Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog on dog aggression

erykah1310
May 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, i have a few questions about dogs who are aggressive with other dogs, mine arent with the slight exeption of Meiko but he soon gets over it and accepts the other dog.
But not talking about his aggression, what is that makes some dogs have such aggression? Not enough socialization? Owner?
I know of a dog who likes some dogs but literally wants to KILL others!!! Whats the deal here?

mafiaprincess
May 5th, 2006, 05:39 PM
It is in some breeds nature. It's why with the exception of a few, pit bulls don't usually belong or thrive in dog parks. It's in their standard to be agressive.
Some dogs if not neutered are more prone to defending themselves, territory etc and can be somewhat agressive.
It can also have a lot to do with the sexes of both dogs involved, their status as to being altered or not, and even sizes... Some dogs just don't like dogs bigger or smaller than them, and act out against ones that fit into the not liked size group.

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 12:08 AM
As mentioned there are some breeds that animals aggressive.

Lack of socialization another problem and probably one of the number one problems, many pet dogs are seperated from the litter earliy some as young as 4 weeks and then placed as an only dog in a family with little to no exposure to other dogs, as a result they lack dog communication skills later when they do meet other dogs they do not know how to greet another dog properly and chances are they are going to get corrected sometimes quite harshly for their poor dog ettiquette, sadly they don't understand why they got rounded out by the other dog, so become fearful the next time they meet another dog they go on the defensive. Ideally a pup should stay will the litter till 12 weeks. This article "He just wants to say hi" is a good example http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Some dogs have high preydrives and may view smaller dogs as prey.

same sex really is not as much an issue as having 2 equally dominant dogs of the same sex, In a pack you can have an alpha male and alpha female, but you can't have two alpha females in same pack with out fighting, but if you have one alpha female you can "sometimes" get away with 2 alpha males, only because the female will be the most dominant and she will lay down the law with the males, if you remove the female, fighting then may occur between the males, you can have several females in your pack and have them get along as long as there is only one alpha type personality, the same basically holds true with males. I have had my 2 females , 2 foster females and 2 visiting females in the house at the same time, (4 female greyhounds, a pitbull and an eskie and my 1 male greyhound) they all got along as their was only 1 dominant one female in the bunch.

Another reason that fighting/squabbling can occur when the pack changes with the addition or loss of one of the members, as the dogs may now have confusion as to where they fit in to the pack. This is usually is reworked out within few days or possibly a few weeks and then things settle down again,

Humans unintentionally supporting the lower ranking dog, some people that have multiple dogs may feel sorry for the dog in their pack that constantly get pushed out of the way by the other dogs, if they start gving it too much attention they can cause pack problems and the senior ranking dogs may take great offence and may lash out and try to punish the junior ranking member for social climbing.

If you walk you dog along the same route daily they may tend to see this as their own territory, and will try to protect if they see another dog on what they now feel is their territory. this is called territorial aggression

There a several different forms and reasons for agression
http://www.doggiesparadise.com/aggressive.shtml

With the majority the aggressiveness is behavioural and behaviour modification is possible to correct the behaviour in a small percentage the aggressiveness is mental deficit(which can be genetic, birth defect or caused by brain damage cause by accident, seizure, stroke or hormonal imbalance in some cases medications can prove helpful for some their is no cure

I know of a dog who likes some dogs but literally wants to KILL others!!! Whats the deal here?
It could be due to a lack of socializations or dominance aggression , he may feel certain dogs are a threat

DRN
May 6th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Sometimes the male runt of the litter will be overly timid or aggressive. I've owned three, and they all had socialization problems and were more likely to show inappropriate aggression.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Sometimes the male runt of the litter will be overly timid or aggressive. I've owned three, and they all had socialization problems and were more likely to show inappropriate aggression.
Female too. Our lab was a runt and she wanted to kill any dog she saw. She was vicious. She was also attacked as a puppy by her mother (attempt to kill her) and was removed from the litter too early as a consequence (around 4 or 5 weeks). We had a dobie at the same time and she was raised with the dobie and tolerated him, but nobody else.

