Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Depression

ODANGitsNikki
May 7th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Hi there.
I am not sure if this is in the right category for pets, but I think this affects my dog's health. About 6 years ago our dog Skippy was put to sleep due to a tumor. He and our other dog Oreo were companions. They played, slept, and did everything together. After Skippy was put to sleep, Oreo was sad for awhile, but soon returned to his happy self. 6 years later, I received a new puppy, Ritzie, for my birthday. Now Oreo is very depressed and every time Ritzie comes to play with him, Oreo runs away and shrieks. I am very concerned because I do not want to have to give Ritzie away, but I do not want Oreo to be depressed. Please, if someone can help me, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thank you,
Nikki

P.S. I am not sure if this will be helpful, but if the breeds of the dog have anything to do with the depression, here they are.

Skippy- American Eskimo
Oreo- Half American Eskimo, half Japanese Chin
Ritzie- Siberian Husky.

Once again, thank you.

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM
How old are they? Can I assume that Oreo is a senior and Ritzie is young?

It could be that Oreo is just a tired old doggy who wants some peace and quiet, or maybe he wanted you all to himself and now is not getting the attention he once was. I don't think it'll come to rehoming the new dog. I think you need to try to avoid encouraging Oreo's behavior, but also try to give him both one on one attention and peace and quiet throughout the day.

I think part of the solution here is acknowledging that Oreo was a single dog in the household and now has had his life and routine disrupted. Younger dogs can be quite disruptive for the older guys.

DRN
May 8th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I think I know a little how you feel, Nikki. We have a 6-year-old male cocker and a 6-month-old male cocker. We bought our new puppy because our older dog was inactive and lonely after his favorite person (our oldest son) left for college. The first month with the new puppy was a roller-coaster of emotion. Our dog alternated between fear of and resentment toward the puppy. He growled half the time and ran away the other half.

Since we've been through this before with another pair of dogs several years ago, I knew to be patient and to always put our older dog first (even if it seemed unfair from a human standpoint). So our older dog got his food first, was praised first, and so forth. This enabled the puppy to learn his place in the pecking order and let our older dog know that he was still top dog with us.

Things improved over time and now, 3 months after our puppy came home, I am delighted to say they are best friends. Our puppy was neutered last week and so he was gone for 24 hours. Our older dog seemed fine at first but he was listless all day. That night he actively hunted for the puppy and the next day, when I brought the puppy home from the vet, our older dog was obviously excited and happy. They have been inseparable since and even sleep together now although they didn't before.

I do want to mention that I don't know anything about your breeds and I also assumed they are both males. I don't know if your experience will be like mine, but as long as the dogs aren't biting or hurting each other, I suggest you consistently let your older dog know he's still number one and be patient.

OntarioGreys
May 8th, 2006, 08:00 AM
You did not say how long ago you got Ritzie, but like DRN it could be they simply need more time, Sunny used to mope when I first brought in foster dog after a month he would start to chipper up, but when they left to go to their new homes he would mope around for a couple of days, other dogs wills grump and snap at a new addition, it is part of the settleing in process and and part trying to figure where they now fit in the pack when a new addition it added also make some private time with just Oreo

rainbow
May 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I agree with everyone. Be patient...it will just take a little time and they'll soon be buddies.:pawprint:

SnowDancer
May 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
How old is Oreo? Even at just turned 2 my Eskimo is not as tolerant as he was of puppy behaviour even though he himself will be a "puppy" if he lives to be 17. Also how big is Oreo compared to Ritzie? My guy is a small standard and feels "short" compared to many of the other dogs at his weekly socialization - and well he is - and had a bit of a complex as the other dogs kept growing and he stopped, but has adjusted. It might be that Oreo is just a bit skittish with the new puppy and also the American Eskimo part might be a tad worried about being replaced - they are very protective of their place in the family. The lady who boards my Eskie has a Husky and they are as thick as thieves - my Eskie is his favourite guest. My Eskie is very suspicious of the Eskie who "lives" in the mirror and gives him a narrowed eyed look, particularly when he can see "his" toys being touched by this other dog. But when he wags his particularly tantalizing tail and sees the mirror dog doing same his attitude changes completely and he wants to play. Hope everything works out - I would just not leave them alone together yet.

ODANGitsNikki
May 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Sorry, I was just so concerned I left out all the important information. Oreo is 9 years old and Ritzie is only 3 months. Yes, they are both males and we received Ritzie for my birthday early April. Ritzie is not neutered yet but will be as soon as he turns 4 months.

Thank you though, for all the help you have given. I'll definetly try to follow oyur tips.

Nikki

sways_bodyguard
May 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
patience...
they will soon love eachother,

ccurley
May 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
We just introduced a 10 week old border collie/lab mix, Chester, to our 15 year old golden/something dark brown (humane society) dog Earl.

Earl has been jumped on, chewed on and snuggled constantly and hates every minute of it. He slept until 1:30 this afternoon. I fear he's become severely depressed.

As I have just read all of the above advice I am going to shift my attentions from Chester to Earl. We thought we were treating them equally but because of Chester's newness and activity level I see we've been focusing on him first and Earl second.

I feel terrible and hope that I can bring Earl out of this.

Thanks for listening and any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

ccurley