Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

K9 Weight Loss Strategies: What works for your dog?

K9Guy
May 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
My dog is overweight and getting bigger... any suggestions for reducing her weight will be greatly appreciated.

Right now I've got her on Nutro Ultra Weight Management formula dog food and cookies to match.

She has arthritis and I'm looking for a med to help with that so I can get her exercising more.

Thanks from John B. & Page

SnowDancer
May 5th, 2006, 11:14 AM
My Eskimo is also on a diet - and it is awful - worse for me I keep telling him. Day 1 was April 5 - he lost 13 ozs. the the first 9 days, then only 2 ozs. since. Our vet gave us a bag of the R/D low calorie food - it does contain corn which did not bother our hounds when they were alive, but Eskies are particularly sensitive to corn and before we switched him to a corn free Salmon based food they were thinking of putting him on a digestive enzyme due to major output. So we couldn't just put him on R/D. We have cut back even more on his Salmon kibble - sad thing is I realized he was getting a bit heavier about a month before his April 4 physical - he turned 2 on April 1 so I expect he now has his adult "portly" figure. He gained 5 lbs. between Jan. 23 and April 4 which was too much considering he should only weigh about 22 lbs. so we are looking at a weight loss of 23% of his body weight. So we have greatly increased his exercise, give him the R/D instead of his already low fat cookies, my husband has been cut off from giving him anything unless I break it down into pieces - I can make 10 pieces of something from the size of one piece my husband would give him - and my husband now gives him only one piece of cat kibble when near the cat instead of 6. But it is slow going. In the morning I put a few small pieces of chopped apple into his Kong instead of cookies; during our dinner he gets a bit of cooked carrot or sometimes peas - anything that will fool him into thinking he is getting something. Nordic breeds do have a tendency to develop thyroid disease - especially Poms. He is not exhibiting any signs of this as yet but maybe when older, but a slow metabolism for sure. I wish there had been one definite culprit - say like the very high fat cookies given as training treats by a certain big box Pet Store - but all of his cookies are natural and low fat. He is grabbing at everything on the street - even more so than usual - and with grass clippings (chunks) having to remain on Toronto lawns he is grabbing those. Last night my husband said that grass doesn't have calories -well Cows get fat so who knows. I think it will just take time and you will probably have to do as we are - cut back on food, cookies everything and increase exercise. He was never food aggressive with me until this diet - we had an "argument" over a twig on the street - me trying to get it out as my fingers were held behind his huge canines. He wouldn't bite me - his eyes were pleading. Welcome to the diet challenge.

technodoll
May 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM
sounds like your dogs are starving... while not losing any weight on crappy food filled with unsoluble fiber, they are not getting any proper nutrition :(

any reasons not to try a natural raw diet? not the complicates one with supplements and pulped veggies and all that... just what mother nature intended: meat, bones, organ meats, fish, eggs... overweight dogs on proper raw diets are almost unhead of. eliminate the grains, the processed foods, the chemicals and all that and what you have left is a very healthy, lean & muscular dog no matter the breed, size or age. worth looking into, IMO.
:highfive:

Rottielover
May 5th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I can vouch raw diet can help a dog lose weight....Harley was on it for awhile, but I had to put him back on kibble because he was losing weight. Did not want that...

erykah1310
May 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM
She has arthritis and I'm looking for a med to help with that so I can get her exercising more.

The vet can prescribe good medications for this, however Puppy who was 230 lbs and now is down to 170 also gets a daily dose of Glucosamine and Chondratin(sp?) with some MSM. Also with an arthritic dog excersise is important!!!! Not long strenuous sessions but a few short walks a day is needed to keep the joints moving.
Puppy lost his weight just from playing with the other dogs and of course i cut all table scraps out of his diet ( his previous owner fed him LOTS) also a reduced calorie food and I would feed him several smaller meals through out the day as apposed to one large meal.
Good luck

Beaglemom
May 5th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I had the same problem and still do every so often with my Beagle, Misty. She has pretty bad arthritis and her weight has to be constantly monitored.

The best thing I can recommend is to be extra vigilant about the food and how much of it you are giving your dog. This means using a measuring cup during feedings. This also means monitoring every single treat and extra tidbit your dog gets. Misty's food is carefully measured everyday and her treats are also carefully monitored. She is not allowed more than a certain number. Feeding high quality food is also extremely important. We don't feed Misty a weight loss/management type of diet, but a regular one. We also feed twice a day so that she doesn't feel hungry all the time and she gets a snack mid day (one of her allotted treats). Everything your dog eats contributes to the extra calories that will cause the weight gain.

Exercise is also extremely important, not only for weight loss but for the arthritis as well. Moderate exercise is best, don't overdo it as her joints will become very sore afterwards.

For her arthritis, I would strongly recommend a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. My dog is getting Sasha's Blend daily and it has worked wonderfully on her. She is even able to play with our puppy, Princess. They have a great time together in the backyard chasing eachother.

If you don't see any weight loss at all, I would strongly recommend some blood work and tests be run to make sure there are not other underlying problems that are contributing to her weight gain and preventing her from losing weight. She could have a thyroid problem, cushings disease, etc. I would discuss this with your vet.

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM
sounds like your dogs are starving... while not losing any weight on crappy food filled with unsoluble fiber, they are not getting any proper nutrition :(
I agree! Fillers full of starch and no nutrients? Blech! IMO, the best way is to gradually reduce the regular food. A slow unnoticeable decrease in quantity along with a steady increase in physical activity.:)

coppperbelle
May 6th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Low calorie foods are a gimick (sp) in my opinion. Your dog would be better off eating a regular holistic good quality food. You will have to reduce the amount you are feeding gradually so he doesn't notice the difference. This along with regular exercise will help the weight come off. Make sure to start slowly and increas gradually. I would also substitue the dog cookies which are extremely high in calories with pieces of carrot.