We used to joke when I was younger because the only toys she ever killed were the dog-shaped ones- she hated dogs so much, she even had to kill the plastic and stuffed ones.:D

mummummum
May 6th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Bridie has become aggressive towards other dogs mainly when she is out with Ceili. She wasn't always like this - it developed over time and I put it down to having been attacked multiple times by two pairs of neighbourhood psycho-dogs=psycho-owners. Bridie now goes on the offensive from the get-go and she is clearly protecting Ceili.

The only other dog she gets snarly-faced about is one who FOUR YEARS AGO had the temerity to steal her bal and FOUR YEARS LATER. we're still crossing the street when we see Timmy coming... Clearly, forgiveness is not a life value high on Bridie's list.

meb999
May 6th, 2006, 09:16 AM
This article "He just wants to say hi" is a good example http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

That's a really good article!!

Buster's got agression issues. At first I thought I could 'cure' him, but now (and I know alot of people will disagree), after trying really hard to socialize him and to train him, I just stay away from dog-on-dog confrontation situations . Buster doesn't go to the dog park anymore, and he's only allowed to come to parties and BBQs with us if there's no other dog there or if it's a dog we know well and whom we know is submissive. I think some dogs just don't like other dogs. If you are afarid of spiders, and HATE them with every fiber of your being, would I be able to train you to have a pet spider? And love it and be gentle with it? Not likely.

I'm not saying Buster is a bad dog...far from it. He wasn't socialized as a pup, plus he was found as a stray, so God knows what kind of terrible dog-on-dog experience he's had.

Some dogs just don't like dogs bigger or smaller than them, and act out against ones that fit into the not liked size group.

Buster hates Golden Retrievers. He HATES them. Especially a submissive one. We have friends who have Golden Retrievers and they told us to bring Buster over for a play date (before I knew about his hatred for Goldens). Knowing that they have a REALLy submissive female, I thought it would be ok. Man was I wrong. Luckily Buster doesn't bite when he gets pissy with a dog (just pushes him down and stands over him). But the more the female showed signs of submissive behavior, then more Buster wanted to go after her.

He's a bully. He's my bully, and I wouldn't change him for the world.

erykah1310
May 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Thankyou for the very informative resposes everyone
The articles are great!!!:thumbs up

Rasta Shasta
June 23rd, 2006, 08:33 PM
My Collie/shepard, 2 years old, used to be very good around other dogs. Meeting new freinds was just part of the day at the park. Until she spent some time with my mother's overly dominate lab who started to fight with her. Since Shasta is stronger she won a few times. We were all happy to see them work it out in a pack formal environment, using instint and natural dominace to resolve the issue, but matters have recently gotten worse for Shasta.
We take her to an off leash park where there are many other dogs, to swim and fetch. (like we always do) but the past two times she has bittin and hurt another dog. The first time she was trying to fetch a ball for me and another dog kept bugging her following her until, Shasta just had enough. I would have just chalked this up to getting bugged too much but, it happened again with a different dog just recently. My fiance and I now think that she has changed somehow. maybe because of my mother's lab???
What do we do? She needs her exercise but we can't have this kind of behaviour.
:pawprint: :sorry:

Prin
June 23rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
From my experience in dog parks, balls are a no-no. Whoever has the ball is the alpha dog of the park, so snarls, brawls and all-out fights can ensue while they are trying to get possession of it. At our park, if there are more than a couple of dogs or if there are any that are slightly possessive, there are no balls allowed.

Oh and if your dog is getting harrassed, you really need to get her out of there BEFORE she has reached her limit. It's not fun for her, and it can be extremely upsetting. So many dogs I know can end up with diarrhea for a few days because they end up so upset by the bugging and bullying. You really have to protect her from those situations.