Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is vomiting 2 days after neutering ...

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this website and I read the rules about emergency care. I wish we had an emergency night clinic in our town because I would go tonight, but I did talk to our vet and I am taking our dog (a 6 month male English cocker spaniel) to the vet tomorrow morning.

Our puppy got bronchitis from the vaccine at 2 months and he also had a bacterial eye infection (not fungal or allergies) that lasted for 2-3 months, but otherwise he has been healthy. We thought his eye infection had resolved so we scheduled him to be neutered and this was done 2 days ago. The surgery went well but he did have green mucous in his eyes when I picked him up at the vet's office. Our vet prescribed another round of antibiotic eyedrops and we started them yesterday.

Since we picked him up, our puppy has been active, eating well, drinking water (and urinating normally), and even playing. We have tried to keep him calm but he's very lively and so he has been more active than I would like.

This evening, about 36 hours after his surgery, he started vomiting. He vomited 2-3 cups of stomach material until he had the dry heaves. He had one small episode of diarrhea yesterday but has had normal bowel movements today.

Our vet strongly believes that he reacquired his eye infection and is vomiting due to the stress of his recent surgery. I suspect he is right and I'm not overly concerned although it also helps that the vet is checking our puppy tomorrow. Nevertheless, I would appreciate any information you can share with me. It's one thing to know what's happening, it's another to understand why it's happening and that's what I'm interested in. So here are my questions:

1. Why would an otherwise healthy puppy have a recurring bacterial eye infection? I've owned several cockers through the years and I know they have eye problems, but I've never had one that developed a chronic problem and I feel like I'm missing something.

2. How common is it for puppies to develop stress reactions like vomiting and diarrhea after spaying/neutering? What other causes could there be, and how do you decide whether it's an emergency or not?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM
1. I'm not sure, but to me it could have something to do with the eyelids. If the eyelids are saggy, stuff might get inside (I've seen some cockers with saggy eyelids...)... Otherwise, maybe it's an overall sinus issue that shows most in the eyes? (not sure)

2. My dogs get diarrhea maybe in the 12 hours after seeing the vet. 36 hours is quite a while after in my opinion, and is not normal or due to stress (unless he is super stressed, which doesn't sound like the case in your description of his activity level, etc).... JMO, but maybe you need to research side effects of anaesthetic. Did you get the pre-op blood tests for kidneys, etc?

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Prin, thank you for your response. I think you have expressed what I felt but was unable to articulate. You are right - Our puppy doesn't seem stressed and his vomiting came as a surprise because he seemed normal for 30+ hours after his surgery. I'm going to make this point clearly with our vet tomorrow so we can consider other causes.

We did have blood drawn - it is a panel that is supposed to test many aspects of our puppy's health - but I have not been told any results yet. I'm glad you mentioned this because I will also be sure to ask my vet tomorrow.

Last, your comment regarding the eyelid makes sense to me, especially since cocker's eyelids are so droopy.

Thanks again.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Good luck! If it gets any worse, I'd get a full blood work up to rule out kidney trouble. The anaesthetic can be really hard on them.:fingerscr

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Anesthesia drugs can take a while to leave the body, when your vet says stress he may be referring to chemical stress rather than physical
for example barbituates are sometimes used as part of the anesthesia protocol , in human drug screening using a urine testing it can be detected up to 21 days after use

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Thank you, Prin and OntarioGreys, for your input and for listening. Our vet believes our puppy is suffering because his incision is swelling inside and it makes it hard for him to urinate (or he could be reluctant to pee, because it hurts). We don't know if his vomiting is due to pain or the anesthesia, but the good news is he's being treated and seems to feel better already.

Thanks for being such nice Canadian neighbors.

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Also, regarding his eyes, we saw a different vet than usual - on the weekend, our regular vet is off - and this vet said it looks like a problem that happens to basset hounds' eyes. He said it's like they don't have eyelids because the lower lid is so droopy. Debris catches in the lower lid and becomes infected since there aren't enough tears generated to flush it and the upper lid doesn't close all the way. So we're going to flush his eyes daily to wash out debris and hopefully prevent further infections.

All in all, a very good day. Thanks again.

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Oops. I submitted my reply before the most important part:

Great job, Prin. You identified the eye problem over the internet!

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I apologize for posting so many times in a row but I need to clarify one thing: Our puppy's difficulty in urinating developed late last night and continued until our morning appointment. At the time I originally posted, he wasn't having that problem.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
:o I'm glad everything was sorted out. Your new vet sounds great!:)