*Can ship anywhere
Serious inquiries only
Call 514 606-1946

Carina
December 28th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Ewwww.

What in heck is a Golgie-poo and why is it worth $700 ??? :rolleyes:
Or a $500 Maltee-poo?
Or a $1000 pet store 12 week old Golden Retriever?

Oh wait these are Canadian dollars. Well still...
Unfortunately there's websites and classifieds like this all over the place. I could post worse ones selling thousands and thousands of puppies - we take credit cards! We ship anywhere! Oh lordy.

People who buy these dogs are ABSOLUTE MORONS. . I'm sorry, but they are. If people wouldn't buy them, nobody would be breeding them...

Luba
December 29th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Isn't it disgusting Carina

I would like to set them up I really would!!

daisy18216
December 29th, 2003, 05:58 PM
What a bunch of jacka@$!! People like them don't deserve to be able to have any animals. These are only money hungry people, who aren't thinking of the consequences.

I can't stand people like this.:mad:

mona_b
December 29th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Man that just pisses me off....I get so ticked when I see ads like that.And the sad part is people actually buy these dogs.....The thing now is a Labradoodle...And they are going for big bucks....These people have to be stopped.If you want to know what they look like,just so a search on them.

wAggie
December 30th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Luba... how do u wanna set them up?

Luba
December 30th, 2003, 01:06 AM
Oh u know me and my mind how it works

go in u/c and video tape the aholes

daisy18216
December 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Luba, that sounds like a plan to me.

It just seems like people like them get away with doing dumb stuff like this all the time. They need to harshen the law on animals. If they can have harsh laws for humans, then they should have harsh laws for the animals too.

That's just me though, and that's what I think.

LavenderRott
December 30th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Oh, how I wish I lived in Canada! You guys have too much fun.

Luba
December 30th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Laughs

Come on to Canada :)

and yes penalties should obviously be more strict. Judicial system just don't work.

If justice is supposed to be blind, maybe it needs a working dog (seeing eye dog) to show it the way ;)

RuffNTumble
December 30th, 2003, 02:44 PM
I read most of the ads, and the one that struck me was the one who cannot keep her puppy because of work. A 3 month-old puppy, from PJ.s (which probably cost her, what? $2000 in that store? No offense to any PJ lovers here, but how they can charge $900 (canadian albeit) for a Lab Collie X (not even a Labradoodle, or Schnoodle or whatever the "new breeds" are these days) is BEYOND my comprehension. But I digress.) My point is that this is a vicious cycle! People breed these dogs, sell them to petstores via newspapers who sell them to non-screened, irresponsible people who love puppies, and then they put them right back in the paper where the store got them from! I know that with my work schedule, I cannot have a puppy, I will probably never be able to get a puppy. I do, however, have a rescued senior great dane who fits my lifestyle perfectly. People need to start making responsible decisions when it comes to pets. What shocks me is the price people ask for their dogs, but also the amount of people putting their own pets up for sale after having them for a few months. Grow up people, a pet is a part of your family, and you are a part of theirs. How would you like to be with someone for a month and then be moved again? I would love to go get the statistics of "breeder" to pet store to owner back to newspaper. I'm sure the results would insult and sadden me.
Sorry for my ranting, but I hate to see so many people wanting to get rid of their pets because of work. Lifestyle change; fine, allergies; fine, but "because of work" did you not have that job a month ago when you got the dog? Breaks my heart.

And I apologize if I've offended anyone.

RuffNTumble
December 30th, 2003, 02:47 PM
oh yeah, and not to reply to my own post, which I realize is a little geeky, but who asks $250 for a DSH cat???? you can go to a rescue shelter and get one for, what, 1/5 of that price? COME ONE PET STORES!!!!!! I know you have to make money, but there's a limit!!!! I hate seeing puppies or kittens that are almost 6 or 7 months in petstores! It really depresses me, and you can see they're not doing to well either.

sorry about that again. I'm really fired up, and I'm CANADIAN, so Luba, I'm with you!!! If the authorities won't take care of it, we will!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <- (evil Canadian laughter)

