Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lick, Lick, Lick is there a way to tone it down?

happyhappy1
May 7th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Hi, picked up my Lab. Very nice, except perhaps a bit jumpy (normal I know) and very licky. How do you tone down the licking? Ignore it? I have three small children, and my hubby is grossed out by the hygine aspect of it. I have been having them stand still my she does it, hands cupped, and I tell her easy. Thanks.

mafiaprincess
May 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
You might find this article useful http://www.perfectpaws.com/lick.html

It's a behaviour that was taught inadvertently by the previous owners, and it is something you can teach to stop. But you need to be somewhat tolerant while unteaching it, pushing away won't stop it and may encourage a dog to try harder since it is a sign of affection.

jesse's mommy
May 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I just warn people of the tongue on four legs before they walk into the house. :D

phoenix
May 7th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Me too Jesse's mommy!
I actually warn them of Maia's tendency for French Kissing (ew)... she has a knack for getting that tongue in as soon as someone opens their mouth!

mafiaprincess
May 7th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I have been frenched by Cider.. I yawn.. I cough so she tries to 'save' me by shoving her tongue in my mouth..

BMDLuver
May 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I have been frenched by Cider.. I yawn.. I cough so she tries to 'save' me by shoving her tongue in my mouth..
lmao, that was waaaaaayyyyyyyy more information than we needed! :D

mafiaprincess
May 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM
LOL, yes but as fellow dog lovers, you all understand. The non dog peopel just think you have huge issues, lol. :o

DRN
May 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I like affectionate dogs but I don't want to be licked, even by my own dogs. However, dogs like to lick and some will lick no matter what you do.

Here is what worked with our dogs: Every time your dog licks you or acts like he is going to lick you, put both hands around his muzzle as if you were holding a bottle. Do it gently but firm enough to keep the mouth closed with the tongue inside. Then kiss (or, if you prefer, air kiss) the dog's muzzle/mouth and say the words "kiss, don't lick". It takes a few weeks but it works, and ultimately words alone are enough and you won't have to hold the dog's muzzle.