Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello! I am new here!

samantha_mosher
May 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Hello all! I am new here and i am also the new owner of a 2 year old Jack Russel Terrier. I have 3 small children ages 7, 5, and 4. I am going to be searching and posing in the forums to find ways to help make my dog a safe fun and friendly pet. I have recently had problems with my dog bitting or snaping at my kids and would like to find ways to prevent this.

Coopersmum
May 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Hi there!
Welcome! I am also new here and also have a 2 year old JRT. :thumbs up
I foster for a JRT rescue here, and have had issues with my current foster for biting etc. (He's recently blind though, so a bit of a different case.)

Cooper, my Jack, was a little fiesty in the beggining,,,,didn't like new dogs or kids. Fostering changed him completely and he now is far more socialized. Shares his food, water, toys, beds, mommy...everything. I guess it came down to exposing him to other dogs and so on. I What kind of biting/snapping is he doing? Rough play or actual agression? Warning them? WHat situations seem to trigger it?
Jack are known for not putting up with kids "being kids" . Not always as docile as some other breeds. How are the kids with the dog? How do they play with him? How does he react to them? (Fear? nervous?) When did it start?

Happy to help if I can help...