Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Once a week issues (warning little long)

mafiaprincess
May 8th, 2006, 01:41 AM
A month ago Cider had bum licking issues. And it took me a week to figure out it was anal glands since it was brand new for me and her. Nothing but constant bum licking. Needed HW anyhow so I reschedueled her vet appointment for sooner we go, they get drained, weren't impacted, but mighty full, her personality improves almost imediately. She had been mopey.

She seems to have never known she had a bum before. Never licked it, never touched it. After this she licks it fairly often but not obsessively.

Few weeks ago she had a tummy bug, and would not settle down at night. Every two minutes pacing, bumping into me, crated her because I couldn't sleep, woke up too the poop crate from hell and felt like a tool for not knowing.

Week later, won't settle at night, bumps into me, royal pain in the butt, take her potty more times than should have been needed and she wasn't doing much.. no mess, think she was okay..

Last week, had a night of not settling at all, after 4 hours of shuffling around I crated her, woke to no issues..

Tonight.. won't settle, keeps putting her face on the keyboard, looks at her bum, paces around.. (she may be passing gas though I don't smell anything and it's reminding her of her bum tonight..)

I don't know. I don't think she's having a gland issue. We are almost done switching from wellness to wolf king, and her poops have become more solid than ever.. it's not obsessive licking... it's the once a week just not settling down.

We excercise, train and go out more than ever together.. she should be one exhausted pooch, but seems sad when we are chilling inddors.

Not sure if anyone can get anything out of my novel.. I mean it could be food and weather change for all I know. I'm not horribly concerned.. just some nights I'd like to sleep you know?

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Maybe it's the flax or something that she is allergic to or that is making her itchy in the Wolf King. It could also be that she's having a hard time with the solid stool, if she hasn't had them in a while (might be hard on her hiney)... That's all I can think of so far...:o

mafiaprincess
May 8th, 2006, 02:30 PM
And this morning the poop was a little on the soft side. *tear*

I did a doggie massage last night though. She wouldn't settle, and I rubbed her down for like 15 minutes.. She actually quieted down and went to bed finally.

It could be allergies. But whatever it is is in both wellness whitefish and the wolfking.. She was farting a lot before I figured out it was a gland issue and started switching her food slowly. Seems to act the same on both.. Only difference is she seems to like the wolfking kibble a little more. She kicks one ear with her foot some.. but her ear looks normal. Vet said it looked normal.

I just wish she wouldn't lick her butt so much. But I guess I'm now afraid anytime she does it that it's the warning signs to a gland issue.

Maybe I need to just not worry so freaking much..

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, Boo got the itchy anal glands a while back... I think it was too much flax (I was giving a supplement with flax too...).

jjgeonerd
May 8th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Gabby and Emma both had problems with Wellness (Lamb Super 5 and Whitefish) and Wolfking. Wolfking mainly gave them both bad gas :yuck: and a little softer stools...even after a couple months. Wellness gave Emma the same, but Gabby's stool was really runny...to the point I thought she had Giardia for the 3rd time. I switched them back to Nutro Ultra and they were back to normal in a week (after trying to get the others to work for 4 months or so).

I'm not sure what was in the Wellness and Wolfking, but it sure seemed like they were allergic to it...especially Gabby. Bummer because I really like the ingredients. :( The Nutro seems pretty good too though.

Hope you get it figured out. :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
May 8th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Guess I'll compare the ingredients after agility class..
We've been on iams, nutro, wysong, canidae, wellness, solid gold, eagle pack holistic.
We are still finishing off the old food the wellness ratio is really low though, so it hasn't been long enough to tell..
But no food have I had 'happy poop' and a bunch of them it was a chore to get her to eat. We are so active now that I can't afford for her not to eat.. as it is I'm feeding a little bit more than the normal daily intake for a lil dog, and I am wondering if she's loosing a little bit of weight, and if I need to fatten her up a little bit..
Man it could be so many things.. but a lot of them are trial an error rather than major issues, so it's a take time thing to 'fix' it.

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Unless she's getting worse, I'd try to stick with it for a couple of weeks... Just to be sure it isn't still the wellness...

mafiaprincess
May 8th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Oh we have 3/4 of a 15 pound bag to go. If she isn't getting worse, we can get through the bag or most of it before I decide what we do next..

I feel bad, I'm not sure is it's becoming OCD behaviour since the gland issue though. She became a compulsive foot biter last year, and I was 99% sure it wasn't allergies. We had to occupy her and not let her bite them and eventually she no longer did it. Started from boredom became compulsion..

So you never know.. I just feel liek a bad mom lately. How many problems can my furchild have...

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, no, you're not bad. Sometimes they just go through periods where everything goes wrong...:rolleyes:

mafiaprincess
May 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Read my scent hound thread in the training forum..
Between everything else lately including the bum licking, now we don't listen either... I feel liek an awful mom.. Cause I'm starting to get mad about it when I'm not upset about it..

mafiaprincess
May 9th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Oh oh oh, gave her a benadryl first time ever tonight. No itch, no scratch, no bum licking. *prays to the anal gland gods that it's hopefully not that then*
Not that it's a good permanent solution.. but it was an issue last summer.. so maybe enviromental..
Least she's comfy for now.
Yeeeees.

Prin
May 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Alleviating the itching prevents it from becoming a habit. It helps... even if it's temporary.