Luba
December 30th, 2003, 05:19 PM
Okay folks here's some more from the OSPCA

http://www.ospca.on.ca/Dec03_PuppyMill/index.html

1 December, 2003) – Inspectors from the Ontario SPCA removed, on veterinary recommendation, 63 dogs, 6 cats and 7 chickens from a property in the Township of Arran-Elderslie in Bruce County, where they were being kept in what has been described as appalling conditions

“Conditions were appalling and extremely unsanitary with urine-soaked paper for bedding." said Ontario SPCA Senior Inspector for Western Ontario, Darren Grandel. "Many were seen to be spinning around in their tiny cages due to stress. Other dogs were being kept outside, shivering in the snow.”
Donations to help treat and care for the dogs are greatly appreciated. If you would like to help with a donation please call Cathy at 1-888-ONT-SPCA (668-7722) extension 322.

wAggie
December 31st, 2003, 12:03 AM
*tear*

:(

I swear, if I EVER win the lottery, I'm donating money to the animal shelters.... I originally wanted to create my own... but I'd need help with it.... *blushes*

daisy18216
December 31st, 2003, 04:11 PM
That is sooooo sad.:(

I wish I could help the animals more. There's only soo much a person/people can do.

I too wanted to start an animal shelter. A NO KILL Dog animal shelter. We have a NO KILL Cat shelter in this area.

Now if we can only get all the pooches taken care of.:)

wAggie
January 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM
YES, ABSOLUTELY!

I forgot to add that part, after all, that should be the NORM. :mad:

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 10:46 PM
these people are called puppy farmers and use dogs as machines for breeding. we need to educate people about the problem, start by telling your friends and family and everbody you meet about these puppy farmers and that alot of their product (animals) go to pet shops, pet shops are often (not all pet shops) the biggest buyers from these farmers, it must be stopped so dont buy puppies from pet shops, no demand=no supply. and those puppies are subject to the most awful treatment it should not be eocourage by buying from these stores.

daisy18216
January 5th, 2004, 02:12 PM
melanie, that is an excellent idea. :D

Hopefully people will listen, that is a perfect start.

Good thinking!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Luba
January 5th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Yes Melanie great idea!

I've been trying to educate folks on puppy mills and pet store purchases. BUT low and behold they walk through the mall and into the pet store!

They see a cutie pie doggie or kitten and they buy from them!

One day :) there's always hope

mona_b
January 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM
That's where you have to be like me Luba and go right in the pet store.They look at the cute puppies and I ask if they know where they come from.Then I tell them.I also tell them to do a search on puppy mills.But you already know that about me.I've mentioned it in other posts:D ....I for one would love to see a ban on puppies/kittens sold at pet stores.We can educate till we are blue in the face.That won't stop people from buying there.:(

Lucky Rescue
January 5th, 2004, 04:19 PM
We can educate till we are blue in the face.That won't stop people from buying there

That's right. The only way to get pet stores to change their ways is to hit them in the only place they care about - their profits.

Send a letter to any petshops you know of that sell puppies and kittens, and inform them that neither you nor anyone you know will patronize their business until they stop this despicable practice.

Try and get your family and friends to write too - or send one mail with many names on it.

And never buy any pet supplies from such places.

Luba
January 5th, 2004, 04:20 PM
HAHAH Mona lol I DO!! hahaha

However I try to stay away from those pet stores

Wouldn't u just like to have a little speaker set up somewhere remote location you have a microphone and you can speak right into their ears.

THIS IS YOUR INNER SELF SPEAKING! WALK AWAY FROM THE STORE! PUT DOWN THE PUPPY AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS EMPTY!

melanie
January 5th, 2004, 05:18 PM
QUOTE - We can educate till we are blue in the face.That won't stop people from buying there.:( [/B][/QUOTE]

well i wouldnt say that, many people that do not have access to these sort of discussion areas or dog groups are often unaware of what goes on, some pups in stores look healthy and happy so it is easy for the average person to assume things are good, and the pup is fine. I myself didnt know what a puppy farm was until a year ago, and i am very well educated, not everybody knows the details of this sort of stuff, my own sister didnt know what a puppy farm was until i informed (educated) her, and she was really shocked, she couldnt understand why society and the government would allow this sort of thing, and she is a well educated girl, she just didnt have the right information, and maybe it is not education, just supplying people with the right information. but i dont think this is a widly advertised issue so not many people have the right info to make informed decisions or even know. we cannot change anything without informing the general public of what goes on, not everybody is up on animal right issues so it is only fair to try to bring them up to speed through education and information and therefore enable them to make informed decisions ;)

mona_b
January 5th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Geez Luba,hubby and daughter are going to commit me soon.You crack me up everytime.And they just look at me and shake their head.

