Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Joey ate a raw steak

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I was bringing groceries in today - and I discovered a few moments after that Joey got into one of the bags and ate a raw steak. Top sirloin that is. I know a lot of people feed their dogs raw meat, he seems ok right now should I be worried. :eek:

technodoll
May 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM
the only thing you should be worried about is if Joey will ever want kibble again after tasting succulent raw steak :D

on a serious note, were there any bones and did he eat them? cut bones (from a butcher's saw) are sharp and not a natural shape, it could cause problems in a dog's tummy if not crushed into smaller pieces first. if no bones were eaten, relaaaax... joey had a good time and tomorrow his poop might be a bit darker and more runny than on kibble, eating meat does that unless balanced by bones.
:crazy:

Melei'sMom
May 7th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Melei ate some sirlion today too. only difference is that she was given it on purpose;) I wouldn't worry, raw meat is good for them. Melei has been eating raw for awhile now and has no problems.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 7th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I am not sure about bones - I ended up taking the other part away from him and I threw it in the garbage. In the other steaks that I saved there is a bone but it is fairly large about 8 inches long - it would have taken Joey a long time to eat it if he did get it - as he doesnt have many teeth. I am just going to go check the garbage to see if the bone part is in there. So far he seems ok. :confused:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 7th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Just checked the garbage there was a bone in the meat I threw out. I am going to keep an eye on him and check his poop if he happens to want to go. Also try to put a call into the vet.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 7th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Called the vets answering service - they said if Joey seem imobilised or in pain to give them a call - so far he seems like his usual self.

Prin
May 7th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Well, I guess I'm too late, but as Technodoll said, as long as he's not digesting raw and kibble at the same time, he should be ok. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 8th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Let Joey sleep with me all night - nothing seems out of the ordinary hopefully we are in the clear now. ;)

happycats
May 8th, 2006, 12:47 PM
LOL :D sorry I know it's not funny, but my steaks are so rare the are practically raw!! I've been eating them that way since I was a child (I used to bite pieces off raw steaks when no one was looking:eek: ), and have not been sick yet!

I hope Joey enjoyed his meal:p

OntarioGreys
May 8th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Lucky dog!!!!

Sunny is my grocery thief though he is quite happy stealing a loaf of fresh baked bread :rolleyes:

SchnauzerGirl
May 8th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I'll second that, Joey is a lucky dog! Hopefully he will go back to kibble after eating raw...

Schultz has been eating raw stuff for four months now and I will never be able to get him to go back to kibble, nor would I want to!

BoxerRescueMTL
May 8th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Go Joey!! heehee