Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

KONG Hygene

jrfrenzy
May 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I want to introduce the Kong to Odin, our 18 week old PRT. I plan to give it to him in his crate when we're going to be out of the house for more than an hour. This does not happen frequently though.

I'm curious what Kong users do with the Kong if there is left over stuff jammed inside? If it's hard treats or kibble there isn't much of an issue. However, most advice I receive suggests putting something soft in - like PB or cheese, or canned food... and then freeze it.

If I'm not gone for hours on end and the contents are not consumed, do you have to clean it out each time, or refreeze it for another time?

Kate

Writing4Fun
May 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
LOL! You know ... I've never really had that problem. :D

But, yes, if you have any leftover schmootz in there, just rinse it out (plain water and a baby's bottle brush from the dollar store works well). I don't think re-freezing it is a good idea - now that it's been covered in doggy drool. Seriously, though, dogs are very resourceful at getting every last morsel out of there. Phoebe will drop hers down the stairs in an attempt to dislodge any bits that she can't remove with her tongue. ;)

BernerLver
May 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I put my Kongs in the dishwasher. It gets them super clean. I have a few so that I can rotate and have a clean one for them every day or every other day.

jessi76
May 5th, 2006, 09:56 AM
I keep a "KONG toothbrush" by my kitchen sink. It's just a cheapy toothbrush that I only use to clean the kong out. works great. The dishwasher is probably the easiest way, but I fill the kong more often than I run my dishwasher... so I just scrub it out w/ the toothbrush.

joeysmama
May 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM
This may be a silly question, but Cooper's Kong is so tiny, it should be called a klink or something like that. :rolleyes: But they don't get their tongues stuck int here do they? I've only used kibble but he just adores peanut butter and I thought that might keep him more occupied, and be a special treat as well.

jessi76
May 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM
This may be a silly question, but Cooper's Kong is so tiny, it should be called a klink or something like that. :rolleyes: But they don't get their tongues stuck int here do they? I've only used kibble but he just adores peanut butter and I thought that might keep him more occupied, and be a special treat as well.

lol - get their tongues stuck in a kong? it's never happened w/ my dog. I HAVE to put some sort of sticky something in it - if I just put kibble inside, my dog will pick it up and just drop it repeatedly so the kibble bounces out.

actually I have to go get ANOTHER kong... Tucker just destroyed Black Kong #2.

mafiaprincess
May 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I have a toothbush by the sink for kongs, and break a wooden skewer in half and use it to unstick crusted crap..
I used to dishwasher mine, but even on the top rack after a while the two holes in the kong were looking ragged on the last kong we had.

Prin
May 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Has he ever used a kong before? My dad's Jack shreds them to pieces- you don't want that happening when you aren't home and there are little pieces to choke on. The black ones are stronger rubber than the red ones...

jessi76
May 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
The black ones are stronger rubber than the red ones...

Tucker just killed his 2nd large black kong. Once I noticed black CHUNKS on the floor, it went straight to the trash. I just got a Squirrel Dude, virtually the same thing but in a squirrel shape. I'm not expecting it to last all too long, but I'm hoping....

I was going to get Tucker the KING KONG, but honestly, the empty cavity on that one is just TOO big - if I stuffed that, it'd just be too much for him.

mafiaprincess
May 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
And the blue kongs are xray-findable if that makes sense.
I don't have the package for mine anymore, but I bought the blue vet kong, just in case Cider wanted to take a chunk out of it at some point. Shows up clearly on xrays apparently, versus standard red and black and puppy ones don't.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 12:57 AM
And the blue kongs are xray-findable if that makes sense.
I don't have the package for mine anymore, but I bought the blue vet kong, just in case Cider wanted to take a chunk out of it at some point. Shows up clearly on xrays apparently, versus standard red and black and puppy ones don't.
lol I'm glad I haven't had a dog yet that has required toys that are xrayable...:D Good idea though.

mafiaprincess
May 6th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I've never needed it.. but the puppy kong was worn from chewing/ dishwasher wear (being that lighter rubber) That when I had to replace it, they were almost the same cost red vs blue.. so I figured I'd guard agaisnt oops while I was at it.