melanie,I think you misunderstood a bit.I know people that I have educated about the puppy mill and pet stores and byb.This is from people wanting to get a puppy.I talk them out of it.Tell them to adopt.Or give them info on Reliable reputable breeders that I know.But guess what,they still go to the pet store and to the byb's.Then they have come to me and say the puppy is sick.Sorry,I should have said what I meant by that response.:(

Luba
January 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Who me?

I'll visit you when you get Form 1'd don't worry dear!

mona_b
January 5th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Well just you make sure that you bring me lots of candy.LMAO.

Spoiled
January 6th, 2004, 07:29 PM
This is a little off the topic, but have you ever noticed the condition of the petstore fish? I own fish myself, and I really like them, but when I see the conditions of petstore fish it makes me so mad. Probably 80% of the fish bought from petstores die. There are so many unhealthy fish out there. I have a Chichlid, and I want to get a buddy for him, and was looking at the fish at a petstore. I couldn't believe the what the sign said:

"Sale on African Chichlids only $4.99. No guarantee"

No wonder there was no garantee on these poor fishies. The poor things were almost dead, and floating vertical with head up. At the local petstore where I live, almost all tanks have at least one dead fish in them. The feeder fish most days have at least five dead fish stuck to the pump, or floating around at the top of the cage, or on the bottom. All of these fish have been eaten off of by the other fish. And how do you find a responsible breeder for fish? You can find a breeder for anything else, but the little pets get sold at petstores. Mice, hampsters, fish, rats, birds. They all get sold at petstores, and if you see one in a newspaper, you can almost garantee that it came from a petstore, and the pet had babies. Sorry for my ranting :mad:

Oh and I also totaly agree about your conversation about petstore puppies and kittens. :)

melanie
January 6th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Spoiled you are so right, i am always noticing fish and esp bird at the pet shop in the most disgusting conditions, I think alot of the problem is how society view animals, a good part of society just dont see animals as anything but an accessory, one that is often kept while it is cute then dumped later on, if we all saw every animal (from fish to cow) as a valuable member of our society with a valid contribution things would be alot different. but i always make sure to lecture and harass shop owners about conditions of animals such as native birds in small cages with 1 wing span width. Hey thay say they have a right to sell, i have just as much right to give them a hard time for dodgy practice, and dont be shy, if we dont stand up for animal rights who will??
now get out there and give it to them, stand up for those who cannot express them selves :D

Luba
January 6th, 2004, 08:42 PM
OMG spoiled thats horrible.

Right why should they care if a few fish die right

JERKOFFS

wAggie
January 6th, 2004, 09:02 PM
OMG yes!

My dad's had fish practically from the day he was born!

every time we enter the fish dept.... daaamn, there's fish swimming upside-down, floating a top of the water DEAD, and worse DECAYING.

like, REALLY, u'r gonna buy fish from such a place? I HOPE NOT!

:mad:

Spoiled
January 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I think the petstores do it because they think that people don't know where else to get pets. This is especialy true with fish. Have you ever seen an add anywhere that says "fish for sale"? I've never seen a thing like it except at a petstore, and there cirtainly aren't fish breeders where I live! If there were, I'd buy from them if they had healthy fish, but you kind of wonder, because if there are fish diseases at the petstores the breeders must have them in their tanks to! It's also horrible that people feed their fish eating fish feeder fish. Why can't they find something else like worms for their fish to eat? I guess its just nature, but still....some of the cutest little fishies get eaten.

On second thought why should big fish eat little fish? Do big dogs eat little dogs? Do big cats eat little cats? Not usualy, and we cirtainly don't give our cats and dogs little cats and dogs for breakfast! There is such a thing as PET FOOD!!!

