Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nocturnal dog - any suggestions?

coppperbelle
May 6th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Last week I picked up a dog that had been rescued from a puppy mill. She had never lived in a house but is learning quickly. She is very anxious and nervous of new things but adapting well. The problem is the night times. She is up often during the night pacing and wanting attention. Needless to say I am very tired as she is waking me up. Yesterday she was awake all day so I thought she would sleep last night. She was up at least 5 times during the night.
She is 17 months old and does not have an excessive need for exercise as many goldens do. I play with her but can't walk her because she came into heat the day after I got her. She won't chase a ball and is just learning how to play by carrying things around. Sometimes she will rip apart a toy but that is the extent of her playing at this point. She doesn't play with my dogs yet either.
She sleeps in my bedroom so she is not alone. Maybe I should take a sleeping pill so I don't hear her at night. :D

Frenchy
May 6th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Same thing here with foster Wendy,I call her my little night prowler!Things gets move from the living room (she only goes there if I'm asleep) to the kitchen.And she whines for me to get up in the week end mornings...there must be a logical explanation to all this.

coppperbelle
May 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I guess it has something to do with the way they use to live. The first few days were okay but it is getting worse. Last night she was up at least 5 or 6times. I am exhausted because I wake up everytime she moves around.

MIA
May 6th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I had a rescue that was so insecure it took a good four weeks before he would sleep through the night, I couldn't crate him as he would scream so I made up a bed near me and he would switch between the dog bed and mine, it was hell and I barely slept but eventually he simply calmed down. I closed the bedroom door to make it a giant safe place for him and that seemed to help.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM
What I did with the puppies when I had them was follow a strict routine before going to bed so they saw it coming. I'd brush my teeth and then crawl into bed with my newspaper. I'd read a bit and then tell them "Go to sleep" and shut off the light. After about a week, they stopped bugging me when I picked up the paper... Maybe they just needed to know what was coming?

(Oh, if they ever woke up in the night, I'd just say go to sleep and ignore them...)

DRN
May 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
We had this happen with our older dog after he had been kenneled at the vet's for several days for a medical procedure. He ended up with confused sleep/wake rhythms, much like we humans get when we have jet lag. His prime get-up-and-go time was 2-4 AM, and it was impossible to get him back in sync.

Our vet suggested 1-3 mg of melatonin (depending on weight) given an hour before bedtime. We only had to do it 1 night and our dog was back on schedule. I really don't like to use medicines or herbs on my pets so I think you should only do this if your vet approves. There could be a medical reason for your dog's behavior, which is another reason to check with the vet first.

SnowDancer
May 7th, 2006, 04:25 PM
My Eskimo sleeps like a log throughout the night, but moves about in his sleep 4 or 5 times without really waking up - I guess just like some people who actually sleep - unlike me. While he is very light on his feet when awake - all 24 pounds of him can sneak off the bed while we are watching TV if he hears the dulcet sounds of the cat litter - but when asleep it is as if he weighs 10 tons. He has a tendency to sleep on the floor when my husband is home - or at edge of bed because husband kicks and moves about more than the dog - and husband doesn't wake up either - just the dog and me. After all, a dog needs his rest.