Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

walking dogs together

pamha
May 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
My daughter has been walking our 1 1/2 yo, spayed, chow/BC girl for some time, just up and down the sidewalk in front of our house so I can keep an eye on them. Lola is about 50 pounds and Cassie can easily control her when she needs to.

Today after their walk, a boy came over from across the street with a big black Labish looking dog and asked if she could come out with Lola. It looked like the dog was pulling him around, but with kids its hard to know if they can control a dog and are just running around for fun. This kid looks around her age, and though I`ve seen him around, I don`t know his parents or even which house he lives in (there are several large houses tri-plexed across the street). I didn`t even know there was a dog over there, so its either new or they`ve been keeping indoors or tied up in back. This is the first time she`s ever talked to this kid; because we`ve had problems with previous tenants in these houses, I don`t encourage my kids to get friendly with kids living there anymore.

I told her at the very least I would have to be outside with them to make sure the dogs get along and maybe we could try it another time. I`d like some advice to know what to look for to head off a potential problem if we try this or let me know if it sounds like a really stupid idea. If the kid really can`t control his dog, then I know its a bad idea. I was thinking of inviting them to play in our fenced yard, but this dog is big enough, if controling it will be a problem, I`m not sure even that is a good idea. It seemed friendly enough sniffing through the fence, but its so hard to tell. Lola is really skittish of new people but usually gets along with other dogs, she hasn`t been around any new ones in a while though.

I`m open for any advice/suggestions on how to handle the situation.
Thanks!

Prin
May 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't expect a kid to be able to handle a dog in public, and certainly not with other dogs. If you invite him over, basically they are all under your care. That to me is not the greatest idea being that you don't know the dog at all.

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Why don't you invite the other mother over too? The two of you can watch to see how the dogs interact while playing together. I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with the dogs since one is male and the other female but you never know so have a garden hose handy.:D

pamha
May 9th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Sometimes the simplest solution isn`t obvious at first. The kids took turns walking the dogs. They took his dog around the block first, then took her home and walked Lola.
Silly me, I don`t know why I didn`t think of that in the first place :o
I do need to meet his parents though if they are going to start spending time together, just glad I didn`t have to go over there today.
Thanks!