I notice birds to! I saw one with hardly any feathers left! I guess the poor bird plucked them off because of stress.:(

mona_b
January 6th, 2004, 11:00 PM
The worse place to buy fish is Wallmart.It is nasty.Dead fish everywhere.And for those who know me,I'm sure you know what came next.YUP,I gave them a piece of my mind.I told the person that this is totaly unexceptable.Kids are coming by to see the fish.And no one takes the dead ones out.This is disgusting.Then I left.Oh,and don't get me started about parents who beat their kids in a mall.Lets just say I speak up.:D

melanie
January 6th, 2004, 11:16 PM
well spoiled, i guess the shops dont know much about their product, ie putting predatory fish in with dinner (little fish) as with everything within the biosphere, lots of fish have a variety of physical requirements and variety dietary requirements (as im sure you know), but no my dog does not eat other dogs (but who knows what is truly in pet food) but she does eat a range of other animals fish, cows, lamb, poultry ect. It is all the food chain and natural, what is not natural is forcing them into small conditions that do not give the little ones a fighting chance and keeping the poor little buggers in bad conditions and treating them like a product. recent studies ( New Scientist, Nov, 03) have proven that fish feel, yes they have a type nervous system, therefore the fish in the shops are actually suffering physical pain and discomfort, therefore it is not just a matter of selling injured animals ect. but the fish's own physical comfort, and the funny thing is if most people saw a dog in extreme pain they would say something, but we stand by and allow thousands of not so socially 'significant' species die in the most extreme pain and conditions everyday with little thought, strange isnt it.

Spoiled
January 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Ewwww:eek: I never thought about whats in the dog food! I'm really going to give the petstores a piece of my mind when I go next. I can't stand it. And you say the fish feel? That makes it more horrible. I know they can feel scared, because I used to have a fish that was scared of me coming up to his tank, and I have a very shy snail at the moment. But I wonder what the fish would be "feeling" as a big fish chews them up for his dinner one day? I'm just so mad at the petstores!:mad:

melanie
January 7th, 2004, 03:42 PM
the little fish would probably only feel the initial pain of the attack, as the fish would go into shock pretty much immeadiatly after the first attack (but im not a fish so it may be alot more horrific), so it is scientifically proven now that fish feel pain (i will not tell you how they came to this conclusion, it was quite a cruel set of experements, but we would never have known if they wernt done), it just sucks that there are people and business in this society that can happily treat animals this way, it seems though that alot of people only care about the welfare fo those animal we keep as pets, ie fish, dogs, cats, birds ect. and those we see every day, but what about the millions of animals that are slaughtered daily across the globe to provide MEAT products for dinner tables everywhere, the animal we dont see. these animal are treated so terribly, they are treated as meat products and the way they are slaughtered is just disgusting, it is only that a few thousand years ago and more recently in western society, that we chose dogs ect as pets, what if we had chosen cows and pigs as our companions, would it then be the norm to eat dogs and cats instead, think about it, are not all animal equal, so is a pet shop doing any worse than the farmer that supplies dinner???;)

chico2
January 8th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Actually Melanie,cats and dogs are a regular diet in many countries,mostly Asian.The Chinese(in China)will eat just about anything that moves.Korea,Vietnam not much better..
The latest horror-stories out of China,the cruel killing (electrocution,drowning etc)of 10.000 civetcats,badgers and other animals because they are SUSPECTED to carry the Sars virus is beyond belief.
Blaming the farmer for people craving meat,is hardly fair...cruelty in slaughter-houses,yes it's cruel...the best we as citizens can do,is to press our government to change the 100yr old animal-cruelty law,also stay away from pet-shops.There are pet-food stores that do not sell live animals of any kind.
Even in the States,they punish people more severe than here in Canada,the SPCA in the US has almost police-power.
The one story out of Toronto,where Kensington the cat was tortured to death,made me sick and gave me nightmares,but after hearing the verdict these vermins of humanity got,I lost all faith in our justice-system.Nobody in our courtsystem cared about this poor little cat.

