Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartworm Test

K9Friend
May 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Do you get your dog tested for Heartworm yearly or every other year?

Kerri N Lynch
May 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
My Vets tests every other year .

LibbyP
May 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
We do every other year, when I was younger our family dog was NEVER checked and she lived till she was 17 (shep x), I have also talked with several reputable breeders (in the USA & ON) that do not do heartworm or vacc. every year.

BusterBoo
May 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM
We get Revolution every year, but blood tests are only done every second year.

Lucky Rescue
May 7th, 2006, 06:02 PM
when I was younger our family dog was NEVER checked and she lived till she was 17 (shep x),

Yes, and my father in law has been smoking for 80 years and is now 96 and still healthy. However I doubt doctors would recommend smoking as a key to longevity.;)

mummummum
May 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Every year. We do alot of camping and we're out in the bush every weekend as soon as the mudswamps have dried up enough.

doggy lover
May 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Vet does it every other.

twodogsandacat
May 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
We get Revolution every year, but blood tests are only done every second year.

That's pretty much the same schedule we were on. One dog a year.

Every year. We do alot of camping and we're out in the bush every weekend as soon as the mudswamps have dried up enough.

This spring we have spent a lot of time in bush and swamplands. So both dogs were tested last week.

BTW: I found a tick about two weeks ago. Once again I got sucked in and had it in my hand staring at it before I realized what it was. Gross.

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I get them tested every other year, but they're both on Heartguard every summer.:)