Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excessive night bowel movements?

pupartist
May 7th, 2006, 11:24 PM
our 4 month old pup (cocker/bichon) has us getting up twice a nite for his bowel movements. We have had him for 3 weeks, on a regular diet, same feeding times, (8 am and 5 pm) and he regularly has a movement within 2 hours of being put in his crate for the night. He has had 3 nights in the three weeks that he has made it all the way through the night. If I don't get up within a very short time of his "fussing", he will defacate in his crate. I ignore his "fussing" in the crate during the day until he calms down and I can tell the difference in his whining for an"outside break".There is no problem with diareaha, stools are normal. How can I "break" him of these overnite disturbances?...thanks for any suggestions - I need some sleep!!

technodoll
May 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
what are you feeding your pup? some dry foods cause enormous amounts of stool, usually the lesser-quality stuff, due to the high amount of fillers and indigestible stuff in there. it's not the dog's fault, when they gotta go, they gotta go... just a thought!

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I agree with Technodoll. Filler foods with a lot of digestive aids might speed up digestion of some parts and slow down the digestion of other parts of the food... Like the corn isn't digested at all, so it might come out quickly (can lead to yellow stool) but then the beet pulp sends the toxic chemical to stop the colon's action, slowing the rest down... In the daytime, when he's active, the colon is kept active (in my experience, doggies tend to digest quicker when they are walking or running), but at night, when he's calm, then the fillers and stool hardeners work harder.... Does that make sense?

I don't know if it would help but maybe if you feed say 2/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the evening instead of 1/2 and 1/2? Maybe more in the morning and less at night would be easier to digest.

Also, how much are you feeding? It could be that you're feeding way too much and the dog's body just can't handle it all in one shot.

OntarioGreys
May 8th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Feed him a bigger meal in the money and a smaller meal in the evening , if you can take him for a leash walk in the every, exercise helps to stimulate the bowels maybe this way he will have a poop shortly befopre bedtime, instead of ion the middle of the night

erykah1310
May 8th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Feed him a bigger meal in the money and a smaller meal in the evening
LOL got money on the brain this morning??? LOL One of those days isnt it!:D

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM
lol Something like "Put his money where his mouth is"?:D

OntarioGreys
May 8th, 2006, 05:24 PM
LOL got money on the brain this morning??? LOL One of those days isnt it!:D

:lol You can see you well my brain functions after being awake for 22 hours and having just finished off a midnight shift. :p