Luba
January 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM
chico

I'm well aware of the Kensington cat situation
They're actually selling tshirts now to raise money to help
stop this type of thing

Know exactly what ur talkin bout

chico2
January 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Luba.
Not living in Toronto I have not heard of any T-shirt sale or any other action in the memory of poor Kensington.
Unfortunately if you care about the treatment of animals,be it live-stock,cats or dogs or wild animals,you are labeled a"crazed activist".
I know a man(former column writer in the Star)Barry Kent McKay,a naturalist,wild-life artist etc...he is giving me horrific examples of animal-cruelty across the globe,his latest challenge is to try to stop the slaughter of thousands of un-wanted horses.He has also been involved in trying to stop slaughter-house atrocities,but in our society the mighty $$$$ speaks the loudest.
I have been told I am a bit of a"nut-case"will not go into a store that sell live lobster or trout:) the thought that the lobsters are just existing to be boiled alive makes me sick,oh well,you be the judge!
I was unaware of what went on in China until maybe 10 yrs ago,when I by accident saw this horrific clip ,where a man laughingly threw a live cat into boiling water to have him skinned easier..and later become lunch.The wild markets in China(and other Asian countries)show stacks of cages with live cats,dogs,civetcats,monkeys and anything else live.Well,I better stop while I'm ahead,because there is not a darned thing we can do about it,Brigitte Bardot is the only one who raised her voice. No country in the world should deal with China until they improve their Human Rights and their eating-habits,but of course,the mighty $$$$ again has most power.

wAggie
January 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM
I don't want to seem to harsh, but who's to dictate which animal is edible and which should be held sacred and kept as part of a family residing in a house?

each culture is different. we do not have to agree with it, and they will continue to exist.

I doubt most of you are strict vegetarians as well...

so put that sock back in your mouths, ppl... shesh.

how many of us really pray after we sacrifice an animal to eat before it is killed and cooked like the natives did back in the day...

my 2 cents...

Luba
January 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Chico you aren't a nutcase, the people who do this to animals are!

The lobster thing always gets me. People go into a restaurant pick a live lobster from the tank AND some restaurants even let you put it in the boiling water yourself.

SMH

I was just going to have breakfast before I read your post Chico, about the cat and I'm not so hungry right now.

Regardless of culture and beliefs. If you are to slaughter an animal for human consumption, then it should be done painlessly.

I don't bash people from other countries for what they consume as food, because those countries are for the most part poor and borderline or fully third world. If one does not have enough food, then you resort to things to keep you and your family alive. This is just part of life.

What I disagree with is the inhumane conditions some of them keep the animals in, and how they kill them before consumption.

Humbly, I respect and admire those that do whatever they can for survival purposes.

Yet strangely, we would look differently at a homeless person in Toronto striking up a pit fire on the sidewalk of Bay street and putting a cat on an open fire.

Something to ponder and think about! Sorry for the visual graphic.

:D

chico2
January 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM
wAggie! I understand your reasoning and people starving in the third World will and must eat anything to survive.
Such is however not the case in China,the delicasies like civet-cat,badgers and rats are served in exclusive restaurants...
What bothers me most,is the total disregard for a creature feeling pain,all creatures deserve to be treated with care,even the ones being slaughtered.
This debate could go on and on,but culture should not be an excuse in 2004,events like bull-fighting,the running of the bulls in Pamplona should also be banned..the excuse of culture should not include torturing an animal.
Because the Chinese have no feeling for their wildlife,except the profitable Panda,does not mean the rest of the world has to accept it and don't think the Chinese government does not have the money to euthanise 10.000 civet-cats,badgers humanely, they do.
There were maybe 3 civet-cats to a cage,first dipped in disinfectant,then drowned and burned...it takes about 5 minutes to die by drowning,or they put electric rods to the cage and electricuted them and that has nothing to do with culture.Also wAggie I actually am vegetarian,after reading the horrid stories from slaughter-houses.

melanie
January 9th, 2004, 04:58 PM
the best thing out of this post is that you are all showing concern and respect for animals and the discussion that has been generated, at least we can all see that we are really a bunch of thinkers, if only there were alot more people out there like us. oh and go chico2 i totally agree, my country's government is in bed with china and it infuriates me, hey, boycot the olympics until they pick up their standards. But let me make clear i would not begrudge a person eating meat anywhere, there are people starving everywhere, I just don't like it. yup waggie, i am a very strict vegetarian, i will not eat anything with animal products in it and i have not since i was a very small child, i would never eat flesh or anything that has ever had a heart beat, i will not even eat eggs, and yes i am the biggest pain at dinner parties and often go unfed :D :D