Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Told off by bird!!!!

erykah1310
May 8th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Went out to the petstore yesterday (accessorising for the dogs) my boyfriend and i saw the most beautiful bird ( no idea what kind but he talked, his name was Boomer apparently) We both stood infront of the cage talking with this bird, and falling in love!!! THEN!!! what started off as "get to know ya chat" he started telling us off!!!!! LOL
Although I myself would prolly still purchase this bird (if i knew more about htem and wanted one) what about people who are against " trucker talk"????
Its sad that this bird is so foul mouthed (excuse the pun)
I guess its a petstore thing, think of what that bird has heard!!!:eek:
Is it possible to "reteach" birds? Or will poor Boomer always be a " construction workers" kinda bird?????

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 01:11 PM
That's sad... I don't know if they can forget words or not...:fingerscr

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I don't know if they would forget words or not either. Maybe with the right owner that constantly taught him new words. And, of course never used any foul language at all.:eek: :D

Dog Dancer
May 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM
That's funny - and sad. Makes me think of friends of ours many, many years back who bought a farm and it came with a parrot that lived in the barn. That bird swore like a trucker! Our friend, being a farmer, didn't much care for that with many children around and unfortunately swiftly dispatched the bird. Sad for the parrot that the previous people didn't treat him better.

meggie1425
May 8th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Geez, what kinda employees are they hiring there?!:eek: that is kinda sad, but hey, maybe it will help prevent the bird from being sold to a family with young kids, because quit honestly, birds arnt good pets for kids anyways... Im pretty sure if the words he were saying arnt repeated around him, and he's constantly being taught new words he wont repeat those bad words as often... probably wont forget them though... What did the bird look like?

erykah1310
May 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM
He was all white with big feathers on his head! Not much of a tropical bird person, ask me about chickens and geese and ducks IM YOUR GURL! LOL

lpn169
May 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I'd still but him! :D

lpn169
May 14th, 2006, 03:36 AM
I'd still buy him! :D

meggie1425
May 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM
He was all white with big feathers on his head! Not much of a tropical bird person, ask me about chickens and geese and ducks IM YOUR GURL! LOL

Definetly some kind of Cockatoo...

Lucky Rescue
May 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Is it possible to "reteach" birds? Or will poor Boomer always be a " construction workers" kinda bird?????

Birds will say what interests them. They often learn profanity, since people usually say it in excited, high-pitched or loud voices, and that attracts birds.:p

Kinda like kids - always picking up what you don't want them to!

Lise
May 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Hawkeye and Oscar our greys seem to stop saying somethings for awhile and start doing new stuff.Right now they are sitting on their cages being a microwave beep talking to a smoke detector,loud but pretty funny.They also sit and yell out "out out" until I open their cages in the morning.Like Lucky said they pick up all kinds of things.I wouldn't not buy a bird just because it swore,but large parrots make lousy pets for kids,have very long life spans,are very loud ,destructive and form very deep bonds with the people around them before you even consider one make sure you are ready for a relationship that can last fifty or more years.Swearing is really a minor problem.I love my guys,but they are definately high maintenance.

glasslass
May 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM
A bachelor friend has a grey cockatiel. He (our friend) came down with a bad cold and cough. When he recovered, he discovered his bird was also ill. Turns out the bird wasn't sick but just mimicking the coughing and hacking noises! Too funny!

In a petstore, the resident parrot always got a laugh when it would call, "Here Kitty Kitty Kitty!"