Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

After a nail cutting oops..

mafiaprincess
May 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM
So today was 'grooming day', Cider needs the fur cut under her paws.. if I don't she runs like a cartoon dog with no traction and takes out furniture with her butt. We had a good day doing it.. had a bath, and then I went to cut her clean nails. She was good for the first, third and fourth paw.. Freaked at the second paw.. I saw after the fact I nicked the quick.. second time in a year I've done that.. but I guess that isn't bad considering how often I cut them.

It's been corn starched and later peroxided to hopefully keep it clean..

I was wondering how long we should be gentle to keep it from opening up, causing more pain, etc..

It was so long ago last time.. I barely remember it.. but I think we didn't do much excercise then. I'm afraid to walk her tonight for fear of pain and blood.. help?

Lucky Rescue
May 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Don't worry about it. I know that when I've done this, I've been permanently traumatized, but my dog got over it in about 2 minutes.:p

mafiaprincess
May 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
LOL, true enough. I'm the one cursing myself and she seems fine now.

Prin
May 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't worry. In the winter it's more of a worry both because of the salt and the temperature. When they're outside in the cold, their feets fill with blood to warm them up, which is fine because the scab sort of freezes, but the minute they warm up, they bleed like madness.

In the warmth, it shouldn't be so bad.:)