Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Treats for Dogs with Chronic Kidney Disease

Becky J
May 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
My parents dog (Daisy) was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease only last week. She is a four year old Golden Retriever who has always been full of life and loves nothing more than swimming in the sea. The only symptoms she has had are occasional vomiting and she has been off her food. She was admitted to the vets for 3 days last week and put on a drip and is now on a prescription diet food.

Daisy is given a dog treat every night at 9pm, she waits by the cupboard door for it, I'm sure she can tell the time. Also, she has a couple of dog biscuits before bed, but now she is unwell we have stopped giving her anything. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything she would be allowed to have with her condition, so that she can be rewarded for being a good girl.

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Check with your vet, here they do have prescription dog treats but Medi-cal brand is sold only here in Canada but is called IVD in the US.

I am not sure is Hill's has a prescription treat.

Becky J
May 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you. The prescription food she is on is Hills, so I'll get my folks to ask the vet. I've also heard they can have things like rice, eggs and bacon, do you know if this is right?

SnowDancer
May 6th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Hill's is now making a dog cookie - not sure though if it would be suitable for Daisy's condition. My vet carries them. I know what you mean about waiting for the nightly cookie - my dog is on a diet and no way is he going to bed without it. There is a woman in Toronto whose dog developed serious and life long kidney disease as a result of contracting - and suriviving - lepto. She feeds him a vegetable biscuit made by Northern Biscuit. Can't have a meat based cookie.

Toonces
May 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM
If you like to make your own treats here is a good one for dogs with kidney problems

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
6 Tblsps. low sodium, low fat chicken broth
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup cooked vegetable (green beans, carrots or mixed)

combine flour and garlic powder. mix in chicken broth and vegetable(s).
add enough cold water to form a ball. pat dough to 1/2" and cut with a
dog biscuit cutter, cookie cutter or knife. place on a non-stick cookie
sheet & bake in a preheated oven @ 350F for 25 minutes. cool on a wire
rack. Since there are no preservatives, i recommend storing them in the
refrigerator if they are not eaten within a week. they can also be made
ahead and frozen.

Here is a link to the site it has lots of good info.
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Falls/9065/