Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's happened twice

belindaloo
May 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Hello all,

My dog (3 yr. Westie male) is fed a raw meat diet. Occasionally he will get a bone to chew on. In the process of chewing on the bone, he gets the cartilage off the end. (it is usually a sheep leg bone).

Two times now (of the dozens of times he's had these bones as a treat) he has developed vomiting and cramping some hours afterwards. The first time, because the pain was so acute, I took him to the vet and asked for an xray. He didn't give an xray but gave him medicine (Primaprid?) to help stop this cramping pains. THis medicine made Honey worse! A few hours after this he suddenly became better. I took him to a vet afterwards, then to a specialist (who finally took
The second time (which is now) he had a bone on Friday and Sunday he was sick... vomiting, drinking water, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping... this was a long time after having that bone.
I will take him to the vet in the morning and ask for a xray to see if the cartilage is stuck someplace in his intestine. My dog is very uncomfortable now but I think we just have to wait until it will pass. He has no fever. In about 6 hours I can take him to the vet. Right now it is 3 in the morning.

Does anyone else have experience with this situation?

jesse's mommy
May 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Honestly, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean, but I would start with not giving your dog those bones anymore. As for the vet, I would take your dog as soon as possible. If there was an emergency vet, I would consider taking the trip. I hope things go alright. :fingerscr

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 12:51 AM
I agree- I'd never give those bones again... And I'd head to the vet to get something to make my doggy less uncomfortable. Good luck!:fingerscr

belindaloo
May 8th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Hello again,

:thumbs up The bone/cartilage bit passed through at 04.00 in the morning (I wrote at 3 a.m., I think). Just some more diarrhea after that and now Honey is resting.
Certainly I considered waking the vet in the night again but I know the mentality here is "wait and see". I would not have gotten an xray until this morning anyways. They could have given Honey something for the cramps (which he 'needed' to work the bone bit through) or pain... but I am very reluctant to allow medicines into my dog's system as per his sensitivity to medicines in the past. (i.e. his 'allergy' like symptoms were a result of vaccinosis, and the primaprid last time made him worse).
I will fast him for a day or two and consult my vet.
Yes, the bones are out of the question now.
Still, I'm curious if others have had similar experiences.
Thanks for your support!
Blessings,

belindaloo
May 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Hello again,
Just to let you know that Honey is fine. He's still on a bland diet of rabbit broth and bits but doing well. He has rested alot since that bone incident and his energy is perking up significantly today.

jesse's mommy
May 9th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I'm glad to hear things are fine!