Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is listless, and has a green drip from nose

stormsnova
December 28th, 2003, 11:37 PM
I just bought a dog from the local animal shelter, he seemed fine, after getting him home, he has become listless, and has a light colored green drip coming from his nose, also, he cannot seem to bark, and when i pat his side he coughs, however, this is about the only time he coughs, could you please help me with what could be wrong shes a beautiful golden retriver and we dont want to lose her.

Thank you

Lucky Rescue
December 29th, 2003, 12:45 AM
This dog needs a vet ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luba
December 29th, 2003, 01:53 AM
YES VET ASAP!!!

Call the shelter as well, they need to know incase other animals have been infected!!

Carina
December 29th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Luba
YES VET ASAP!!!

Call the shelter as well, they need to know incase other animals have been infected!!

Ditto!!!
Please let us know how she is doing. You can get a low cost vet referral from the shelter if you don't have a regular vet, call the shelter then right away make an appointment for her, if you haven't already!

mona_b
December 29th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I definately agree with all the posts.

Now my question is,do these shelters not vet check these animals before they go?I have been hearing so much about people bringing them home from there and they are sick.I must say our shelter is amazing when it comes to that.

stormsnova
December 30th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I made an appt first thing this morning, took her in, and the vet said she is a he, and that he has distemper, and though he could do some treatment, the dog was so far along that he probably wont survive. also, that i shouldnt get another dog, because he could catch it just from being around the locations this dog was. So, now i lost my first dog here at my new home, and i cant get another one for six months. what kinda BS is that? the shelter offered to refund only half of the money i paid for the dog, so, now im cleaning and disinfecting the place i made for him to sleep at. so maybe sometime in the oh so distant future, i can have another pet for my daughter and I. Thank you so much for your quick and caring responses. It is greatly appreciated.

God bless you, Norman and Valerie

stormsnova
December 30th, 2003, 01:31 AM
The shelter made no effort to check the other dogs for distemper, its as if they didnt care, they just want people to buy the animals, and if they dont want them, hey, they only have to return half the money, this is a shelter in apple valley Ca, on Zuni Ave. DONT GO THERE

Luba
December 30th, 2003, 01:47 AM
OH my dear that is awful!
I am so sorry this happened to you and the doggie

big hugs
(X)

You SHOULD call and complain to the city services area that runs the shelters and get a FULL refund of your money!! And the cost of any vet bill.

If they don't do it...go see your elected officials office for your municipality.

It's a disgrace!!

What a negative experience but hopefully someone will learn something out of this!

God Bless the dogs soul and you

Please read this:
It is important to disinfect contaminated areas by cleaning food and water bowls and other contaminated items with a mixture of one cup of chlorine bleach to a gallon of water.

Transmission
Infected dogs shed the virus through bodily secretions and excretions, especially respiratory secretions. The primary mode of transmission is airborne viral particles that dogs breathe in. Dogs in recovery may continue to shed the virus for several weeks after symptoms disappear, but they no longer shed the virus once they are fully recovered.

It is possible for humans to contract an asymptomatic (subclinical) CDV infection. Anyone who’s been immunized against measles (a related virus) is protected against CDV as well.

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Infect_Dis_Carmichael/appel/chapter_frm.asp

mona_b
December 30th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Oh no.I'm so very sorry.You should not have had to go through that.I agree with Luba.Call and complain to the city services.Something has got to be done.The shelter has got to give you back all the money.It is their fault that this happened.They gave you a sick dog.What really pisses me off is that these local shelters are not having the animals checked by vets before they are adopted out.That is just so flipping wrong.I must say that our spca here in Hamilton is excellent.All the animals are vet checked,microchipped and fixed before they are adopted.And they only euthinize if an animal is very sick.And if foe any reason you have to bring the animal back,you get back your money.

Once again,I am so very sorry for your loss.

Lucky Rescue
December 30th, 2003, 11:43 AM
This is so very sad, and what this shelter is doing is disgusting and outrageous and they shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.
I'm sorry this happened to you, and to that poor dog too.:(

Carina
December 30th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Ohh...I am so sorry for you & your family, & the poor dog too.

That sounds like an awful shelter, is it a city or county run place, or private?
Whe you are ready for another family dog, check around for rescue organizations, or petfinder on the internet. If you go through rescue - or any decent shelter - you will most likely get a healthy dog, and be handing over a fee to someone who actually cares.

(((Norman and Valerie)))