Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

anal gland yeast infection?

raingirl
May 6th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? Is it possible?

We just finished round 2 of some stronger anti-biotics for Odin's infected anal glands (the first time it was one week, this time it was 2 weeks at about 1 1/2 times the strength). Meds stopped tuesday, he started scooting again right away...well, he never really stopped while on the meds.

The vet wants to sedate him to completely flush the glands and take a culture to see what we are dealing with.

I was wondering though, could it be possible that it's not a bacterial infection, and maybe a yeast infection in the glands? Maybe a round of anti-fungals first might be a better option?

Luba
May 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Ahh poor Odin!

The vet hasn't done a swab yet? That's odd, stupid too since the a/b may be a waste of time and cause more gi problems.

Until things are straightened out, run off to the store and buy some 'plain' yogurt. Give him 2 large tablespoons of yogurt each day.

If he doesn't like the flavour, add a little meat to it, this will increase the healthy bacteria in his gi tract and replace also what the a/b are killing (the good bacteria).

raingirl
May 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM
He already gets yogurt all the time, but that's for the suggestion. He loves it actually!!

For the swab and cleaning it out it is going to be like $400.00, so I was trying to think of other options in the meantime since we are broke.

rainbow
May 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Have you asked your vet about payment options?:pawprint:

DRN
May 7th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Before you spend $400, you might ask your vet to prescribe a trial course of an antifungal or another class of antibiotics.

As you indicate, your pet may have a fungal infection. Or your pet might have a bacterial infection but he's not responding because he isn't on the appropriate antibiotic. Some vets insist on cultures but others prefer the trial-and-error approach, especially when it is difficult to culture the infection site. Your vet might be willing to try new meds like an antifungal or another class of antibiotic, or your vet may have a good reason why s/he needs a culture. I would ask.

DRN
May 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Also, rather than cleaning and culturing, I would ask the vet about removing the anal glands. I had two cockers with chronic anal gland problems, something that is fairly common in the breed. We were able to handle it with regular vet visits to express the glands but I think anal glands can get so contaminated that it's hard to keep them from getting reinfected.

Or it may be that your dog's immune system is stressed and he can't handle germs as well, and it's manifesting as an anal gland infection. Has your vet done basic blood tests recently?

Prin
May 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Knowing Odin, I'd ask how much the surgery is to have them removed. Seems to me these little "installments" cost more than the one-shot surgery fee... And then he can sleep in the bed with you...:D ;)

If not, you might just need a stronger antibiotic. Could be that the tough bacteria survived and flourished when the others succumbed to the first antibiotic.