a small plate instead of a bowl and spread the kibble over the surface so he is not picking up mouthfuls at a time, the ball trick is more useful for larger amount feed,

Our own teeth have flat surface for grinding up food, a dogs teeth are designed for sawing thru larger chunks of meat and bone to make them just small enough to swallow, their stomach acids are stronger to break it down further faster, so yes it is normal to swallow kibble instead of chew it if of a size that is already swallowable

Lump of Kohl
May 8th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. He did fine this evening.